collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Disney introduces Princess Elena!  (Read 5078 times)

Offline dragonfly

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
Disney introduces Princess Elena!
« on: July 12, 2016, 10:39:38 AM »
http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/disney-introduces-latina-princess-elena-avalor/story?id=40481827

(video in link)

Disney is introducing its first Latina princess with the new animated television series “Elena of Avalor.”

The series focuses on the adventures of the title character, who is described as being “a brave and adventurous teenager who has saved her kingdom from an evil sorceress and must now learn to rule as crown princess until she is old enough to be queen.”

"She's still underage so she's not yet ready to rule and so, she just has the challenge of taking care of her family and this huge kingdom and have this awesome responsibility," said actress Aimee Carrero, who is the voice of Elena.

The series will tell stories that draw on the traditions, foods and customs of Latin and Hispanic cultures. Magic, mythology and folklore will also play an important role, and each episode will include original songs in a number of Latin musical styles including Latin pop, salsa and banda.

Carrero's mother is of Dominican decent and her father is Puerto Rican. Carrero said it means "absolutely everything" for her to play the first Latina princess.

"Disney's been in my family for a very long time and just to see my own images represented, my own culture represented, is really special and I hope it will be for everybody watching," she said.

"What I love most about Elena is she's her own hero," Carrero added. "There's no 'Prince Charming,' so I hope people at home watching will just be inspired her sense of self, her confidence and her leadership."

The series premieres Friday, July 22 at 7 p.m. ET on Disney Channel. Carrero, 27, sings Elena's anthem, "My Time."

Carrero has appeared in Freeform’s hit series “Young & Hungry,” among other popular productions. The actress was live on “GMA” today to discuss her role in the new series.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

USA Today

Elena of Avalor is a new Disney Channel series that features its first Latina princess, "a confident and compassionate teenager in an enchanted fairy tale kingdom inspired by diverse Latin cultures and folklore."

Disney Junior first introduced the world to Elena in a special episode of the Sofia the First series last year.

Here's what we know about Elena's world so far, before the July 22 premiere.

The show heavily features "Latin folklore and cultural traditions."

Among the many ways Elena will represent the protagonist's culture, according to the New York Times: Aztec-inspired architecture; a soundtrack including mariachi, salsa and Chilean hip-hop; and Elena's ornamental apricot mallow, a flower native to Southern California and Mexico, that she sometimes wears in her hair.

Elena's cast members have spoken about how much Disney's representation of Latin and Hispanic traditions "Disney's been in my family for a very long time and just to see my own images represented, my own culture represented, is really special and I hope it will be for everybody watching," actress Aimee Carrero, the voice of Elena, told Good Morning America.

Disney worked to get its references right.

Disney's unveiling of Elena will almost certainly be accompanied by analysis of the show's cultural references. To avoid an embarrassing faux pas, the article reports that Disney "brought in a whole lot of consultants to advise on everything,” said Nancy Kanter, the Disney executive overseeing the show. “We wanted to make sure that she didn’t have a doll-like appearance, and we really wanted to steer clear of romance."

Elena of Avalor tackles weighty topics for a children's show.

Like many Disney franchises, its premise involves the death of the princess' parents. In the first episode, Elena grapples with becoming an orphan, trying to prove she's ready to be queen.

"What I love most about Elena is she's her own hero," Carrero said about her character. "There's no Prince Charming, so I hope people at home watching will just be inspired her sense of self, her confidence and her leadership."

Hopefully, since Elena is a TV series and not just a two-hour movie, it can delve deeper into what it's like to lose family members at a young age, in a way that's nuanced and educational for its young audience.

Just because Elena of Avalor is a TV show doesn't mean it's not cinematic.

Unlike most of her other princess counterparts, Elena isn't the star of her own Disney movie. However, her story still has big-screen ambitions, with the article reporting that Disney wanted the series to feel more like a movie than an average cartoon. “The goal is certainly to give it as cinematic a feel as possible,” said Tony Morales, who scored Elena.

And Elena will still have a massive reach, with Disney planning to broadcast five seasons of the show in 163 countries and 34 languages.

Elena will get the Disney princess marketing treatment.

Disney is already planning extensive promotional efforts around Elena, from merchandise to meet-and-greets at theme parks. Elena-branded products like stuffed animals and shoes first became available on July 1, with princess costumes following in time for Halloween

Offline TornadoTwist

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Author of MLP Merch
    • View Profile
Re: Disney introduces Princess Elena!
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 10:41:51 AM »
Almost got me confused with Elena from Street Fighter which is also a princess. :P http://streetfighter.wikia.com/wiki/Elena

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 12:09:57 PM »
Do you think they'll ever give her her own movie as well?  They did that with Aladdin, The Lion King and The Little Mermaid so I think they could easily make her a movie.  (Granted, those had movies first but that doesn't mean they can't do it backwards.)

Offline MilkyTaroMochi

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Ivy is best pony. <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 05:02:04 PM »
I saw the first episode a few days ago On Demand, and thought it was interesting. Not sure if I would go out fo my way to watch it, but I still liked it.
I do like Elena as a character, and hope that they do a prequel movie or something. The first few minutes of the episode felt rushed, even though it was backstory-related.
Thank you so much for the adoptable, Corona! :D

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2016, 05:26:35 PM »
The idea of having a Disney Princess who doesn't immediately garner a love interest is really refreshing!  (There have been a few but let's face it, they're scant.)  I dig her outfit and I think the concept sounds interesting.  I'll probably watch her show.

Kind of chuckling over her parents tumbling into the usual Disney Parents Graveyard, though.  RIP, Disney parents!

Also is that a winged tiger I see in the upper left?  Awww yeeeeah!
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2016, 07:01:54 PM »
I've been seeing the commercials/trailers all over Disney's many tv channels.  I'm excited for it to show up; it looks like fun.  :)
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2016, 04:38:28 AM »
Yeah I've seen the commercials constantly too. It looks cute.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline dragonfly

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2016, 08:21:48 AM »
The idea of having a Disney Princess who doesn't immediately garner a love interest is really refreshing!  (There have been a few but let's face it, they're scant.)  I dig her outfit and I think the concept sounds interesting.  I'll probably watch her show.

Kind of chuckling over her parents tumbling into the usual Disney Parents Graveyard, though.  RIP, Disney parents!

Also is that a winged tiger I see in the upper left?  Awww yeeeeah!

I agree! Sofia doesn't but she's a kid. Elena is what, mid to late teenager? So nice!

Offline Violet CLM

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Sunset Shimmer did nothing wrong
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2016, 09:24:37 PM »
This is a good next move after Disney's 2015 movie with its Latina protagonist :)

Offline Pinkie-kitty

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
  • G3 is my favorite<3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2016, 09:55:10 PM »
This is a good next move after Disney's 2015 movie with its Latina protagonist :)

Definitely agree! I love how they're branching into racial diversity. They also have Moana coming out later this year which is exciting.  :biggrin:

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2016, 10:20:18 AM »
Theres Merida, too ;)

Its nice seeing  something different, but if you didn't tell me she was Latino I would have said that she was Mediterranean >>

I guess that's a good thing though.  For kids to not know or care what region the princess is in but can somehow relate because perhaps they look a bit like her or have her ideals.

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline Lore-Lei

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2016, 10:53:43 AM »
A Princess that actually has to work hard and her princesshood being just the beginning of her adventure? Count me in.

Princess Lala

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2016, 01:23:13 PM »
Im like suuuuper excited for this to air tonight aaaaaah! I love the Sofia the First universe, been lookimg forward to this! Today we actually wrnt out and bought the $34 singing doll of her and her sister from Disney Store! So worth it and I love the wand!

So a quick question... is Elena considered Spanish (like from Spain) or Latino as in Latin-American? Everyone keeps calling her Latina but she seems as if she is of Spanish origin to me, which is  extra cool since I really admire Spain. Not that it matters, its a Disney show and this takes place in a fantasy kingdom setting, but just curious because I feel really bad if im incorrect about her national origin being Spanish. Elena is adorable and amazing nonetheless! She seems like an independant amd adventurous girl which I adore in a Disney character! I already really like her! Im glad there is no prince because I love Disney characters that have to earn their crown!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 01:30:30 PM by Princess Lala »

Offline dragonfly

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2016, 02:10:53 PM »
She's from an imaginary country that is kind of a mashup of different Latin culture influences but it seems to me she's going to be more inspired by central and south America because it looks like there are some Aztec / Incan / Mayan inspirations in her universe

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2016, 03:00:37 PM »
Princess Elena is the princess in the amulet of Avalor, I think? I really want to see how that plays out and what happens to Sofia's amulet afterwards.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal