collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: At What Point Do You Rehair?  (Read 521 times)

Offline WingsOfMasquerade

• Trade Count: (+230)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
At What Point Do You Rehair?
« on: March 18, 2013, 08:09:52 PM »
At what point of a pony's hair destruction do you just say "Well thats "it"! I'm going to rehair" ?

Like, how bad should the hair be?
If only part of the hair is missing, do you just replace that bit? (mane only)
What about rare-er ponies? Does their hair have to be messed up more to justify making them "unoriginal"?
Do hair trims of 1/2 inch or a bit more really annoy you?
Do you try every hair fixing/conditioning/spa method before you rehair, or just forgo that time & jump in after it?
I'm sure everyone's different, but it's interesting to hear of.

The pony in question: Flower Fantasy
Problem: Hair is ALL white, chunk missing out of the center of her mane, (1/4 inch worth is buzzed, rest is natural length) hair is dry, krinkled hairs/few broken, slight roughness
Solutions: Rehair just the 1/4 inch in white, then repink the whole thing (repinking never quite matches DH pink)
Rehair the whole pony in minty pink perfect, but unoriginal hair
Style her so you can't see it & keep everything original

I'm just curious about what other people do when they get a pony with a hair cut problem. I've had her for a while now, just thinking on what to do. I'm actually just totally itching to cut it all of and replace it with new pink....but then she's uncommon...

I'm certainly not afraid to rehair, and will usually just go in and do it. But then, if I'm getting one who needs new hair, usually it's not some minor issue either.

Offline himmie

• Trade Count: (+137)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Need More Boy Ponies
    • View Profile
    • Himmie's Collection
Re: At What Point Do You Rehair?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 08:12:56 PM »
Wait, is it Flowerbelle in question? Otherwise I'm not sure who you're talking about...
WTB: MOC and Nirvana Boy Ponies
My Collection | Want List | eBay Store

Offline ButtercreamDream

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+99)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 08:35:35 PM »
If it was one for my collection, I think I'd rehair her completely.  I imagine the new hair would be shiny and stand out compared to the old.  I'm one who likes to re-pink, though.  I like them to look like they did when they were new.

I usually won't rehair unless it's cut.  I've managed some amazing feats with conditioner/fabric softener and a flat iron.  That said, if it's cut off, I'd go for it.

Offline Spectrum

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • no bass in the jazz room
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 08:48:40 PM »
Well, as for nirvanas, I usually only rehair if they have basically no hair / a buzz cut. A hair cut won't bother me. I have a Spain Masquerade coming in the mail who has a hair cut, that I wouldn't dream of rehairing, well, because other than the cut, the hair itself is perfect. Even for U.S ponies, I don't rehair unless the hair itself is just too far gone. That being said, I much rather have a rehaired pony than a pony with unfixable, matted frizzy hair.

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 08:55:32 PM »
I would do a total rehair with pink hair :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
My Wish List

Offline himmie

• Trade Count: (+137)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Need More Boy Ponies
    • View Profile
    • Himmie's Collection
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 08:58:06 PM »
I would say a complete re-hair, as well. If her original hair were nice (even if faded) I wouldn't mess with it. But, missing plugs and such, might as well go for it. :)
WTB: MOC and Nirvana Boy Ponies
My Collection | Want List | eBay Store

Miserati

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 09:16:47 PM »
I haven't run into the issue on a rarer pony but I absolutely can't stand haircuts and will rehair ponies as I see fit. I've been able to fix most of the ponies that have come to me with just matted, frizzy hair and I'll go the extra mile to try to salvage it but if it's a hair cut it's getting new hair period.

Offline foalpatrol

• Hello, Clarice
  • Trade Count: (+42)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 10:13:30 PM »
I rehair willy-nilly and don't give a rats if the pony is rare.  *ducks flying fakies*  I can't stand haircuts, even a centimetre.  I'd rather a pony had beautiful "fake" locks than an "original" haircut.

If a pony has a couple of missing plugs, I will do a partial rehair unless the new hair is glaringly obvious, e.g. the old hair has faded, in which case out it all comes!

On your pony, I would do a total rehair.

Offline PinkRosedust

• Trade Count: (+117)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • How bout i do anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 11:05:50 PM »
I hate to see a pony get rehaired when it still has salvagable hair, or still looks nice as it is. I actually like adopting G1s with (nice) haircuts because I think it gives them character. =) I just don't get why you'd rehair a pony who only has a small trim, or who has fixable frizz. Why not just sell/trade the pony on and find yourself one who already has mint hair? Why go to all the trouble to put in new hair? Seems like people are getting really rehair crazy these days.

And yeah, the rarer the pony, the more lenient I think people should be with flaws in general.

That said, the pony you're describing is one I'd actually think would be better off with a full rehair. I imagine it would be hard to get the new hair to match the old hair if you only rehaired part of it. When a pony is actually missing plugs and the hair that is there is either a buzz cut or really damaged, go for a rehair.
MLP sales Here Jewelry on Etsy Vintage toys on Etsy Toys and things on ebay

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2013, 02:26:25 PM »
I don't cope well with hair cuts to be honest - if I had a pony with a bad hair trim she would simply be put up for sale/trade. :P However, in minor cases such as the odd plug or 2 missing, then I ll normally re hair with original hair or at a push new hair. However, there is the odd case, but only with HTF ponies, that I would put up with a part rehair but only if its from original hair and only if its for a smallish section.

If you want to repink her, I would rehair in white and then repink to be honest as that would keep it even-ish in colour. :)
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2013, 05:09:41 PM »
Given a choice, I would prefer all the original hair in the first place.  But I actually like some haircuts as long as it's even and not showing plug holes.  I grew up near ponies and they always had short manes and tails. It's really cute.

Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline babystarz

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2013, 10:18:18 AM »
Usually I prefer to rehair ponies with significant haircuts, or some other serious damage (mane rust happens!). This poor Sundance had tail rust and a buzz cut and she was dreadfully dingy. After months of sunfading and several deep cleanings, I gave her a special rehair, in her original color but much longer and thicker than normal:

She's my "official" collection Sundance and she hangs out wearing cute matching outfits with Megan.

Offline Jinxxy

• Trade Count: (+96)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Fancy Rats, Fursuiting and Neon green ponies!
    • View Profile
    • http://mlparena.com!!!
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2013, 10:33:37 AM »
Haircuts don't bother me as much as dryness, dryness (next to mold) is my very least "acceptable" flaw. I would rather have a pony with silky long hiar than a matted looking original.. That's just my two bits.
 Also seeking QBs Hat, 2017 easter egg RD

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2013, 10:36:11 AM »
For this pony since it partially cut and what is left is not only faded but also tatty with broken ends, if you can replicate the original style well (volume and cut) I'd re-hair her. If you can't, send her to a pro to do the work- she'd look so much happier with new fading pink hair. if her hair was simply faded but nice, or would look nice with a straighten I would have suggested the re-pinking route. If you planned to sell her I'd have saved the trouble and left her as-is. :)

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2013, 02:28:12 PM »
I'll re-hair commons to a different color hair cut or not... (Yep, dodging fakies.) Now a not so common pony with hair that's more than a half inch shorter than natural length gets a new 'do. I'll fill in missing plugs if needed from a donor tail. Frizz I usually end up trying to curl, I've got no skill when it comes to straightening hair...

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal