collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Who are the "Oldie Moldies"?  (Read 27044 times)

Offline Shaiyeh

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
Re: Who are the "Oldie Moldies"?
« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2012, 05:07:12 AM »
lol, iSparkle, good for you - could have gotten you banned, I think :P
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks izard for my super cute ava and Starscout for my wonderful siggie!

Offline Eternity

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2012, 08:29:57 AM »
Been around since 1998 on ponypeople mailing list, alt.toys.my-little-pony, a couple of Yahoo forums, the old Trading Post, and now the Arena. I've gone from a college student, to a married working engineer, and now I'm the mother of two (the younger being only a year old) and my time online has decreased each step of the way. I still love ponies and collect them, but I just don't have the time to dedicate to pony communities any more. I also don't have any local pony friends in Pittsburgh, so it's just me and my kids getting into the hobby, so it's not quite the same. I spend most of my time here on the Nirvana form trying to pick up the last few Moondancers I need (Greek, South African, Argentina) and country ponies (South Africa, Colombia, and Venezuela). But I have fond memories of all of the collectors I've met - in real life or virtually - over the last fourteen or so years of collecting. :)

Eternity (sometimes known as Kasra)

Offline bladed

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Gotta hit some wasabi mayo to settle the nerves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2012, 09:58:09 AM »
lol, iSparkle, good for you - could have gotten you banned, I think :P
Yeah.. I thought that too XD.
Good thing I did wait!

Offline Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 16, 2012, 01:23:58 PM »
 :blush:  I guess I'm a real oldie too.  Dunno about mold, but dust - there's plenty here to go around!  I started collecting when ponies hit stores here in late Dec. of '82. 
1995 in university I made my first website called the Berry Patch, and the day that ebay became available was an exciting day (and the paypal free $5.00 sign up program too).  I still recognize many of the older Ids from Ponypalooza and the old boards, but being terribly shy and being in and out of medical tests from time to time means I don't get to post much, but I'm always around. :heart:   

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 16, 2012, 01:43:57 PM »
OMG, the Yahoo alt.toys.my-little-pony group!! I remember that now! Wow, I joined on there ages and ages before I joined the Arena ... but I tried to make some funny post like, "Wow, what's up with this Shrine to Mimic page, huh? Some people sure are loopy!" And EVERYONE GOT BUTTHURT. It's actually the reason I was so hesitant to sign up on the Arena, and lurked for a couple years before I joined - I figured all pony collectors must be nutballs like they were! ;) Very glad to see that isn't the case!
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 16, 2012, 01:53:05 PM »
OMG, the Yahoo alt.toys.my-little-pony group!! I remember that now! Wow, I joined on there ages and ages before I joined the Arena ... but I tried to make some funny post like, "Wow, what's up with this Shrine to Mimic page, huh? Some people sure are loopy!" And EVERYONE GOT BUTTHURT.
Oh welllllll, that Church of MOC Mimic was a joke that came out of Ponypalooza.  And the long and short of it was that Icefeather (who made the Mimic thing as a joke) and Taffeta didn't get on well - back then there were a lot of pecking order things going on from so many different folks in that group.  You just probably got caught between it all, and back then, stepping on the wrong toes meant fur and feathers everywhere.  Was always better to keep the head down. ;)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 01:55:48 PM by Sugarberry »

Offline okiegurl1981

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://okiegurl1981.deviantart.com/
« Reply #66 on: February 16, 2012, 02:11:47 PM »
I figured all pony collectors must be nutballs like they were! ;) Very glad to see that isn't the case!

Nope, no nutballs here!  *noms a poneh* ;)
Facebook | Deviantart | Etsy

Offline Ginger

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • TE Bright Eyes Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #67 on: February 16, 2012, 02:21:24 PM »
Not me. XD I would have been way too young to join the MLP groups back then anyway. I was 9 years old in 1999. Had my own computer though, built websites, bought beanie babies online (with parent's permission, of course!) but I wasn't big on ponies at the time.

That's what happens with nerdy parents who met on the internet in 1995. XD

Wanted | Flickr | Tumblr | PonyDex

Offline Eternity

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 16, 2012, 02:33:37 PM »
Sugarberry, I still have fond memories of meeting up with you back when my husband and I lived in Santa Clara, California. :)

Eternity

Offline TraderTif

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+85)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 16, 2012, 03:59:27 PM »
I've been a long-time lurker, mostly, I suppose.  Since the mid-90's.  I remember most of what y'all are mentioning. 

I still remember how excited I was, in 1999, to turn 18 and finally be able to register/bid on eBay!   :biggrin:

I've recently sold off most of my collection, in preparation for a cross-country move/marriage......but I still have quite a few ponies..........(and my fiancĂ© reluctantly agreed to ponies on the wedding cake, so he knows what he's getting into)   :P

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 16, 2012, 05:01:54 PM »
Well, I've been a fan of mlp since... well, I've attached a picture of me with my first pony.  I'm on the right.

I've been known as Sunset or Sunsetgrove.  I had a small website for a while called Sunset Grove but it has gone to the wayside.  I've never been particularly active in the online community though a few people may remember some of my art work.

I've been on a sort of break from collecting.  "Sort of" because while I wasn't very active on-line and at least half of my collection had been packed up, I would still pick up G3 ponies at my local stores.  That is until Hasbro began re-releasing the same ponies over and over again and then came the G3.5 and I completely lost interest.  Then I bought a fixer-uper house in the fall of 2010 and that completely consumed my time.  That is until this summer when I saw the G4 in the stores for the first time and it resparked my interest.  So here I am back again.

Like some have said, MLP will always have a special place in my heart whether I'm actively collecting or not.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 05:07:06 PM by Sunset »

Offline Snapdragon

• G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 16, 2012, 05:05:48 PM »
OMG, the Yahoo alt.toys.my-little-pony group!! I remember that now! Wow, I joined on there ages and ages before I joined the Arena ... but I tried to make some funny post like, "Wow, what's up with this Shrine to Mimic page, huh? Some people sure are loopy!" And EVERYONE GOT BUTTHURT.
Oh welllllll, that Church of MOC Mimic was a joke that came out of Ponypalooza.  And the long and short of it was that Icefeather (who made the Mimic thing as a joke) and Taffeta didn't get on well - back then there were a lot of pecking order things going on from so many different folks in that group.  You just probably got caught between it all, and back then, stepping on the wrong toes meant fur and feathers everywhere.  Was always better to keep the head down. ;)

Ahhh! Okay, that makes sense. At the time, it was like, "Wow, here is this funny thing I found, let's all have a laugh!" And the response was "OH. MY. GOD. YOU DO NOT MOCK THE SACROSANCT HOLINESS OF THE MOC MIMIC PAGE. WE TAKE THIS PAGE VERY. SERIOUSLY." And I was just like "... okaaaaay time to give up on making any pony friends, THEY HAVE ALL GONE NUTS FROM THE PLASTIC FUMES!" I'm glad the crazy isn't quite so intense, nowadays. :lmao:
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline Bunny-san

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ponydex.com
« Reply #72 on: February 16, 2012, 05:13:33 PM »
I'm probably not one of the people you're looking for either, I collected as a kid (pre internet XD ) And then skipped the 90s gen, and came back in 08 for G3s :3 Now I have...way too many ponies :3 In addition to my big fat childhood collection (which I've since added to ^^; )

Thank you artists for my siggys!

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 16, 2012, 05:33:46 PM »
Old enough to feel nostalgic about Dream Valley when it was still using illustrations instead of photos for its pony guide: http://web.archive.org/web/20010606093926/http://dreamvalley.freeyellow.com/ponies_list.html

LOL!  Yes, I was just getting into actual collecting as a teenager at some point in the 90's when I found this site.  I didn't have regular access to the Internet.  In fact, the only way I could get online was for my mom to allow me to use her work computer during her lunch hour when I wasn't in school.  Dream Valley was the biggest MLP resource I could find at the time and so in order to have access whenever I wanted, I talked my mom into letting me print it off.  Yes, the whole thing!  I printed it all out and put it into a three ring binder.  And I had to print in black and white so I went back in and colored in the images! 

In fact, I still have it.  I just dug it out.  Here are some pics.

I would make notes in it about particular ponies and mark off the ones I owned.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 05:35:26 PM by Sunset »

Offline Snapdragon

• G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 16, 2012, 05:36:40 PM »
Old enough to feel nostalgic about Dream Valley when it was still using illustrations instead of photos for its pony guide: http://web.archive.org/web/20010606093926/http://dreamvalley.freeyellow.com/ponies_list.html

LOL!  Yes, I was just getting into actual collecting as a teenager at some point in the 90's when I found this site.  I didn't have regular access to the Internet.  In fact, the only way I could get online was for my mom to allow me to use her work computer during her lunch hour when I wasn't in school.  Dream Valley was the biggest MLP resource I could find at the time and so in order to have access whenever I wanted, I talked my mom into letting me print it off.  Yes, the whole thing!  I printed it all out and put it into a three ring binder.  And I had to print in black and white so I went back in and colored in the images! 

In fact, I still have it.  I just dug it out.  Here are some pics.

I would make notes in it about particular ponies and mark off the ones I owned.

OMG. ARE YOU ME? I was just getting back into ponies in the 90s too, and I even printed off the whole Dream Valley website too!!! Went through reams and reams of paper, LOL! I still have it, tucked away in my room somewhere... I would study it like it was a text book, learning all of the pony names, finding out about all of these new ponies I'd never seen in stores (Summerwings, sea ponies, Secret Surprise ponies)... man, it takes me back!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal