collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Unpopular Pony Opinions  (Read 411169 times)

Offline ridi

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Depends Pony
  • Bug whisperer
    • View Profile
    • Swellpage.com
Re: Unpopular Pony Opinions
« Reply #2400 on: June 21, 2021, 09:45:20 AM »
I actually wonder if my opinion is a little more unpopular.....I LOVE the look of G5!!!!  :lovey: I know people are really disliking their "Elsa" looking faces, but I think they're all SO unbelievably cute, including Hitch (who I don't think looks like a smug jerk at all). I know that if I were a kid, I would have been all over these ponies, and I think their animation looks really top-notch from what we've seen. I am wary of the toys because we've been seeing a lot of molded hair which I personally hate, but otherwise I still think their actual designs are pretty darn adorable. It's sad to me to see how much negativity this new gen has been receiving from the get-go, especially when I genuinely think they are SO DARN CUTE!

I'm wary towards G5 myself so far, but I love seeing other people excited for it! I'm really happy for you  :lovey:

On the subject of G2, I was the target audience still in elementary school when it first came out, and I was heartbroken my old ponies were gone. I completely lost interest in new ponies when G1 were removed from the shelves.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Wishlist

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2401 on: June 21, 2021, 11:18:03 AM »
I'm very ambivalent about the new cross gen  pony comics, considering Hasbro's track record of treating its past iterations badly, to entertain the toxic sub-fandom.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2402 on: June 21, 2021, 12:30:25 PM »
Yeah that's what's got me worried, too. I guess I'm not opposed to the idea of an official G1/G4 crossover *in general*, but, I dunno, I just have a bad feeling about it for some reason. Can't quite put my finger on it, exactly. Hopefully my gut instinct is just off.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2403 on: June 21, 2021, 12:35:24 PM »
Yeah that's what's got me worried, too. I guess I'm not opposed to the idea of an official G1/G4 crossover *in general*, but, I dunno, I just have a bad feeling about it for some reason. Can't quite put my finger on it, exactly. Hopefully my gut instinct is just off.

Tbh, I think I'd much rather have a crossover between any of  the other 3 generations.

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #2404 on: June 21, 2021, 01:17:26 PM »
People didn’t like G2 because it was the first time they’d ever been rebooted.  They looked drastically different, lived in a different world and so on.  I was ok with them but I would have much preferred staying with the original ponies.  It was a sad time.

However, once I was able to get a complete DVD set of the G1 cartoons, I was much happier.  I love our modern world.  :lol:

I see, was G3 liked more by fans of G1?

Also judging by the timeline, many G1 fans would have been entering their teens when G2 came out. I dunno about you but it seems to me that teens can often be a little bit extreme with being opinionated.

This is also very true. We were all very young (now we're all ancient and don't care any more xD) and there were a lot of opinions and emotions flying. It was also the first new generation so we weren't used to it. The ponies then were just termed old ponies and new ponies, but there were...let's say split opinions which kind of became factions which kind of became a bit...hostile towards one another and yeah, stuff occurred. I think we'll leave it there. A sad time is definitely a good way to put it.

But G3 was universally welcomed. A lot of people were really relieved that it was more like G1, and everything kind of calmed down with G3 because nobody wanted to repeat what happened with G2.

G2 are now recognised and respected though so it all ended fine.

I think the same problems exist with the same demographic with G4 and some of the anti-G1 sentiment.

On the cross-gen - is that actually a thing that's going to happen?

I'm not really pro cross-gen outside of fanfic, honestly...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline ridi

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Depends Pony
  • Bug whisperer
    • View Profile
    • Swellpage.com
« Reply #2405 on: June 21, 2021, 01:21:15 PM »
I'm very ambivalent about the new cross gen  pony comics, considering Hasbro's track record of treating its past iterations badly, to entertain the toxic sub-fandom.

Yeah MTE. I've pretty much accepted G4 as being a br*ny-catered generation and I REALLY don't want them to bring G1 into the picture :/

Wishlist

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2406 on: June 21, 2021, 01:31:56 PM »
People didn’t like G2 because it was the first time they’d ever been rebooted.  They looked drastically different, lived in a different world and so on.  I was ok with them but I would have much preferred staying with the original ponies.  It was a sad time.

However, once I was able to get a complete DVD set of the G1 cartoons, I was much happier.  I love our modern world.  :lol:

Also judging by the timeline, many G1 fans would have been entering their teens when G2 came out. I dunno about you but it seems to me that teens can often be a little bit extreme with being opinionated.

This is also very true. We were all very young (now we're all ancient and don't care any more xD) and there were a lot of opinions and emotions flying. It was also the first new generation so we weren't used to it. The ponies then were just termed old ponies and new ponies, but there were...let's say split opinions which kind of became factions which kind of became a bit...hostile towards one another and yeah, stuff occurred. I think we'll leave it there. A sad time is definitely a good way to put it.

But G3 was universally welcomed. A lot of people were really relieved that it was more like G1, and everything kind of calmed down with G3 because nobody wanted to repeat what happened with G2.

I think the same problems exist with the same demographic with G4 and some of the anti-G1 sentiment.

Well you have 2 different segments to the G4 fandom. There's the bronies who were mostly teens and young adults when G4 came out. They kinda mellowed out a bit and many actually moved on to other things. Then there's the actual kids who G4 was for who are just entering their teens. They actually have fond memories of Equestria Girls and are the ones who are reacting strongly to the news about G5. (much like LPS fans with the vintage 90s line, I think G1 isn't even on their radar)
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2407 on: June 21, 2021, 02:11:59 PM »

Well you have 2 different segments to the G4 fandom. There's the bronies who were mostly teens and young adults when G4 came out. They kinda mellowed out a bit and many actually moved on to other things. Then there's the actual kids who G4 was for who are just entering their teens. They actually have fond memories of Equestria Girls and are the ones who are reacting strongly to the news about G5. (much like LPS fans with the vintage 90s line, I think G1 isn't even on their radar)

Three really. There are the crazy bronies as well.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline TwilightStarshine

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2408 on: June 26, 2021, 11:27:28 AM »
Yeah here the reception overall is pretty neutral and people who dislike it are chill about it.

Now on Hasbro's social media accounts, on the other hand.... people who dislike it are uh. Very loud and annoying about voicing their negative opinions every time Hasbro makes a new post. At least on Instagram they are, not sure about elsewhere but I'd imagine it's similar. I think it's mostly children who grew up with G4 being very hostile to G5 on Insta.

Some people have way too much time on their hands. :P Unfortunately, trolls will resurface every time a new generation is released but I agree it is not quite as bad as the G2 bashing back in the day. I fondly remember the tripod and geocities websites and their G2 mocking. Some of the content was rather funny, actually. I might have saved some of the pictures on the odd external harddisk. (A pony bearing a chainsaw and a bloody symbol comes to mind...) But make no mistake- people thoroughly hated* G2. G3 was warmly welcomed by children and collectors, but the third gen is often criticised and hated* by G4 fans/bronies.

My unpopular opinion is that I like ponies just for being ponies. I generally welcome all gens. People have often made me feel that that's not enough, and that I should have preferences. I do not dedicate myself to one gen or the other. I never did, and I do not believe I ever will. That does not imply I do not have opinions. I just do not like to exclude ponies based on a gen alone.

* 'Hated' as in 'I am convinced they would have quite literally melted them all if they had been given the chance'... :lookround:)

Offline sunshinedim

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2409 on: June 26, 2021, 12:09:36 PM »
Thinking about it now it seems very odd to hear about how much fans hated g2... they look just as cute as G1 ponies to me.... Sure they were smaller and thinner but so were the flutter ponies and the sweeheart sisters from G1. This wasn't the first time people saw smaller, skinnier ponies.

Like I fail to see how... the sweetheart sisters were drastically different from g2 ponies. To me they looked similar (and both were very cute).

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2410 on: June 26, 2021, 01:26:26 PM »
Not everyone hated G2, but there was militancy on both sides that saw to people on both sides being driven out of the community by some of the stuff that happened.

I don't really remember it fondly :/ I'm glad it ended.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Star-Watcher

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • The Raven's Nest
« Reply #2411 on: June 26, 2021, 01:53:27 PM »
Ones I can think of...

1:  I actually like Danny and would have loved to see him arrive in Equestria (perhaps hanging out with Zecora for a bit before continuing to find the old Dream Valley).  Note to self, make a 1/6 scale Danny action figure soon...

2:  The Sweetheart Sisters are quite pretty.

3:  Princess Royal Pink and Princess Royal Purple are just drop dead gorgeous.

That is all for now.
-- Star-Watcher
This space unintentionally left blank.

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2412 on: June 27, 2021, 04:45:00 AM »
Ones I can think of...

1:  I actually like Danny and would have loved to see him arrive in Equestria (perhaps hanging out with Zecora for a bit before continuing to find the old Dream Valley).  Note to self, make a 1/6 scale Danny action figure soon...

2:  The Sweetheart Sisters are quite pretty.

3:  Princess Royal Pink and Princess Royal Purple are just drop dead gorgeous.

That is all for now.
I too would love a Custom poseable Danny doll
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2413 on: June 27, 2021, 07:06:03 AM »
Thinking about it now it seems very odd to hear about how much fans hated g2... they look just as cute as G1 ponies to me.... Sure they were smaller and thinner but so were the flutter ponies and the sweeheart sisters from G1. This wasn't the first time people saw smaller, skinnier ponies.

Like I fail to see how... the sweetheart sisters were drastically different from g2 ponies. To me they looked similar (and both were very cute).

SHS have more defined faces and delicate heads,, while G2s have smoother, unfinished ones with round, lumpy muzzles.

G2s have more detailed legs, and shorter backs. While SHS have longer backs, and the the typical elephant pillar legs that's come to be associated with the brand.

I wasn't too sure about my Wildflower as a child. I remember thinking she looked strange compared to my other ponies. I do need to get her back into my collection however.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 07:08:16 AM by Leave a Whisper »

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2414 on: June 29, 2021, 02:06:40 PM »
To me, the Sweetheart Sisters and G2 generation look drastically different.  If I didn't know that G2 was My Little Pony, I would have thought they were fakies.  I think its the refined faces that make the sisters look like G1.

I do like G2.  The jewel eyes and accessories were amazing.  The hair was also nice. If they had made them look like Sweetheart sisters, I would have collected them all.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal