collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Unpopular Pony Opinions  (Read 411187 times)

Offline InkyMilk

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Unpopular Pony Opinions
« Reply #2385 on: June 18, 2021, 03:25:34 PM »
G5 isn't MLP to me. Honestly, it's everything I don't like in a nutshell. First pony gen ever that I will buy none of it. If I didn't know it was G5 and was told it was some Disney pony thing I'd believe it 100%. The faces are especially outputting. I don't like the whole idea or characters. Would of prefered the leaked art of the revamped mane 6, with maybe some new green ponies or Minty too.
At least I can focus on the G1s through G4 things I'm missing now without much new G4 stuff (sadly)
In fact I appreciate G3's line a lot more and might expand that collection.

Wouldn't call it an unpopular opinion. A lot of people seem to be having a mixed reaction  about it, as far as I can tell.

I actually wonder if my opinion is a little more unpopular.....I LOVE the look of G5!!!!  :lovey: I know people are really disliking their "Elsa" looking faces, but I think they're all SO unbelievably cute, including Hitch (who I don't think looks like a smug jerk at all). I know that if I were a kid, I would have been all over these ponies, and I think their animation looks really top-notch from what we've seen. I am wary of the toys because we've been seeing a lot of molded hair which I personally hate, but otherwise I still think their actual designs are pretty darn adorable. It's sad to me to see how much negativity this new gen has been receiving from the get-go, especially when I genuinely think they are SO DARN CUTE!

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #2386 on: June 19, 2021, 04:13:10 PM »
It's sad to me to see how much negativity this new gen has been receiving from the get-go, especially when I genuinely think they are SO DARN CUTE!

TBH, I haven't seen it as negativity really...in context with the way G2 was greeted, it's literally nothing at all. I think most people are quite on the fence about it and those who aren't so keen are more just neutral about it, there's not been (as far as I have seen) a lot of massively ranty posts on the subject.

Pony Life also had a much more vicious reception. And actually, I think G4 in its latter days has had a lot more mud thrown at it for repetitive toys and so on.

Most of the conversation I've seen on G5 has been extremely mild.

...But it's all relative compared to G2.

And of course, there's nothing at all amiss with finding G5 cute :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #2387 on: June 19, 2021, 04:56:10 PM »
I really like the G5 animation and I think the ponies look fine in it. I'm looking forward to the movie. The toys are another story, imo. It's been brought up before; the flat faces, the long necks, the hair only on the top of the head, etc. I will still collect Sunny and Hitch figures (if they can decide on a body color for Hitch. Is he orange, yellow, what?).

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2388 on: June 19, 2021, 05:20:39 PM »
I really like the G5 animation and I think the ponies look fine in it. I'm looking forward to the movie. The toys are another story, imo. It's been brought up before; the flat faces, the long necks, the hair only on the top of the head, etc. I will still collect Sunny and Hitch figures (if they can decide on a body color for Hitch. Is he orange, yellow, what?).

He's velveeta.  :P
« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 07:09:25 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2389 on: June 20, 2021, 07:06:58 AM »
Yeah honestly I think people have been pretty chill about G5 so far, definitely compared to how things were when Pony Life/G4.5 was revealed.. or Equestria Girls... pretty sure I recall the Movie G4s having a frostier reception than G5's getting, too. :P So far it seems like most of us here either LOVE G5 or are just kind of neutral to it, I've seen some "ugh yeah these aren't for me"-type posts but I don't remember seeing any huge super-angry rants about G5.

Of course idk how people are reacting to them in other communities, that's just my perspective of how things are here on the Arena.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2390 on: June 20, 2021, 07:13:45 AM »
Yeah honestly I think people have been pretty chill about G5 so far, definitely compared to how things were when Pony Life/G4.5 was revealed.. or Equestria Girls... pretty sure I recall the Movie G4s having a frostier reception than G5's getting, too. :P So far it seems like most of us here either LOVE G5 or are just kind of neutral to it, I've seen some "ugh yeah these aren't for me"-type posts but I don't remember seeing any huge super-angry rants about G5.

Of course idk how people are reacting to them in other communities, that's just my perspective of how things are here on the Arena.

On the MLPTP the reactions are more or less  the same.

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #2391 on: June 20, 2021, 07:31:21 AM »
Yeah here the reception overall is pretty neutral and people who dislike it are chill about it.

Now on Hasbro's social media accounts, on the other hand.... people who dislike it are uh. Very loud and annoying about voicing their negative opinions every time Hasbro makes a new post. At least on Instagram they are, not sure about elsewhere but I'd imagine it's similar. I think it's mostly children who grew up with G4 being very hostile to G5 on Insta.

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #2392 on: June 20, 2021, 10:38:11 AM »
Now on Hasbro's social media accounts, on the other hand.... people who dislike it are uh. Very loud and annoying about voicing their negative opinions every time Hasbro makes a new post. At least on Instagram they are, not sure about elsewhere but I'd imagine it's similar. I think it's mostly children who grew up with G4 being very hostile to G5 on Insta.
I used to keep comment notifs on my G5MLP IG account so I could answer questions but now I've just taken to totally ignoring comments. It's exhausting to read!

I'm seeing a mix of excitement and disdain.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2393 on: June 20, 2021, 10:48:11 AM »
Yeah here the reception overall is pretty neutral and people who dislike it are chill about it.

That sounds similar to what happened with LPS. When Hasbro drastically redesigned LPS in the 2000s it gained a new fandom. These kids got attached to them and some to this day still collect and customize and make stop motion animations on YouTube with them. When Hasbro redesigned LPS yet again they didn't take it well and started posting on every LPS related post Hasbro made to "bring back G1" or "bring back old LPS".

For some reason fans of Hasbro's LPS don't count the 90s Kenner line as G1 and it kills me. They tend to act like it doesn't even exist while people who are fans of the 90s LPS call it "vintage LPS" or "Kenner LPS".
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline sunshinedim

• Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2394 on: June 20, 2021, 12:58:03 PM »
It's sad to me to see how much negativity this new gen has been receiving from the get-go, especially when I genuinely think they are SO DARN CUTE!

TBH, I haven't seen it as negativity really...in context with the way G2 was greeted, it's literally nothing at all. I think most people are quite on the fence about it and those who aren't so keen are more just neutral about it, there's not been (as far as I have seen) a lot of massively ranty posts on the subject.

Pony Life also had a much more vicious reception. And actually, I think G4 in its latter days has had a lot more mud thrown at it for repetitive toys and so on.

Most of the conversation I've seen on G5 has been extremely mild.

...But it's all relative compared to G2.

And of course, there's nothing at all amiss with finding G5 cute :)

I wasn't online when G2 started and I wasn't in a MLP community at all actually..... so I am curious... why was G2 disliked by fans?

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2395 on: June 20, 2021, 01:07:39 PM »
People didn’t like G2 because it was the first time they’d ever been rebooted.  They looked drastically different, lived in a different world and so on.  I was ok with them but I would have much preferred staying with the original ponies.  It was a sad time.

However, once I was able to get a complete DVD set of the G1 cartoons, I was much happier.  I love our modern world.  :lol:
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline sunshinedim

• Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2396 on: June 20, 2021, 01:19:28 PM »
People didn’t like G2 because it was the first time they’d ever been rebooted.  They looked drastically different, lived in a different world and so on.  I was ok with them but I would have much preferred staying with the original ponies.  It was a sad time.

However, once I was able to get a complete DVD set of the G1 cartoons, I was much happier.  I love our modern world.  :lol:

I see, was G3 liked more by fans of G1?

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2397 on: June 20, 2021, 02:46:16 PM »

Also judging by the timeline, many G1 fans would have been entering their teens when G2 came out. I dunno about you but it seems to me that teens can often be a little bit extreme with being opinionated.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2398 on: June 20, 2021, 05:00:40 PM »

Yes, G3s were very popular with kids and collectors alike

Offline sunshinedim

• Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2399 on: June 21, 2021, 02:09:39 AM »

Yes, G3s were very popular with kids and collectors alike

I understand! I was a kid when G3s were in stores and I loved them too! To me they didn't look that drastically different from the ponies in the G1 cartoons that I saw. I still see G1 and G3 as being very similar..... the biggest difference was that G1 had more unicorns and pegasi while G3 had mostly earth ponies.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal