collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 556
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Future Swap Idea.. Round Robin (Its.. Complicated!)  (Read 2503 times)

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
Future Swap Idea.. Round Robin (Its.. Complicated!)
« on: March 31, 2012, 06:40:57 AM »
I'm not really sure what to call this.. And this may be a crazy idea, but it intrigues me and it is something I would have fun doing.. So I imagine that there MIGHT be a few more people out there who are interested. Bear with me please  :blush: as I attempt to explain this idea.

The general gist of it is, a custom pony is made as a group. You mail out a bait pony, and In the end, you get the pony back that you originally sent out, and it is fully customized by multiple people in a group effort.

It would likely be a long working time, and because of this, probably not many people interested. However, IF enough people were interested, there could be multiple round robins.

So lets break it down!

1. I prep one of my baits and I send it to person B along with a note containing a few favorite colors and themes.

2. B then begins the custom process. Based on the favorite colors or theme, B then decides the next step to take. FBR? Gems? Eyes? Symbol? B does ONE thing to the pony, jots down some ideas or thoughts and adds them to my note, then mails the pony to C.
(FBR, Symbol, or Eyes)

3. C reads over those notes and decides they are great, but what if we did this a little different? And C adds their own take, adding a bit more to the custom. If it had a FBR, then C may be adding eyes, or gems, or a symbol.  Maybe it didn't get a FBR. Maybe it already has a symbol? Or an outline of a symbol? Or just eyes? C adds SOMETHING to the pony. Then C adds notes and ideas, and passes it on to D.
(Symbol or Eyes)

4. D gets the pony and reads the notes.. You see where this is going? By this point, the pony should be close to needing hair. Add notes, pass it on.
(Symbol, eyes, glitz or hair)

5. E. Should be down to options for Glitz or Hair

6. F. Will finish it up. Add the glitz, or the hair, and seal it. Take care of touchups.

7. A recieves the completed pony.

Everyone involved will have been able to work on each step. If we keep to painted ponies only, no sculpting (unless it's part of your glitz) then the work of creating it should be able to be divided pretty evenly between 6 people.

It is a pretty complex idea, but that's what makes it sound fun to me. It would need at least six participants to make it work I think. I would be willing to organize it, but I would totally want/need a partner. But since I haven't actually participated in a swap yet, I would be totally OK with someone else running this if they felt like it. By the time I would want to start it, I will have been in at least one swap.

If someone is unable to complete their portion, rather than just fall silent, I would ask them to send it to me and I would complete their step. If they DO fall silent and their pony goes AWOL, then I will have been keeping tabs on each pony, and how it has been decorated, and I will take one of my baits and prep it up to the proper point, then ship it to the proper place for it to continue its chain.

Given the complexity of this, I wouldn't want to even start signups till the current swaps are winding down.

I would be interested in any constructive feedback on this ambitious idea. My feelings would greatly appreciate that any "your idea will never work, its doomed to fail" comments just not get mentioned.  The silence will convey that quite nicely.  :yikes: I really would love ideas on how to make it WORK, because this is an idea that really thrills me.

Offline ristvak

• Trade Count: (+88)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Future Swap Idea.. Round Robin (Its.. Complicated!)
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 06:49:16 AM »
Hmm... I seem to remember something like this happening last year (or the year before?), the only twist was that each person added a few plugs of hair (and put a bit of the color they used into a baggie for a tail after it'd been sent around).
I was really excited to see the finished product, but I honestly don't remember what ever happened to the pony or if the swap was completed =/ I know there were a LOT of people involved, so if it didn't finish, that's probably why. If you kept it contained to smaller groups there may be a better likelihood of it going to completion =)

Maybe someone with a better memory could come in and expand on the subject though!
If you haven't received feedback from me, give me a nudge!

Offline daizysellers

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 07:25:25 AM »
I think that was the "Around the World" pony that they shipped out and each member did a plug of hair and signed the pony... I don't know who ended up with the pony, but I think it was a cool idea.  I like the idea of a "Round Robin" pony, however it does sound complicated to keep track of. 
Are you suggesting that each person in the swap send out a pony at the same time so every person always has a pony to work on?

Offline Maniah

• Classifieds
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 07:33:30 AM »
Are you suggesting that each person in the swap send out a pony at the same time so every person always has a pony to work on?

Yes, exactly this. In the end, you will have completed a complete pony. Everyone will complete each step, but they will complete each step on a different pony. In the end, you get your original pony back, along with all of the creation notes, and you will own a custom that was made by six people or so.

I know it sounds complicated to keep track of, but I would be willing to put in the effort to keep track of it. Everyone would get their next address to ship to only after everyone had checked in that they were ready. That way one person doesn't get a pony while they still have one they are finishing up. Each person would have to send me a picture before shipping so I can verify that their step has been completed, and I will keep the pictures in separate files on my computer for each pony, documenting the progress. That way if something happened, I have a visual process log for each individual pony, including who did what, where it has been, and where it will be going.

Offline rybett

• Mintylicious Midwest Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 08:23:08 AM »
Interesting idea. 
:socks:   :frog:

deeleelambbaa

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012, 09:03:47 AM »
That sounds like such a cool idea! Genius!
Sounds like something I do in some of my classes: we each start a story on a piece of notebook paper, then pass it to the person next to us who writes a paragraph then passes it on... the different personalities always ends up with a wacky mash of romance/vampire/action-packed/mystery/comedy novel, so it's an interesting end  ^.^
These resulting ponies will surely be nothing like we've ever seen on the forum before! I'm just picturing a pony mash up between Kanthaka's b.a. pony eyes, darkhorse's metallics, and lovelauraland's epic sculpting... I think I might cry it's so beautiful... :cry: :blush: 

Offline daizysellers

• Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 09:19:31 AM »
I think its a cool idea, however, I think you are going to have to get some long time arena members to back you in this before it will get approved. If it does, I would be interested.

Offline Ellis1342

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Doodle or do not doodle! There is no artist block!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2012, 09:44:22 AM »
I very much like this idea. I think it would be tricky to keep track of and you may want a co-runner. Even if you can't get it approved as an official swap I would be up for a private version. Due to the complexity of this I would say you would want 10 feedback. Newbies may find this a bit much. I would love to get and help do a round robin pony.

Honestly after thinking on it you may want to do it as a private swap to test the idea first and work out the kinks. Ya know? See how long it really does take. I would also suggest trying to keep everyone in the same country Otherwise two people will have to pay more shipping than any of the others.

Example: If I received the pony from Texas (I am in Indiana) but the person after me is in England, I would have to ship 6 times to England. Here is a better break down.

1.England
2.California
3.Arizona
4.New York
5.Texas
6.Indiana

Both players 1 and 6 would end up paying way more shipping then anyone else. You see?

I would love to help you sort out the kinks. Pm me if you like :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Maniah

• Classifieds
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2012, 10:28:10 AM »
Great ideas to think on Ellis!

If it did get approved and I am to run it, I do want and need a co host.

The good thing here is that I plan that it wouldn't be started for a long while yet to let some current swaps end.

And I agree with you that the feedback would need to be set high on this one. I hadn't considered the shipping issue you brought up so thank you. I'll add that to my notes.

I think testing this on a private swap first is a good idea too. I think a simplified version could be tested with four people who use baits that do not need a FBR. Feel free to PM me if Interested.

Offline hyenacub

• Storm Chaser
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Hyenacub on Deviantart!
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2012, 11:45:43 AM »
Interesting idea!  Not my thing, but I wish you luck.  You might think of hosting it just within the USA at first...for shipping costs, as Ellis mentioned.  And after that maybe a second round within Europe....ect.

Either that or rotate the order so people only have to ship overseas once or twice.

I need pics for my MLP site--go here for info!  http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,384452.0.html

Offline daizysellers

• Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2012, 02:19:33 PM »
I'm interested, but at this time I don't have any feedback, so I'm going to lurk around while I finish some private swaps up first. If you do run this at a later time, either as a private swap or as sanctioned swap, I'll see if I rate to be in it. Good luck!

Offline coinoperatedgirl

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I paint stuff.
    • View Profile
    • Coin-Operated Customs
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2012, 02:26:24 PM »
The general gist of it is, a custom fart is made as a group. You mail out a bait fart, and In the end, you get the fart back that you originally sent out, and it is fully customized by multiple people in a group effort.

I love how this came up with the April Fool's pranking in effect  :silly:

Offline DevlishSmooch

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2012, 02:47:48 PM »
I love this idea and would TOTALLY be in (well, if y'all let me  ;) )!

I think the shipping would be ok if each pony had it's own different "schedule".  It would make it more difficult to assign those schedules, though. And keep in mind we are just shiping one pony, not an big swap box.

If this swap does end up happening and I participate, I wouldn't mind having to ship overseas; even if it was for every pony.  I hope that made sense...

My Customs   WANTED: Non-discolored MO Scribbles (an even, creamy white would do)/MOC Bubbles!     DS Ref Sheet

Offline Maniah

• Classifieds
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2012, 02:50:50 PM »
I think I will be typing P0ny a lot the next day or so LOL

I will look into balancing it somewhat so shipping isn't too bad. Easiest way would be to limit it to just the US, but I'll see what I can do.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal