collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Cancer/mold/regrind discussion  (Read 4413 times)

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
Re: Cancer/mold/regrind discussion
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2012, 02:54:46 PM »
I love this thread BFB! [and is it weird that I love that lipstick picture of Baby Tangles every time I see it :P]

Its great to see other peoples thoughts and opinions on all these issues.

Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Rachel-Eyes

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2012, 11:53:49 AM »
Hmm, I'm not sure if this is news or not, but I thought I would share anyway.

I've recently acquired a Tara fakie that was covered in nail polish. Normally, I would just use nail polish remover since that's what it was invented for, but the pony's hooves were covered in the stuff, and one of my favorite things about Taras is that they have pearlized hooves. I didn't want any of that to come off so I was too scared to use acetone.

So what did I do? I used dish soap and gently scraped it off with my fingernails.

I just thought maybe this would be relevant for those trying to clean nail polish off of a pearlized pony or symbols and eyes.

Dish soap, warm water, and light scrubbing will remove nail polish from a plastic surface with, in my experience, the underlying paint staying intact.

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2012, 10:20:55 AM »
If these were answered in the thread I apologize. I skimmed because I'm hurrying back off towards teacher conference thing.

I have some ponies with mold or cancer. how do I really tell the difference?
If they do have cancer is there a way they can be cleaned where they can be with the other ponies? Or is it contagious ect?

Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Offline Rachel-Eyes

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2012, 10:52:55 AM »
It can be difficult to tell the difference, unfortunately. From my understanding, cancer is usually a brown or dark yellow-y color and mold can range in colors. Mold also usually has a "head," or a dark spot in the center with fading around it. As of right now, there is no cure for cancer. We don't know what causes it and we don't know how to fix it yet. D:

It is not contagious though. I have non-cancer ponies displayed along with cancer ponies and I haven't noticed any problems at all with them. Cleaning them together should be fine. :)

Offline PhyllieBean

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • an apparent glutton for dramaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2012, 11:02:10 AM »
I'm intrigured by the Removezit picture!  Personally, I've never used it, and I was out of the pony loop for a while there, so maybe I missed something.  Was it discovered that Removezit has some horrible effect now?  Like, all of the ponies that were treated with it a few years ago are having after effects?  I thought that stuff was supposed to be some kind of miracle cure!  Or is the pony pictured just an odd case? 
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Persona designed by Winged Fantasy with updated symbol by Pop-Girl (check my fancy av!)  Thanks ladies!

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2012, 11:09:38 AM »
I'm intrigured by the Removezit picture!  Personally, I've never used it, and I was out of the pony loop for a while there, so maybe I missed something.  Was it discovered that Removezit has some horrible effect now?  Like, all of the ponies that were treated with it a few years ago are having after effects?  I thought that stuff was supposed to be some kind of miracle cure!  Or is the pony pictured just an odd case? 

I think, like sunfading, it depends on the color of the pony. But I'm not sure...
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2012, 02:43:49 PM »

I dont believe its an "after years" reaction...I think its just that most recently, most experience seems to have been poor with any kind of acne cream with it discolouring lighter colours yellow and almost removing the dye in other ponies [I believe the pigment removal is worst with any pony which has a red pigment in her plastic]
Loa is my love god!

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2012, 03:55:59 PM »
It can be difficult to tell the difference, unfortunately. From my understanding, cancer is usually a brown or dark yellow-y color and mold can range in colors. Mold also usually has a "head," or a dark spot in the center with fading around it. As of right now, there is no cure for cancer. We don't know what causes it and we don't know how to fix it yet. D:

It is not contagious though. I have non-cancer ponies displayed along with cancer ponies and I haven't noticed any problems at all with them. Cleaning them together should be fine. :)
Thanks dear. I was a little worried, and I couldn't look at them fully since they are Christmas presents for my other half.  I bought her some of the Big Brothers that are just fantastic looking and softer hair than any of my ponies. I'll have to attempt to cleaning those boys up then later. I was just afraid if they were allowed to mingle or not. :lol:  I usually clean with bleach, so I'm going to assume that will kill it if they have mold instead?

Formerly Maddie

Offline teresat

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Pony Cow
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2012, 04:01:44 PM »

Thanks dear. I was a little worried, and I couldn't look at them fully since they are Christmas presents for my other half.  I bought her some of the Big Brothers that are just fantastic looking and softer hair than any of my ponies. I'll have to attempt to cleaning those boys up then later. I was just afraid if they were allowed to mingle or not. :lol:  I usually clean with bleach, so I'm going to assume that will kill it if they have mold instead?

Bleach cleaner is what we use to kill mold and remove the stains in the bath tub.

Does the bleach discolor colored ponies? I have just used the bleach on white ponies.
:biggrin: >_<^.^

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2012, 04:35:06 PM »
I have seen people use bleach on coloured ponies...I am paranoid and havent myself but I have seen plenty of threads with people using it without any problems.
Loa is my love god!

Offline Rachel-Eyes

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2012, 05:59:12 PM »
I have seen people use bleach on coloured ponies...I am paranoid and havent myself but I have seen plenty of threads with people using it without any problems.

This. I'm a little paranoid about symbols, but I've seen other people who have bleached ponies and they have turned out fine. Plus, bleach is so highly poisonous and I can't help but worry about it for safety reasons. I have only used it once on my Wavedancer that I mentioned, but I didn't DUNK her in it, I took a cotton swab and rubbed. I also doubt that it would do any good for glitter symbols, Twinkle Eyes, or the metallic princess symbols.

Personally, what I recommend for mold is Dawn brand dish soap. It actually contains chemicals that are designed to break down spores and it helps prevent it from ever coming back. I have also used Mr. Clean for experimental purposes, but I still stand by Dawn. It's been a very helpful cleaning tool for me so far.

I cannot emphasize this enough though. Should you choose either chemical, DO NOT MIX BLEACH AND DAWN. DAWN (AND POSSIBLY OTHER DISH SOAPS) CONTAIN AMMONIA AND WILL RELEASE A POISONOUS GAS THAT CAN KILL YOU IF YOU MIX IT WITH BLEACH.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 06:33:22 PM by Rachel-Eyes »

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2012, 06:54:43 PM »
Well I'm not as big an expert as the rest of you obviously, but I've done it to maybe 30 ponies so far without it hurting anyone? Keep in mind most of the ponies I'm buying are not mint, and it doesn't hurt me in the least to dunk them in bleach. I even did it to a Starry Wings test subject (don't panic she's in bad shape working on her) and it actually made her ruined wings come out brighter than before. I still have to replace them, but I was surprised. She was nasty though, so full of mold and grossness you could literally see the black from her insides through to the outside.

I will say I'm not using just bleach and throwing it on a pony. I have a very small amount of bleach mixed in with hot water. I'm not leaving them in there for a massive amount of time either. I noticed some have made the comment about it destroying their hair, but I had one that it actually softened it out a great deal. I'm sure a lot of it depends on the pony and the condition ect ect as always. I just haven't had a super bad result just yet.

That being said most of my ponies always have done good with a magic eraser. Then I had one that I accidentally about destroyed her color with it somehow. Suppose it's just a risk, but considering mine are so dirty I want something that will destroy! :lol:

Formerly Maddie

angela22

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2012, 07:02:06 PM »
YES, guys, I second Rachel-Eyes on never ever mixing bleach containing products with ammonia containing products!!! Thanks Rachel-Eyes!  :)

Now, as far as the safety of bleach, and finding possible alternatives, it can be trusted that anything within the sodium percarbonate (or even sodium perborate) family will have the same results as bleach to my knowledge. This includes Oxi-Clean, etc. These are all based on the action of hydrogen peroxide. Which is why I usually scrub ponies with toothpaste, because it contains a large amount of this to whiten your teeth. Same reason why soaking in peroxide/H2O works. All the same mechanism of action. Oxidation. It's just that bleach uses chlorine to do it, the other chemical families use peroxide - but it's all oxidation.

Now, to the safety concern (where was I going with all this?...) Ah yea, so, anyway, both vinegar and borax will do much the same thing as the peroxides (or bleaches) - at least as far as sterilizing ponies with issues) without all the nasty side effects to your health. This does not mean that there are NO side effects possible, but much more rarely and only with much more contact and over longer periods of time than with the peroxides, etc.

I hope this helps in any way.  :huh:
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 07:08:05 PM by angela22 »

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • Trade Count: (+103)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2012, 08:21:28 PM »
Vinegar is my clean all cure!  So is it safe for ponies and their hair
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline teresat

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Pony Cow
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2012, 09:35:57 PM »
The bleach I actually use is Tilex with other cleaner already in it. No mixing! Thanks for pointing that out Rachel-Eyes!
:biggrin: >_<^.^

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal