collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Back to the "Hasbro lost the rights" topic on G1  (Read 5405 times)

Bag of Magic Food

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Back to the "Hasbro lost the rights" topic on G1
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2012, 04:29:49 PM »
One word names especially those which have "meaning" in language are tougher to trade mark - "Surprise", "Firefly" - not impossible just harder. Hence the sudden "Twilight Sparkle", "Fluttershy" - essentially words or word combinations that dont mean, dont represent anything else. I am not saying this is the case for every character just the reasoning behind a lot of them [Lyra Heartstrings? Trixie Lulamoon?]. The glaring contradiction of course being Rarity.
I wonder if this is why she was often referred to as "Rarity the Unicorn"--could using the whole phrase have made for a stronger trademark?  (In addition to "Hey everyone, G3 has unicorns now!")

I also wonder if this would make it easier to bring back any G1 names that were more than a single word or common phrase.

Actually Twilight Sparkle started out being called "Twilight Twinkle" which was a G3 name. On the Hasbro tour at the 2011 Fair, they had some early design sheets out for the mane G4 characters. Twilight Sparkle was named differently & her color scheme was darker, resembling Luna's color scheme. There was no explanation for the name & design change, and I doubt that many collectors would know that unless they were on those tours & happened to flip through that stack of drawings. ;)
Ah, really?  I only knew that she resembled the first Twilight from G1 at one point, so I simply figured, "Twilight + Princess Sparkle = Twilight Sparkle"!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal