collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Unpopular Pony Opinions  (Read 411128 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Unpopular Pony Opinions
« Reply #2340 on: June 05, 2021, 01:21:17 PM »
I guess I was lucky that my G1 childhood ponies weren't flooded by pink - and the pink ones I had early on were (Movie Star, not SS) Shady and Snowflake who are...significantly vivid, let's just say, to not be dull. So I didn't get sick of pink ponies.

As a kid I hated pink, I don't hate it now. But it does depend on the SHADE of pink. Pinkie Pie pink should be banned. But the pale pink or the magenta/pink combos like Cheerilee...I'm down for those.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2341 on: June 05, 2021, 01:28:32 PM »
I like pink ponies too! As long as there's other colours AS WELL as pink. ;) I just want variety in general.

I agree that Hasbro did seem to be trying out the "core ponies" model with the Tales characters.

I also don't like the names of the G5s. But I'm really just unmoved by them completely right now...

Same here. Their names are so weird.. but it's really difficult for me to feel strongly about the G5s either way. They're just kind of *there*, for me.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2342 on: June 05, 2021, 01:44:32 PM »
Quote from: Carrehz
Same here. Their names are so weird.. but it's really difficult for me to feel strongly about the G5s either way. They're just kind of *there*, for me.
Yep. That's it exactly. But if the kids like them, then it's all good.

And that was also my feeling about pink. Pink AND other colours.

Although I am a bit sick of the orange/pink colourscheme that seems to have been haunting the line since Sparkleworks in G3.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2343 on: June 05, 2021, 11:43:47 PM »
It's interesting that we're talking about the Core 7/Mane 6, because I strongly got the feeling that when they brought in the trio of 'new heroes' during the MLP:FIM episodes where we meet Starlight Glimmer in Season 5 (wow, so long ago!), that we were going to see some new reoccurring characters with Double Diamond, Party Favor and Sugar Belle. I almost felt like, 'aha, here's the new main trio, the Mane Three', and it annoyed me a little! I wasn't ready to have the Mane Six upended so quickly for some new merchandising opportunities! And then ... we kind of never saw them again? And I disliked that even more, LOL! (It also made me annoyed when we saw Sugar Belle brought back for the 'yay, marriage and babies!' with Big Mac, and we kind of never spoke about her two best friends ever again!) So while I was/am sick of only getting toys of the primary six characters, I did enjoy following their adventures on the show! I wish they could go back to the early days, where each wave would have one or two of the Mane Six, and a few backgrounders/OCs to accompany.

And on a wildly different topic, I like pink ponies, despite my tween/teenager stage of 'boo, pink sucks'. But I agree, when the toyline is 80% pink, it's easy to resent the pink! I think pink is a classic staple of MLP, and I hope that won't change ... but I hope we will also see a variety of colors. (And please, please no more of the orange/pink combo! Sparkleworks says enough is enough! :lmao: )
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2344 on: June 06, 2021, 06:29:33 AM »
Oh god yes, please stop with all the orange/pink XD And orange/purple, for that matter.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2345 on: June 06, 2021, 06:43:25 AM »
Orange/green/yellow and orange/blue look good together.  I actually do like neon orange/pastel pink as a combo. And I say that as someone who doesn't like orange and pink that much.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #2346 on: June 06, 2021, 07:09:58 AM »
Is someone dissing orange ponies?

I love Wish-a-Whirl, she's my favorite G3 because of her color combo. I think pink and purple are over done. We need more blue and green ponies.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2347 on: June 06, 2021, 07:13:24 AM »
I got Wish-a-Whirl last year, she's stunning!

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2348 on: June 06, 2021, 08:49:36 AM »
I wish they could go back to the early days, where each wave would have one or two of the Mane Six, and a few backgrounders/OCs to accompany.

That would only work if the only ponies they released were regular ponies with no gimmicks at all. Otherwise you would end up with a mismatched set trying to get all six because one pony would have tinsel and another two would have designs going down the leg and then another would be pearly and so on. That there reminds me of my biggest peeve. If they are going to have a mane six set they can't leave anyone out. I have skipped whole sets because one character was missing. The only set I got that didn't have all of them was the pearly ones because my love of translucent things is so strong. But I did also get the pearly reboot set that did include all six.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Tropical_Sunset

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #2349 on: June 06, 2021, 03:01:48 PM »
I wish they could go back to the early days, where each wave would have one or two of the Mane Six, and a few backgrounders/OCs to accompany.

That would only work if the only ponies they released were regular ponies with no gimmicks at all. Otherwise you would end up with a mismatched set trying to get all six because one pony would have tinsel and another two would have designs going down the leg and then another would be pearly and so on. That there reminds me of my biggest peeve. If they are going to have a mane six set they can't leave anyone out. I have skipped whole sets because one character was missing. The only set I got that didn't have all of them was the pearly ones because my love of translucent things is so strong. But I did also get the pearly reboot set that did include all six.

STILL MAD they didn't make a pearly pre-reboot Rarity. That was messed up.

They could just do two waves for each line to include the main 6 and new characters each time. Three main characters and 3 random characters in wave 1, then the other 3 main characters and 3 more random characters in the second wave. I'd love that.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 03:03:39 PM by Tropical_Sunset »

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2350 on: June 06, 2021, 03:06:22 PM »
Well with any luck, we'll never see the Mane Suxx again. I will be livid if they put a single toy of them in the new line.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 03:18:04 PM by Leave a Whisper »

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2351 on: June 07, 2021, 06:52:16 AM »
They could just do two waves for each line to include the main 6 and new characters each time. Three main characters and 3 random characters in wave 1, then the other 3 main characters and 3 more random characters in the second wave. I'd love that.

I agree, that'd be the perfect way to go about it! That way no one gets left out, but it's also not just the same old characters every time.

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2352 on: June 07, 2021, 07:20:17 AM »

I agree, that'd be the perfect way to go about it! That way no one gets left out, but it's also not just the same old characters every time.

They sorta did that already except all the new characters would be in the second wave. And then stores would order so much of the first wave that the second wave with all the good characters would be hard to find.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2353 on: June 09, 2021, 03:04:43 AM »
I still think the MH approach (and G2 approach I think too) was best. But I don't care about them matching? Why would they need to match? I don't really understand that so maybe it's an unpopular opinion of mine...?

I often only had one pony from a set as a kid and it never bothered me that way.

And it's not as though Hopscotch matches the glitter symbol of her set. Gypsy and SNowflake have freckles but the others don't. Honeycomb and Gypsy are different species. I mean, what's the fun in them all being the same..?
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2354 on: June 09, 2021, 07:07:20 AM »
A few re-releases here and there are fine. I don't understand why hasbro has this horrendous need to drown everything else with a handful of characters. And we certainly don't need them constantly throughout the whole thing.  Especially considering how easy it is to pick up a lot of toys second hand online.

Kids don't want 10 Rainbowdashes, 15 Twilight Sparkles,  and 8 Sunny Starscouts. One of each will do just fine. MLP isn't Barbie, and it never should have been attempted that way.

Some adults army build. Kids, not as much.  Extreme repetition frustrates them too. My daughter got a little sick of getting Rarity pack-ins, and willingly gave the extras away.

I've seen little girls digging for anything else,  and not even bothering with mane suxx. I've seen them grab the basic fun ponies. I've seen them grab g3s, other g4s and fakies at swapmeets.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 07:29:17 AM by Leave a Whisper »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal