collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Unpopular Pony Opinions  (Read 411101 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Unpopular Pony Opinions
« Reply #2190 on: March 26, 2021, 11:43:18 AM »
I know what you mean. I have a whole bunch of stories I wrote when I was eight or nine about Magic Star, Cherries Jubilee and Paradise...

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2191 on: March 26, 2021, 03:50:15 PM »
I hope there are kids out there now ignoring FiM and inventing their own pony worlds :)

Me too!!!

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2192 on: March 26, 2021, 05:00:42 PM »
I hope there are kids out there now ignoring FiM and inventing their own pony worlds :)

Me too!!!
Me three
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Offline Ragamuffin

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2193 on: March 26, 2021, 10:27:56 PM »

Me too!!!
Me three

Not sure about how the toys are, but "rewrites" and "nextgens" are huge on places like DeviantArt. A large portion of the community are kids grew up watching the show, at least. People love to make OCs and redesign existing characters, and make up new stories. It's nice to see.

Do you wish Twilight Sparkle was blue instead of purple and married Big Macintosh, who's green now? Do you want to follow the story of their daughter, who's friends with Celestia (now yellow) and Double Diamond's son? Weird fanfic is a part of most fandoms but at least it fits MLP well!

Offline ponyshoes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Custom Bait Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2194 on: March 26, 2021, 10:58:06 PM »
I used to really dislike chartreuse haired ponies. But actually I love it now on g1 surprise and I enjoy seeing a pony that has a stripe of it, I just like the brightness it adds :)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2195 on: March 27, 2021, 08:36:46 PM »

Me too!!!

I hope so too
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Tropical_Sunset

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #2196 on: March 28, 2021, 10:51:35 AM »
The Tootsie pose is one of the best G1 poses.

Online Shadowperla

• Secret Surprise Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2197 on: March 28, 2021, 05:16:55 PM »
What I miss is people being... allowed? to make up their OWN personalities for ponies. Like, it used to be that if you wanted to write a story where maybe one pony uses her cartoon personality, but another is more based on her backcard, or UK comic, or whatever, or just made up from wholecloth... no one would bat an eye. But nowadays, especially with G4/FiM, it's all "alternate universe" this and "headcanon" that, you know? I dunno if this makes sense, or if I'm wording it right, but I miss when it was just an understood thing, that everyone had their own idea/version of Ponyland.

Aw, how I miss it, too :(

But it is because your own version is "play", and we cannot "play", fanfic is SERIOUS and ACTUAL WRITING *pouts*

I renamed half of my g4, I want to not have to explain :'(

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #2198 on: March 29, 2021, 07:59:23 AM »
Thank you to those who respond about the Mane Six.  I do understand about the problem with Hasbro overproducing them in the toyline - as much as I love them in the show, I wouldn't want multiple versions of them if I was collecting G4 toys, I'd want a variety of ponies.  Even if I was a kid who was a fan of the show, and was motivated to buy the toys for that reason, I doubt I'd want more than just one toy of the same character (unless the new toy did something really amazing, or looked better) - if anything I'd want the other characters (that I liked) so I could include them in my "episodes" when I played.

I'm going to miss them and all the other G4 ponies so much. Many based on G1 and G3 ponies makes it more painful to see them just disappear.
Well, if it helps... they're not exactly going anywhere - like the generations before them G4 will continue to exist no matter how many generations are made, through memory, rerun, fanon, toy playing, and whatever else there is.  The ponies you love from any generation will always be there for you when you need them.   :good:

What I miss is people being... allowed? to make up their OWN personalities for ponies. Like, it used to be that if you wanted to write a story where maybe one pony uses her cartoon personality, but another is more based on her backcard, or UK comic, or whatever, or just made up from wholecloth... no one would bat an eye. But nowadays, especially with G4/FiM, it's all "alternate universe" this and "headcanon" that, you know? I dunno if this makes sense, or if I'm wording it right, but I miss when it was just an understood thing, that everyone had their own idea/version of Ponyland.
I think for the most part we are, but I think I get what you're saying...  It's probably because I'm so used to the terms, but I ultimately take phrases like "headcanon" and "alternative universe" to be evidence that you still are "allowed" to create your own version of My Little Pony, but it may be because those terms are basically a second language to me now, in a sense.

It may also just be an easy way to point out that your story is not expected to follow canon to the letter.  It's like how when the fanseries I'm working on airs, it will be labelled as an "AU Sequel", it's not a sequel to FiM it's a sequel to a version of FiM were the things we (myself and my friend/writing partner) wanted to happen did, and didn't want to happen didn't... the only time canon events affect anything is if we liked said canon event better than what we already had planned (if we even did have anything planned.)

And in terms of simply playing with toys, I'm sure there's kids who do their own version of things, even if they're fans of FiM.  I'm speaking for myself, but whenever I played with toys from shows I watched, I did my own episodes with them, and sometimes they were completely different characters, even if I knew where they were from.  Having a set storyline/character personality provided by TV or wherever doesn't usually override imagination, so I'm sure there's at least some who are doing their own thing, even if they're using the show as a jumping off point, but there's probably those who are doing their whole "universe" from scratch too.

And in terms of my writing, I basically take what I like and what I can from different versions, providing it makes sense (e.g. if the comic version of a pony it too different to the cartoon version of a pony, it may not make sense to combine them, so I'd choose which version I want to portray) and we even add our own interpretations of ponies, when possible, and when desired.

So yeah... ultimately I think we can still create our own versions of things, be it playing or creating.
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2199 on: March 29, 2021, 08:17:51 AM »

Aw, how I miss it, too :(

But it is because your own version is "play", and we cannot "play", fanfic is SERIOUS and ACTUAL WRITING *pouts*

I renamed half of my g4, I want to not have to explain :'(

That's rich coming from them, the bloody hypocrites. Especially seeing how much they  scream and whine at the creators whenever the actual story doesn't go their way. They don't listen to older fans on what is official either.

Who gives a crap what they think or want? Play how you want. That's what the  block list is for. And you can leave the little you-know-whats to scream into the void like they deserve. Those sorts of people  are not worth your time Perla.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 09:20:58 AM by Leave a Whisper »

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2200 on: March 29, 2021, 12:17:27 PM »
If they are bronies who insist on using fan names not Hasbro names for certain ponies have absolutely no right to tell anyone else what to call their ponies. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with the brony names or fan names for any ponies that Hasbro released under different names - until you start telling someone else in the same breath they're 'not allowed' to rename a pony because it's 'not canon'.

I don't write pony stories any more, haven't for years, but I feel like AU and so on...hrm. For me AU is a long way from the original storyline. Like when you take characters and put them into an entirely different universe. I know with one ff series I wrote a long time ago, it was a series with multiple continuities...so I took one as the basis and inserted bits from all of the others into the stories to create one big canon universe. That was technically 'AU' because it straddled canons - just like I guess crossing G1/G4 would be considered AU.

But I can understand why people don't want to use those terms with MLP, because you know, MLP has never had 'canon' in the same way as you expect a book or film or tv series to have. It's a new concept in G4 that never existed prior to that. So I can understand why people use those same terms - but also why some people feel they shouldn't have to, because MLP has always been a lot more liberal.

I hope that made sense.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2201 on: March 29, 2021, 12:21:20 PM »
If they are bronies who insist on using fan names not Hasbro names for certain ponies have absolutely no right to tell anyone else what to call their ponies. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with the brony names or fan names for any ponies that Hasbro released under different names - until you start telling someone else in the same breath they're 'not allowed' to rename a pony because it's 'not canon'.

I don't write pony stories any more, haven't for years, but I feel like AU and so on...hrm. For me AU is a long way from the original storyline. Like when you take characters and put them into an entirely different universe. I know with one ff series I wrote a long time ago, it was a series with multiple continuities...so I took one as the basis and inserted bits from all of the others into the stories to create one big canon universe. That was technically 'AU' because it straddled canons - just like I guess crossing G1/G4 would be considered AU.

But I can understand why people don't want to use those terms with MLP, because you know, MLP has never had 'canon' in the same way as you expect a book or film or tv series to have. It's a new concept in G4 that never existed prior to that. So I can understand why people use those same terms - but also why some people feel they shouldn't have to, because MLP has always been a lot more liberal.

I hope that made sense.

It did make sense.

I was talking about stuff like,  when they argue about Tales being G2 when its G1. Or when they say that FIM is the first girl show to have adventure, which is obviously bull.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2202 on: March 29, 2021, 12:27:52 PM »

I hope that made sense.

It did make sense.

I was talking about stuff like,  when they argue about Tales being G2 when its G1. Or when they say that FIM is the first girl show to have adventure, which is obviously bull.

...That's a whole other level of delusion. I feel I need extra fortification just to think about wading into it xD.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2203 on: March 29, 2021, 12:30:44 PM »

I hope that made sense.

It did make sense.

...That's a whole other level of delusion. I feel I need extra fortification just to think about wading into it xD.

Whatsa matter Taf? The war mecha you constructed last year still not enough? :silly:

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2204 on: March 29, 2021, 12:36:17 PM »

I hope that made sense.

It did make sense.

Whatsa matter Taf? The war mecha you constructed last year still not enough? :silly:
:devious: :silly:
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal