collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: The Toys That Made Us  (Read 14736 times)

Offline FiddlePhan

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://myworld.ebay.com/specialefxgreetings
The Toys That Made Us
« on: November 15, 2019, 12:07:32 AM »
Hey guys.  The MLP episode on Netflix is now available.   

Offline SaraMari

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: The Toys That Made Us
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2019, 08:15:19 AM »
I just finished watching it, I'm sad there wasn't more time spent on some of the creators and designers but overall it was enjoyable
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart: :heart: https://www.instagram.com/moonglowdreams  :heart: :heart:

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2019, 08:24:12 AM »
Just finished watching it.   I enjoyed it.  It’s what I expected from this show.

For those who are concerned about what it contains.  It spends about 2/3rds of the episode on the original creation and progress through G1.  Goes pretty quickly through G2 and G3.  G2 fans may not like the portrayal of G2.

It does spend some time talking about the creation of FIM and a couple of minutes talking about bronies.  Then it movies on to Equestria Girls and circles back around to wrap the whole thing up.

I did see one or two bits of info that... weren’t inaccurate but didn’t tell the whole story.

But overall, I think it is a good episode.   When they get around to releasing this on DVD, I really hope that they will include more of the unedited interviews that they did as extras.

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2019, 09:01:54 AM »
The question of “Why metal washers!? Why!?”... answered at last. XD
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline poniesthatsparkle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • TAF Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2019, 10:38:05 AM »
I'm really excited to watch it later! My mom made me promise to not watch anything from the new season until she gets off work this evening since she wants us to watch it together. She's been very excited about this, probably more than I am!

Offline Pinkie21

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2019, 10:40:29 AM »
I was happy with it, and learned quite a bit about the history that I hadn’t known before.  I was also glad it didn’t focus *too* much on G4 and it’s fan base.  Granted I wish they didn’t show all that footage of bronies and wish they didn’t actually go and interview one, but it was short enough that it didn’t affect the episode itself.  I do wish the episodes were a bit longer, because it felt like they just breezed. by G2-3.5 in order to get to G4. 
Also man if they decided to go ahead and make that grey/black CP G1 proto for some special release or something I wouldn’t complain LOL

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2019, 10:57:36 AM »
G2 fans may not like the portrayal of G2.

Can you spoil it for me and tell me what exactly we might not like? I haven't watched it yet.
Is it something along the lines of "this crap failed in the US so whatever!" ?

Offline Valerie

• Dabbles Pony
  • ☼ I ❤ G3 ☼
    • View Profile
    • Valerie´s Pony Rainbow
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2019, 10:59:16 AM »
Time ago I sent them pictures of my collection, and then I forgot it.

Today I received a text saying that one of my pics appears in the final credits  :lol:

I haven´t Netflix so I couldn´t see the episode (hope to find it in another website soon), but I´m happy to see my picture. The person that sent me the screenshots said its is the only collection from Argentina they showed  ^.^

:sunny:   visitors can't see pics , please register or login
   :sunny:   

Valerie´s Pony Rainbow Tumblr - Instagram - Youtube
:heart:

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2019, 11:29:51 AM »

Can you spoil it for me and tell me what exactly we might not like? I haven't watched it yet.
I did not watch it but I think the G1 collector they featured said they looked like bugs? This is secondhand from hearing people on Discord complain.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline SaraMari

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2019, 11:44:26 AM »
yes they literally said they didn't look good and looked like "insects"
Spoiler
to me I got the vibe they were saying G2 ruined MLP (or threw it off track), and it wasnt until Lauren came in with FiM that it was saved. did anyone else get a feeling like that? They said G3 looked ok but said it didn't sell well or bring the glory back to the line.

when I say "they" I mean the voice of the documenters, what narrative they were writing

Valerie I'm glad your collection got featured! I enjoyed seeing the collections in the end credits!

I saw a friend of mine mention this on her ig, that they spent too much time repeating the same jokes and could've used that time to explain the development more (or talk about g2-g3.5) and I agree

TTTMU is very jokey and silly and I don't mind that, I know it helps draw in a bigger audience than just collectors, but I'd like more variation and details in the narrative
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 11:55:38 AM by SaraMari »

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2019, 11:45:45 AM »

to me I got the vibe they were saying G2 ruined MLP (or threw it off track), and it wasnt until Lauren came in with FiM and saved it
Ugh, I hate that implication. I'm so sick of the "G1 was great and then got infected with goo goo icky juice until Faust made it manly again" thing that gets spewed out by so many.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Noasar

• Armour Plated Pony
  • Trade Count: (+34)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Little Starglow Ponies
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2019, 01:20:58 PM »
I thought it was great! It was cool to see people’s collections in the credits at the ends - and cool to see some names I recognised from the community!

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2019, 01:21:11 PM »

So watching it for the second time.  As others have mentioned, G2 was referred to as insect like though it was one of the designers who says that specifically.  Summer does say that it was “nightmare fuel.”

For G3 they say “while not as popular as the ponies from the 80’s.......it far out performed these things (g2) but when sales began to sag...” g3.5 was designed.

Post Merge: November 15, 2019, 01:28:31 PM

to me I got the vibe they were saying G2 ruined MLP (or threw it off track), and it wasnt until Lauren came in with FiM and saved it
Ugh, I hate that implication. I'm so sick of the "G1 was great and then got infected with goo goo icky juice until Faust made it manly again" thing that gets spewed out by so many.

I didn’t read it quite that way.  Not as G2 “ruining” mlp.  I read it as these are the design choices that were made and tried out and some were more successful than others. And then they segue into G4 by talking about the “story” which they had already touched on the lack of earlier.

I do wish that they had mentioned the Hub and how Hasbro was trying to launch its own channel because I feel like that is an important aspect as to why they were looking to launch a new show and perhaps willing to throw a little more money into its development.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 01:28:31 PM by Sunset »

Offline SaraMari

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2019, 02:12:45 PM »
Thanks for weighing in Sunset! I wasnt sure if I was reading too much into it because I felt a little sad that G2 got dunked on. Great point about the hub piece of it   

Offline Valerie

• Dabbles Pony
  • ☼ I ❤ G3 ☼
    • View Profile
    • Valerie´s Pony Rainbow
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2019, 02:21:48 PM »

Valerie I'm glad your collection got featured! I enjoyed seeing the collections in the end credits!

Thank you!!!! I´m very happy, really didn´t expect that! Someone that has Netflix texted me today to send me the screenshot of my pic, I didn't even remember that I had sent photos to them  :lol: :biggrin: :lol:

:sunny:   visitors can't see pics , please register or login
   :sunny:   

Valerie´s Pony Rainbow Tumblr - Instagram - Youtube
:heart:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal