collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Couldn't find what I wanted so I designed my own fabric :D  (Read 479 times)

petitelasouris

• Trade Count: (0)
Couldn't find what I wanted so I designed my own fabric :D
« on: February 20, 2013, 02:43:42 AM »
Hey everyone :) So I've gone a bit crazy sewing my own clothes for my Monster High ice and blob girls. How ever, even after a Spotlight adventure and a huge fabric/trim haul I had tough luck finding some fabric prints that were right for my monsters. Wintery Ice prints were hard to come by and forget about anything slime related!

This is the best sort of slime fabric I found :S
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I ended up buying a bunch of icecream/sweet fabrics instead for miss Blob girl. Cute, but not quite what I was looking for. Although if we're being honest i wish i'd bought enough of the donut fabric for myself- that would make a seriously yummy dress.

Anyway, i sort of had an idea the other day and decided that if i couldn't find what I wanted- I'd make it! So tonight I designed my own fabrics :D

I plan on printing them with Spoonflower, who offer a pretty wide (albeit pricey) variety of materials to print on. I'm just going to grab two cotton test swatches to start with and go from there :) These were quick designs since I'm fairly new to creating my own seamless patterns, i plan to get more detailed the more I practice.

Anyway, i just wanted to share my lightbulb moment, and maybe throw the idea at any other crafty collectors who have trouble finding the right print for their project.

Offline Fräulein_Kim

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Glows in the Dark
    • View Profile
Re: Couldn't find what I wanted so I designed my own fabric :D
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 07:35:37 AM »
I've done prints with them before - They're amazing. Very fast and friendly and the fabric is very good quality for what it is. ^^ (printed on, not woven into it)
Be sure to order one of their colour-swatches where it gives you the hex-code for each colour and do a proper proof before ordering - The colours I had to use looked fairly weird on my monitor but awesome on the actual fabric.

Otherwise - Super neat idea!! I cannot wait to see what you come up with.. :heart:

Offline bewilderness

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 10:39:23 AM »
Your designs look awesome!!

I've got a Spoonflower account, but I haven't done much with it.  When you get set up, I'd love to add you to my favorites or whatever they call that on there.  I've got four designs done, two of them for MH or similar size dolls but I don't have anything for sale yet.  http://www.spoonflower.com/profiles/bewilderness?sub_action=designs.  It's so neat being able to design your own fabric!! 

Offline mermaid_splash

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+167)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 01:28:28 PM »
I love your fabrics!  I wish I were better or more inclined to sew more dolly clothes, but honestly I'm just intimidated!  Can't wait to see more :)

Offline Diamond

• Hostess of the Wine Cellar
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Time will tell a wonderful tale if you listen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 02:22:02 PM »
Neat, we did a little fabric shopping the other night and keep running into the fact that most prints are just too large.  I was thinking of trying some fabric paints, not the tube stuff but jacquarde to make some.
:like: me on FaceBook - Crocus Cottage Creations

Thanks to SdS for my avie

Kobold

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 04:38:00 PM »
Very cool! Show us the final results when you receive the fabric! :)

Feyona

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 09:44:32 PM »
I would love to see printed fabric and especially dress or anything that you decided to sew ^.^ .

petitelasouris

Re: Couldn\\\'t find what I wanted so I designed my own fabric :D
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 02:56:17 AM »
Be sure to order one of their colour-swatches where it gives you the hex-code for each colour and do a proper proof before ordering - The colours I had to use looked fairly weird on my monitor but awesome on the actual fabric.

Otherwise - Super neat idea!! I cannot wait to see what you come up with.. :heart:

Great suggestion! I didn't even think of that at all :) I'm in Australia so it will take a few weeks before anything gets here and can be used, but I'll keep everyone updated. I'm currently fighting with a slug pattern so if I don't qive up that should be up soon :P

Post Merge: February 21, 2013, 03:01:56 AM

If I get better I'd like to do one theme for every monster :) But that all depends on how much spare time I find with uni starting back up next week.

Post Merge: February 21, 2013, 05:21:13 AM

Got this one finished tonight. Man playing with those textures was hard, there are a few little mistakes and I couldn't get it to align quite right. Bit it's pretty much done, and I am done messing with it :P
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 05:21:13 AM by petitelasouris »

Offline Fräulein_Kim

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Glows in the Dark
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 09:21:52 AM »
Slug-Pattern! Brilliant! :D

Yeah, I'm from germany so I know it can be quite a wait. About 2-3 weeks after they shipped mostly. ;0;

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal