collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Anyone here breed and exhibit fancy mice? PIC HEAVY  (Read 2068 times)

Ariadna

• Trade Count: (0)
Anyone here breed and exhibit fancy mice? PIC HEAVY
« on: June 02, 2014, 09:18:31 AM »
I'm in Australia, you know, the country that has super strict quarantine laws (for good reason) so we don't get some of the awesome international varieties such as satin, extreme black, cordovan brown, etc. Here the mouse fancy is about 40-50 years behind Europe, so what we consider really lovely show mice the NMC (National Mouse Club) in the UK would call 'small pet mice' :/ One thing we do have though is manx that is a simple recessive and relatively easy to breed, yay nubby butts!

Never the less, I love mice, they're great pets and I enjoy exhibiting them. I do strive to selectively breed my lot towards the standards of the NMC, and although over the years I have seen some progress, it is one of things that will take time *sigh*

I also judge mice in Australia, so some shows I just exhibit my rat monsters instead <3

Anyone here show mice and if so, have you ever taken any major awards? Got pictures of some of your squeakers?

Here are some of my pics spanning over the years:

MSR Monteith - black self longhair

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

JAS Atomic Cocktail - argente self standard

MSR Dancing Phalanges - bone fox standard

One of our pet dudes, Caramel Cookie Crunch (fawn sable standard) dressed as a pudding for a costume contest :P

Chimichurri - agouti tan standard

ICED Souffle' - Siamese standard and Gr Ch ROC Moon Pie - Siamese longhair

Ch ICED Black Bean - black self longhair

A litter of agouti based c-dilutes :lovey:

Offline pyrodarknessanny

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • banannas
    • View Profile
    • Pyrodarknessanny's ko-fi
Re: Anyone here breed and exhibit fancy mice? PIC HEAVY
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 09:39:06 AM »
adorable!

I'm working with a line of Siamese
i have blue points and seal points but  its hard to get them as dark as i'd like
i need to get some unrelated blacks to  out cross to  but its hard finding quality stock.

it's getting there but i really do want the points much darker
and sorry not the best photos
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 09:50:42 AM by pyrodarknessanny »

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 09:52:04 AM »
Awww!

Im not the type that would own them but they are adorable in those pctures :)

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Ariadna

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 10:01:33 AM »
adorable!

i have blue points and seal points but  its hard to get them as dark as i'd like
i need to get some unrelated blacks to  out cross to  but its hard finding quality stock.

Hooray, an Aussie mouse fancier! :D

your Siamese are lovely, though if you want to exhibit them colour only scores about 30 out of the 100 designated score points, the primary aspects scored on are size, health/condition, temperament and conformation. Though aiming for good colour is an awesome goal.

What state are you in? I'm in NSW :)

Why do the blacks need to be unrelated? Also, I found with my Siamese that just by line breeding them and selecting for darker points I was able to darken them up over time, however I don't really work with them any more (I still have one dude floating around and from time to time they turn up in my c-dilute litters). Sadly we don't have extreme black in Australia, which I have read that some international breeders use to breed Siamese mice whose points really pack a punch in regards to depth of colour. Would be great to have it here, maybe one day far in the future.

I had a line of black I lost recently, they may have had been ideal for your Siamese :( I have to say, I do really love a self black mouse, they're just so glossy <3

If you are not already a member of any rodent clubs, I recommend joining one (though in some states there are no rodent clubs) as the folks there are super helpful and can give great info :) Many show breeders also aim for quality critters so you may be able to find some black mice there :D

Offline ponybabe

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 10:15:23 AM »
Don't breed or exhibit, don't even have any mice even though I wanted some as a kid :P Just wanted to say: wow your mice are very cute, especially these ones:

JAS Atomic Cocktail - argente self standard

MSR Dancing Phalanges - bone fox standard

A litter of agouti based c-dilutes :lovey:

Many thanks to Nence for my adorable sig with my cat Chani in it and Btd for my lovely avatar!

Offline pyrodarknessanny

• Mommy & Baby Pony
  • banannas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 10:26:58 AM »
adorable!

your Siamese are lovely, though if you want to exhibit them colour only scores about 30 out of the 100 designated score points, the primary aspects scored on are size, health/condition, temperament and conformation. Though aiming for good colour is an awesome goal.

Why do the blacks need to be unrelated? Also, I found with my Siamese that just by line breeding them and selecting for darker points I was able to darken them up over time, however I don't really work with them any more (I still have one dude floating around and from time to time they turn up in my c-dilute litters). Sadly we don't have extreme black in Australia, which I have read that some international breeders use to breed Siamese mice whose points really pack a punch in regards to depth of colour. Would be great to have it here, maybe one day far in the future.

I had a line of black I lost recently, they may have had been ideal for your Siamese :( I have to say, I do really love a self black mouse, they're just so glossy <3

If you are not already a member of any rodent clubs, I recommend joining one (though in some states there are no rodent clubs) as the folks there are super helpful and can give great info :) Many show breeders also aim for quality critters so you may be able to find some black mice there :D

I'm in QLD, 
the black's don't have to be unrelated , this line dose thro  black ,  blue ,  and  marked?  pieds?

i'd like to get in some new blood tho as this line is   quite old now ,   
started from  1 trio  and I've bred  literally  hundreds of mice from them since.
so they are   closely related.   

there are all coming out  healthy and still producing big litters so  i'm not seeing any problems in the line there.

I honestly wouldn't know how mine would score in a show setting tho
as well as colour i'm breeding for temperament  and size .

there are no "biters"  in my stock   at all. 

and thanks for the tips
yeah extreme blacks would have been perfect  to get the colour i'm aiming for here.

im still trying to breed out some of the pattern / colour faults  like white feet and white on the ends of the tails
most of them are coming out  very uniform now tho.

Ariadna

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 10:53:32 AM »
adorable!

I'm in QLD, 
the black's don't have to be unrelated , this line dose thro  black ,  blue ,  and  marked?  pieds?

i'd like to get in some new blood tho as this line is   quite old now ,   
started from  1 trio  and I've bred  literally  hundreds of mice from them since.
so they are   closely related.   

there are all coming out  healthy and still producing big litters so  i'm not seeing any problems in the line there.

I honestly wouldn't know how mine would score in a show setting tho
as well as colour i'm breeding for temperament  and size .

there are no "biters"  in my stock   at all. 

and thanks for the tips
yeah extreme blacks would have been perfect  to get the colour i'm aiming for here.

im still trying to breed out some of the pattern / colour faults  like white feet and white on the ends of the tails
most of them are coming out  very uniform now tho.

Sounds like you've got a nice line of them going :) The white marked mice would likely be piebalds, it's a recessive trait and can be a pain to breed out. I'm not overly fond of piebalds, though I have seen some lovely ones.

It sucks we can't get extreme black, and many other varieties, in Australia. We have a huge range of varieties, but the most awesome ones are overseas! :( I would love to breed satin mice, but sadly not going to happen :/

It's great to hear you've had progress with getting darker toes and tails, my blacks were a pain in that I would always have a few bubs with white toes. Also best to breed away from Siamese that 'marble' they sort of get all mottled looking and crud, they tend to stay that way once they start to do it. Such a pain to get out.

I was just in QLD a few weeks ago at the rodent show up there, it has a great base of mouse breeders. Many I trade with because they have such lovely mice and operate excellent rodentries <3 I love visiting the northeners! :D

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 05:10:05 PM »
I've never shown but I've owned mice off and on since I was a kid. They are lovely pets. Yours are beautiful!

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline pyrodarknessanny

• Mommy & Baby Pony
  • banannas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2014, 06:11:45 PM »
got some Doves too i guess?

Gloomygirl777

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2014, 06:15:43 PM »
I had one a few years ago...I really liked him but after a while he got a terrible case of mites....and no matter what I did they would continually come back. I even took him to the vet several times which was very expensive. Have you ever had this problem before?? This experience has kept me from ever getting another one. :(

Offline whippetluv

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2014, 07:08:19 PM »
Hello!
YES. I breed, show, and judge mice in the US. I am currently president and founder of the Fancy Mouse Breeders Association. https://www.facebook.com/groups/mousebreeders/
I have been breeding mice for several years now. I was able to import mice from the UK and across the country. I am actually very proud of my beauties. :) Someone on FB alerted me to this thread...I don't post much here anymore, but I am on FB frequently.
Here are some of my squeakers. I run Mason Dixon Rodentry btw. Go by Candycorn on most of the rodent boards.

And for those curious and wondering about the difference between a "show" mouse vs one you can pick up in a pet store...here are two of mine. One is a show mouse the other is a pet store type. Incredible difference no?

Offline 4Lindy

• Trade Count: (+137)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2014, 08:08:48 PM »
I can't say I'd ever be a mouse person, but some of these pics are adorable!

Huge Thanks to Alrak, SourdoughStomper and Mari for my Super Sweetie Siggy\'s!

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2014, 08:20:29 PM »
Awww, I've never had mice just my rat boys.

Those are adorable though! What color is the black with the brown/reddish stomach called? It looks like Halloween. :lol:
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Offline HavACrumpet452

• Fakies R People 2
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2014, 11:02:56 PM »
I really miss having mice. No show mice here, but I've had plenty of nice pet mice and two retired lab mice. There is a hardware store about a half hour from me that has a pet section stocked from local people. They have a lot of nice fish you can't find at chain stores and also some small mammals and birds. I always thought their mice looked a bit like show type mice. Don't have many good pics though as I had them before I bought my good camera, all I had was a cheap $20 camera. I'd love to have some real show mice.

Cumberbatch2012

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2014, 11:17:06 PM »
Very adorable!  I had mice for a while when I was a teenager (and gerbils), but I ended up steering myself to rats.  I don't have any right now, but as soon as I move somewhere that allows pets, I will again. 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal