collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How do you decide what to add to your collection?  (Read 1437 times)

Offline StarryEmerald24

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
Re: How do you decide what to add to your collection?
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2022, 12:43:18 PM »
I started with G4. My collecting has been a lot of, oh I'll only collect this particular series of the toys or merch, and then kind of expanding to other areas when there is a dry spell for what I was initially after.

I think I would like to eventually have one of nearly everything, like a complete G1 US collection or almost every G4 brushable, but there are just some things that don't appeal to me as much so I draw a line or at least make them the least priority. If there is something I want that's part of a set, I try to get the complete set, even if some things in the set are meh to me. If it's a set I don't care for, I try not to collect any of it, even if there is a particular piece in it I like.

Stalking online listings religiously and seeing what great stuff other people find also inspires what I aim to get :P

Offline Kitcatepic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
  • I've been living in the state of dreaming
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2022, 01:48:45 PM »
When buying ponies at average price I will just go for whatever pony looks good to me I want to try completing some sets such as the first twice as fancy ponies but it will be hard for me because I have a hard time focusing on long term goals I also check Facebook marketplace frequently to see if they have any good pony lots and will sometimes go on eBay and search the name of each non mane six pony to see if someone is selling them for a good price
long live chrysalis

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2022, 01:57:27 AM »
@SpacePinto which 6 do you have and do you plan for any more?

Fizzy, Wind Whistler, Gusty, Heart Throb, Posey and Mimic, I also wanted to buy a few more that were in the cartoon (like Masquerade or Lickety Split or Surprise) but that was long ago.

I love how decisive that is. Those are some seriously gorgeous ponies if you're only going to have 6.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline katrine2309

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Every day is someone's birthday - celebrate it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2022, 05:29:52 AM »
Pure nostalgia. I have all my childhood ponies still, so I ended up buying those I always wanted as a kid. And then I ended up also buying some I didn’t even know existed but would have loved to have as a kid: like Baby Bowtie and Macau Jenny.

I love accessories, and have every accessory to all of my ponies (except the ribbons). I also collect the backcards and stickers as well ;)

This is my current collection only missing NSS Buttons, baby Buttons, baby Cherries Jubilee, Birthflower August and Gypsy.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Collection 2016 by Katrine, on Flickr
« Last Edit: July 04, 2022, 05:35:41 AM by katrine2309 »
Visit my Flickr for doll & pony pictures!

My wantlist - pony wear, backcards & puffy/flat stickers

Looking for Puffy Stickers: Ripple (seapony), Gypsy and Gusty on original backing

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2022, 04:19:29 PM »
Pure nostalgia. I have all my childhood ponies still, so I ended up buying those I always wanted as a kid. And then I ended up also buying some I didn’t even know existed but would have loved to have as a kid: like Baby Bowtie and Macau Jenny.

I love accessories, and have every accessory to all of my ponies (except the ribbons). I also collect the backcards and stickers as well ;)

This is my current collection only missing NSS Buttons, baby Buttons, baby Cherries Jubilee, Birthflower August and Gypsy.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Collection 2016 by Katrine, on Flickr

Well, that's completely adorable! I love how you picked the three white unicorns together. I also love Baby Bow Tie...
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline katrine2309

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Every day is someone's birthday - celebrate it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2022, 10:25:12 AM »

Well, that's completely adorable! I love how you picked the three white unicorns together. I also love Baby Bow Tie...

Ah, thanks! I should really take a new collection picture though. This is a couple of years old. I just love all the pastels! :biggrin: would love to see others collection too!
Visit my Flickr for doll & pony pictures!

My wantlist - pony wear, backcards & puffy/flat stickers

Looking for Puffy Stickers: Ripple (seapony), Gypsy and Gusty on original backing

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2022, 01:50:08 PM »

Ah, thanks! I should really take a new collection picture though. This is a couple of years old. I just love all the pastels! :biggrin: would love to see others collection too!

Beth did a post with all of her recently, and I have some in the link in my sig, but not a whole display  :) I need to take some new photos too... but then I like the old ones.

Offline toyjunky

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2022, 10:46:28 AM »
I only have been buying G1's from an indoor swap meet for the most part. So for me this basically comes down to two things, condition and cost. I'm not buying duplicates at this point, so if I have a decent one already, I am not likely to spend money on a duplicate pony (maybe if it was absolutely perfect I might think about it for an upgrade)

1) Condition -
Is the pony basically okay? Anything major visibly wrong (tail rust, mold, etc)? Has the hair been chopped? Do I think I can get the marks off and are the marks in areas that are not that obvious or hidden by hair?

I tend to stand there for quite some time looking them over, running the hair through my fingers (it's a texture thing - checking for washing, products used in it, or if it feels like original unwashed played with toy), inspecting hair plugs and tails looking for rust and mold. If the pony has mold or major signs of rust or a lot of bad marks or a hair cut it goes back on the shelf. I just don't have the time or energy to be able to spend fixing major issues at this point, and also some lack of know how or confidence that I could fix it.

2) Cost
Assuming that the pony is basically okay, or just a little dirty the question comes down to cost.

How much is it being sold for, and how much cash is currently in my purse when I am there. Having to choose the best ponies of the ones you want because you only have so much money with you. Which to be honest is probably not a bad thing because rather than "OMG I want them all!" it's more of a "Okay....who do I REALLY want to take home today." because otherwise they would all just come home to be rescued.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal