collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Unpopular Pony Opinions  (Read 411058 times)

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
Re: Unpopular Pony Opinions
« Reply #2355 on: June 09, 2021, 07:31:30 AM »
A few re-releases here and there are fine. I don't understand why hasbro has this horrendous need to drown everything else with a handful of characters. And we certainly don't need them constantly throughout the whole thing.  Especially considering how easy it is to pick up a lot of toys second hand online.

Kids don't want 10 Rainbowdashes, 15 Twilight Sparkles,  and 8 Sunny Starscouts. One of each will do just fine. MLP isn't Barbie, and it never should have been attempted that way.

Some adults army build. Kids, not as much.  Extreme repetition frustrates them too. My daughter got a little sick of getting Rarity pack-ins, and willingly gave the extras away.

I've seen little girls digging for anything else,  and not even bothering with mane suxx. I've seen them grab the basic fun ponies. I've seen them grab g3s, other g4s and fakies at swapmeets.

It's funny because even Barbie releases plenty of (unnamed) new characters constantly, such as in their Fashionistas line. I really don't get why Hasbro are so dead set on releasing so many toys of their main pony casts... they can absolutely find a balance between making different releases of the main pony casts and new characters, but they really didn't seem to want to the longer G4 went on. So far all we've seen of the G5 toys have been main characters, though we've not really seen many still. I hope we get more variety in the end than we've seen so far. But I won't hold out hope too much.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2356 on: June 09, 2021, 07:44:36 AM »
Do they? I didn't know that about Barbie.  I stand corrected.

And while Transformers does go a bit overboard with popular perennial characters,  they have a good balance between old, new, obscure and popular. So certainly they can, need and should bring that back to MLP.

G5 is just beginning,  we'll wait and see what they do. And we'll cross our fingers and refuse to hold our breath.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 07:47:32 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2357 on: June 09, 2021, 08:06:47 AM »
Honestly that's what really confuses me about the endless parade of main characters, how Hasbro DO get it right with Transformers. Like, why get it right with one line and not the other?? I don't know a lot about TFs but I do know whenever I see them on the shelves, yeah there'll be at least one Optimus Prime, but there's also a good variety of characters. Can't remember the last time we had that with MLP.

Admittedly TF does have multiple different lines (Rescue Bots/Bayformers/etc) whereas MLP usually just has one main line, so it's not entirely a fair comparison I guess, but still... If they could just give that kind of character variety to MLP, that would be fantastic.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2358 on: June 09, 2021, 08:37:47 AM »
Honestly that's what really confuses me about the endless parade of main characters, how Hasbro DO get it right with Transformers. Like, why get it right with one line and not the other?? I don't know a lot about TFs but I do know whenever I see them on the shelves, yeah there'll be at least one Optimus Prime, but there's also a good variety of characters. Can't remember the last time we had that with MLP.

Admittedly TF does have multiple different lines (Rescue Bots/Bayformers/etc) whereas MLP usually just has one main line, so it's not entirely a fair comparison I guess, but still... If they could just give that kind of character variety to MLP, that would be fantastic.

MLP does have sets,which I suppose could be a somewhat similar counterpart. Plus Transformers has new characters with the Fossilizers, which are dinosaur robots that you can pull apart and put together to make your own monsters. While it does stick to some of the popular dinosaur species, such as T-Rex and Triceratops. They aren't fossilized versions of Grimlock and Slag. They're their own thing, with their own names.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 07:26:34 AM by Leave a Whisper »

Offline ponyprincess2021

• Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2359 on: June 09, 2021, 08:44:10 AM »
I guess another unpopular opinion is that I actually like sunny’s design. I have seen her get a lot of hate and she’s one of my favorites so far.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2360 on: June 09, 2021, 09:01:03 AM »
An unpopular opinion of mine, is that I like Izzy Moonbow and Zipp Storm the least. They have the worst human faces of the bunch.

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2361 on: June 09, 2021, 12:08:17 PM »
MLP does have sets,which I suppose could be a somewhat similar counterpart.

Sorry, I probably should have said "series" not "lines" before. I meant TF has multiple different shows etc to promote whereas MLP usually only has one at a time (except for EQG).

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2362 on: June 09, 2021, 12:09:55 PM »
MLP does have sets,which I suppose could be a somewhat similar counterpart.

Sorry, I probably should have said "series" not "lines" before. I meant TF has multiple different shows etc to promote whereas MLP usually only has one at a time (except for EQG).

I know what you meant.  ^.^

Offline Shaz

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2363 on: June 10, 2021, 01:44:48 AM »
I think my latest unpopular opinion is that....if I had been a child when G4 was around, I would probably have happily bought multiple versions of the characters and not minded the lack of variety :blush:

Back when I was little, I collected beanie babies, and I was obsessed with Amber and Silver the cats. I ended up with about fifteen of each of them (I especially couldn't leave them behind if I saw them second-hand). They all looked slightly different, and I gave them all different names and personalities and accessories. I still have three of each of them on my shelves, because to me they're separate characters and I couldn't choose just one to display.

So if I had seen Applejack with sparkly hair, and Applejack with apples all over, and Applejack with a hairband, I would have been one happy child :) Still, as I have so often been informed, I am quite weird, and I don't suppose Hasbro intends to market towards small weirdos :lol: Bit of a niche market! But that's my confession for today: my name is Shaz, and I like repetition of my favourite things :lol:

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2364 on: June 10, 2021, 01:25:13 PM »
So if I had seen Applejack with sparkly hair, and Applejack with apples all over, and Applejack with a hairband, I would have been one happy child :) Still, as I have so often been informed, I am quite weird, and I don't suppose Hasbro intends to market towards small weirdos :lol: Bit of a niche market! But that's my confession for today: my name is Shaz, and I like repetition of my favourite things :lol:

I really don't think it's as weird as you think. It's rather common for kids to do that with other cartoon driven kid's franchises such as Paw Patrol or Peppa Pig. Whether we like it or not what MLP is about has changed to be more cartoon driven (this actually dates back to G3.5 Core 7 and not G4 so don't blame FIM) than toy driven.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Itcheeee

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2365 on: June 11, 2021, 10:46:24 PM »
G5 isn't MLP to me. Honestly, it's everything I don't like in a nutshell. First pony gen ever that I will buy none of it. If I didn't know it was G5 and was told it was some Disney pony thing I'd believe it 100%. The faces are especially outputting. I don't like the whole idea or characters. Would of prefered the leaked art of the revamped mane 6, with maybe some new green ponies or Minty too.
At least I can focus on the G1s through G4 things I'm missing now without much new G4 stuff (sadly)
In fact I appreciate G3's line a lot more and might expand that collection.
Buying any and all Sonic the Hedgehog items of any kind I don't already have. Can also trade ponies of all generations.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #2366 on: June 12, 2021, 01:01:49 AM »

I really don't think it's as weird as you think. It's rather common for kids to do that with other cartoon driven kid's franchises such as Paw Patrol or Peppa Pig. Whether we like it or not what MLP is about has changed to be more cartoon driven (this actually dates back to G3.5 Core 7 and not G4 so don't blame FIM) than toy driven.

If it's not weird then I guess I'm the odd one...when I was a kid, I never liked/wanted doubles of anything. And when my sister had ponies, I wanted her to have different ones that I didn't have, because it meant more ponies overall xD. I was really annoyed that some of her second hand ponies overlapped mine, because it seemed like a missed opportunity ;)

When we started online trading, naynie and I drew up a list of who would have which pony, rather than each of us having all of them. While there are some ponies we do both have now, there are others she has which I've never cared about getting - not because I don't like them, but because she has them, so I feel like the box is ticked.

I think both kinds of kid probably exist, but at least in G1 you kind of had a choice whether you wanted multiple versions of, say, Posey, or whether you wanted to collect the different characters instead.

Even now I don't really do armies. Where I have multiple of a pony there's either a reason behind it or they're variations.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline SpacePinto

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2367 on: June 12, 2021, 05:45:39 AM »
G5 isn't MLP to me. Honestly, it's everything I don't like in a nutshell. First pony gen ever that I will buy none of it. If I didn't know it was G5 and was told it was some Disney pony thing I'd believe it 100%. The faces are especially outputting. I don't like the whole idea or characters. Would of prefered the leaked art of the revamped mane 6, with maybe some new green ponies or Minty too.
At least I can focus on the G1s through G4 things I'm missing now without much new G4 stuff (sadly)
In fact I appreciate G3's line a lot more and might expand that collection.

Same here, although I would personally extend it to G4 as well (maybe even later G3 with its horrors like newborn cuties, but I digress)
Inka Dinka Doo

Offline fuzzysherbet

• Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2368 on: June 12, 2021, 07:25:24 AM »
I don't know how unpopular this opinion is, but. I think the wings on the g5 art style are down there with the worst wings MLP has ever seen. It's like they wanted to have both stylised wings and realistic wings, but failed on both counts. Sure, g3 and g4 both had incredibly stylised wings, but at least they looked good; and the g4 wings in particular I think are the best MLP has ever seen, because they look appropriately flight capable for the also incredibly stylised creatures they were attached to!
An opinion I hold that I'm sure will be much more unpopular than the first one, is that g1 has the absolute worst wings MLP has ever seen. Worse than g5 wings. I am sorry, but they don't even look remotely like wings. More like corn cobs. I'm glad the toys got past that particular design characteristic...

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2369 on: June 12, 2021, 08:34:07 AM »
wouldn't say g1 is the worst, because i grew up with it, and am used to it. But they definitely look like corn on the cob. That really hit home when my parents bought me Dancing Butterflies.  :lol:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal