collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: cutie mark and symbols?  (Read 1210 times)

Offline InkyMilk

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
cutie mark and symbols?
« on: June 02, 2013, 11:45:21 PM »
So, I know the term cutie mark is primarily a G4 thing, but they're still referencing the same exact thing as a symbol-that is, those little pictures on a pony's flank. Again, they both literally mean the same thing.

Now personally, I think the term cutie mark is really adorable, so I like using it even when referencing my non-G4 ponies. Yet I've seen quite often that many folks around here seem to get a little uppity when someone doesn't refer to G1s as having symbols...why? I really don't get it. If they weren't the same thing I could understand, like when some fans confused Flutter Ponies and Pegasus as the same thing as they're both very different, but a symbol and a cutie mark? Unless I'm really out of the loop and a symbol ISN'T the same thing as a cutie mark? Or does it really just come down to G1 v. G4 subconscious rivalry?

Offline Jinxxy

• Trade Count: (+96)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Fancy Rats, Fursuiting and Neon green ponies!
    • View Profile
    • http://mlparena.com!!!
Re: cutie mark and symbols?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 11:56:53 PM »
There were two threads like this recently about Cutie Marks VS Symbols.
They should be a few pages back if you want to find them. Lots of different opinions!
I think it's down to personal taste really. I call them all Symbols myself, but there are those that call them Cutie Marks and even butt tattoos! :D
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Also seeking QBs Hat, 2017 easter egg RD

Offline InkyMilk

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 11:59:39 PM »
Oh dang, that's what I get for only looking a couple pages back  >_< My bad. Thanks! I'll definitely search back a few more!

Offline mul-ta

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Actually a Furbob
    • View Profile
    • garden
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 12:39:26 AM »
Well, I haven't happened upon any of the previous threads, so I guess I'll just reply here. Personally I reserve the term "cutie mark" for the later generations, but don't think it's really something to get into a fight over. I guess it's a matter of course for many older collectors.

The term "cutie mark" was introduced in G3, if memory serves. Because the term didn't exist for earlier generations, I don't really feel the need to posthumously name them "cutie marks." Besides, I don't think it's an adorable term at all. (The Finnish version "söpöysmerkki" is even less adorable.) Third, it's a question of habit as well. I'm a G1-only collector and know next to nothing about G4. I was raised on G1 ponies and used to call their symbols "kuvio," which is Finnish for "figure, symbol."

Offline Dludnerad

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • ice cream and llamas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 12:49:54 AM »
I think it's that 'cutie mark' sounds so saccharine. I imagine boy ponies would find it embarressing :)

I see it... Can you see it too...? :shocked:

Offline mul-ta

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Actually a Furbob
    • View Profile
    • garden
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 12:57:14 AM »
I think it's that 'cutie mark' sounds so saccharine. I imagine boy ponies would find it embarressing :)

Or even some girl ponies, for that matter. :)

Offline josiekat

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • There's no such thing as a bait Bluebelle!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 05:08:30 AM »
I use them pretty interchangeably. It's sad that someone would get so uppity over something so trivial, but that's the way people are. lol

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 05:25:07 AM »
I use the term symbol for all gens, just out of preference. I only use 'cutie mark' for G4s and when I'm forced to... like for the CMC... Too me cutie mark makes me think of beauty mark which why would you want a beauty mark on a boy pony (or even tomboy ponies)
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Hexi

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2013, 05:34:07 AM »
I prefer to use Symbol for G1s and upwards and Cutie Mark for my G4s. it's just preference.
When G3s were about i was under the impression that the heart on their hooves were called cutie marks?

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2013, 05:39:26 AM »
To me symbol seems more appropriate. The mark is a symbol of who that pony is. I don't think "cutie" has anything to do with it other than I guess cutie mark sounds adorable. I don't use cutie mark or like it, but I don't particularly care what people call it either. To each their own.
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2013, 06:48:41 AM »
I personally don't find it embarrassing myself. No offense to those who do.

Also, I personally love the idea of calling them cutie marks, because it is derived from beauty marks, which is something that "identifies" you as an individual, and a ponies cutie mark (or symbol) is always something that represents the ponies "identity" with "who they are", even before G4's idea that a cutie mark was a metaphor for ones purpose in life, that needed to be earned a cutie mark/symbol always had relevance to the pony's "identity" in someway; as early as G1 it matched either the pony's personality, what they were good at, what they enjoyed doing, or simply just the name of the pony.  It would sometimes even be all, or many of the above.

For those of you who prefer the term symbol, you could if you wanted make the same argument that a symbol "symbolizes" the ponies identity, but I have a deep nostalgic attachment to the term cutie mark due to what it means to me, the term maybe something I learned recently, but it reminds me of an important time in my life (which is also why I like the CMC so much).
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 06:57:16 AM by MJNSEIFER »
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline ravengusty

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2013, 06:57:55 AM »
I've used both but I guess being a G1 collector (mostly) I tend to say symbol though I have called them cutie marks before now. It's really up to the person if you want to call it a cutie mark go ahead it's not illegal  :silly: and no one can stop you (or should). It's just personal preference, I'd imagine G4 only collectors use cutie mark and laugh at us old beans for calling it a symbol.

Butt mark would be cool, or rump rune  :rofl: me bad  :cool: I'll stick to symbol mainly because it's what I've always called them.
my new fan page https://www.facebook.com/princessofpowerukfan
:socks:
Just so you know...I open boxes! My cash, my pony, my choice  :biggrin:
Respect to Box lovers you have stronger will than I do...peace  :)

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2013, 07:21:00 AM »

Butt mark

Lol everytime I get a new pony my wife inspects it and gives them weird names. I remember when I got Gypsy she was all "is this Diamond *** ring pony?" Around here they are forever known as *** marks. :haha:
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

PandoraFox

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2013, 07:38:47 AM »
rump rune

I say this is the best term for it I've ever heard, can we switch to using this? XD

Offline Lady Starflower

• Trade Count: (+246)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Brazilian & Greek Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2013, 10:39:21 AM »
I always just say symbol since I was mainly a G1 collector until recently. I usually have myself a little laugh because you can usually tell which Gen the collector likes best when talking about their symbols/cutie marks.
Full Wishlist~*~Sales~*~
Grails: Greek(blue)Medley, Greek Sunlight(Silver Clouds) and Brazil Duck Soup.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal