collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Unpopular Pony Opinions  (Read 411240 times)

Offline starscout

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
    • Pony blog
Re: Unpopular Pony Opinions
« Reply #2655 on: February 26, 2022, 10:18:38 AM »
I adore the the 2D G5 style (the one on merch/the advent calendar, not the one they're using for that cartoon). I don't care that they're heavily referenced/traced off of the 3D models. It's really cute, and I hope we get to see it animated at some point.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

art commissions non-MLP sales post

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #2656 on: February 26, 2022, 10:34:47 AM »
I really really want Hasbro to make Fluttershy, Applejack, and Rarity in G5 form! We've already got the other three, so it seems a bit off not to make the others....

Yeah, yeah, I know... More Main 6  :lol: *dodges fakies*

I'd like that to be a more unpopular opinion than it probably is xD.

I suspect my opinion that the M6 should be consigned to a massive and permanent bonfire is less popular.

...In seriousness, G5 can't really be considered G5 unless it ditches G4. It's not a new generation if it's stuck in the old context.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2657 on: April 07, 2022, 11:41:31 AM »
I'm so disappointed that Hasbro continues to dive deeper into the simplistic, deformed, and butt ugly calarts style that has been plaguing American animation all these years. I'm just glad the toys don't resemble it.  :huh:
« Last Edit: April 07, 2022, 11:43:30 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #2658 on: April 08, 2022, 08:26:52 AM »
I'm so disappointed that Hasbro continues to dive deeper into the simplistic, deformed, and butt ugly calarts style that has been plaguing American animation all these years. I'm just glad the toys don't resemble it.  :huh:
There's no such thing as CalArts style unless it actually came from that university in someway, and even then it means nothing, since anyone from said place can still do whatever style they want to do.  It is just a go-to phrase for a style someone doesn't like, nothing more, nothing less - a hater of G1's cartoon could call it CalArts if they chose to, that's how silly the phrase is.

I don't think any style has plagued animation personally, because there's so much variety and different styles - even the ones that look the same (or at least similar - have I ever found something that looks the same as another person's style?) have their own identity to me.

Okay, now that that's off my chest - I hope you didn't mind my outburst too much, I do respect it if you don't like the style of any of the cartoons, so I'm not arguing about that.  I wouldn't describe any of them as CalArts though, even if that phrase did have any legit meaning, like there actually was a CalArts style, but there's not, and the phrase needs to die out, in my opinion.

I'm sorry if I sounded rude in anyway, like I say, I do respect it if you don't like a style itself.
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2659 on: April 08, 2022, 12:48:44 PM »
Do we have to go over this every time someone uses that phrase...? I agree "CalArts style" isn't the most accurate of phrases but it *is* the most commonly used description of that particular art style, for better or worse.

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #2660 on: April 08, 2022, 01:06:21 PM »
Sorry, I'm just tired of it being used - I mean, it doesn't mean anything as it gets used for pretty much every style, as long as the person using the term hates the style.  At least when people used it to describe the bean mouth style, there was some consistency (it still wasn't correct and I still didn't find any real problem with it, but at least there was some agreement on what CalArts style was.)

Sorry if I've mentioned this before, I'll hope to avoid it next time (it kind of gets to me for various reasons.)  Sorry for derailing the topic as well.
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline SubmarineHallucination

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • Nothing is Astuter than a computer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2661 on: April 08, 2022, 01:34:20 PM »
I only really like G1
I don't mind BBEs, maybe if I saw them with the rusty eyes then I'd be like "Oh eww" but I think they're kinda cute in a pug kinda way!
I prefer the poses where they're kinda chunky, I think it's more charming than the thin, slimmer ones.
I don't love the so soft gimmik and it's a shame because the ponies underneath the manky flocking are STUNNING
Rapunzel is... ok. I'll save my money for Honeycomb or something!
The only MLP animated special/TV show thing I liked is Rescue at Midnight Castle and I wish they had kept that style for the later shows, the later art style and the way the hair is drawn ESPECIALLY look odd to me.
I don't need my ponies to be near mint. I think it's fun to clean them! It makes them feel more special to me.
Everybody needs a friend!
ISO Sweet Stuff and Honeycomb!

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #2662 on: April 08, 2022, 09:45:01 PM »
I disagree that "CalArts style" describes a particular art style.  It's a silly term and it was coined by the Ren and Stimpy guy, who really does not have any room to critique other artists IMO.  God that show was ugly.

I wish they had kept that style for the later shows, the later art style and the way the hair is drawn ESPECIALLY look odd to me.

Yeah, the MLP 'n Friends hair looks like leeches to me.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2663 on: April 09, 2022, 06:13:51 AM »
Yeah, the Ren n Stimpy show wasn't one of the better looking shows. Didn't he also make that one show with those creepy looking yellow -eyed dudes for MTV?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2022, 09:42:47 AM by Leave a Whisper »

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2664 on: April 09, 2022, 08:20:26 AM »
It's being *used* for a particular art style; I didn't say it wasn't a silly term. I dislike it too.

lol I didn't know John K coined it but I'm not surprised at all. Ren and Stimpy's ugly as hell IMO but I respect it for having its own style, I guess; not for me, but they knew what they wanted it to look like and they went for it, I can respect that.

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #2665 on: April 09, 2022, 09:21:05 AM »
Ren & Stimpy's art style was so weird. I loved the realistic shots as a kid but they also freaked me out :lol:

G1 animation is... poorly. Is it because it was the 80s? or was it lack of good art direction? And I really hate the artwork of G1 where their heads are on backwards. And that one pose with a backwards head is used today for merch and I just... ugh, why.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2666 on: April 09, 2022, 09:42:14 AM »
Ren & Stimpy's art style was so weird. I loved the realistic shots as a kid but they also freaked me out :lol:

G1 animation is... poorly. Is it because it was the 80s? or was it lack of good art direction? And I really hate the artwork of G1 where their heads are on backwards. And that one pose with a backwards head is used today for merch and I just... ugh, why.

Exorcist Ponyland Edition when?

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #2667 on: April 09, 2022, 11:11:52 AM »

and the retro art

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2668 on: April 09, 2022, 11:41:28 AM »

and the retro art

:biggrin: *cue tubular bells*

Offline SpacePinto

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2669 on: April 09, 2022, 05:11:43 PM »
I hate the animation style colloquially referred to as "CalArts" as well, those round protruding jawbones and bean mouths are so annoying.
Inka Dinka Doo

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal