collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Unpopular Pony Opinions  (Read 411169 times)

Offline Itcheeee

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Unpopular Pony Opinions
« Reply #2175 on: March 22, 2021, 05:13:51 PM »
This seems to be a pretty unpopular-ish opinion here, but... I love the Mane Six...  :lookround:

I get how they can be a problem from a toyline perspective or (especially) a collectors perspective, but purely as characters, I love them and have a sentimental and nostalgic attachment to them.  They weren't always written how I feel they should have been, which is an opinion in itself, but for the most part I still feel attached to them as characters, and the friendship they have with each other, and always will.
I agree with you 100%! Applejack and Fluttershy are my favorites so it's always disappointing when they get left out in merchandise 90% of the time.
Both were sometimes portrayed badly, especially Fluttershy (At the Gala for example) so maybe that's why. :( I'm going to miss them and all the other G4 ponies so much. Many based on G1 and G3 ponies makes it more painful to see them just disappear.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 05:24:39 PM by Itcheeee »
Buying any and all Sonic the Hedgehog items of any kind I don't already have. Can also trade ponies of all generations.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #2176 on: March 22, 2021, 10:33:21 PM »
This seems to be a pretty unpopular-ish opinion here, but... I love the Mane Six...  :lookround:

I get how they can be a problem from a toyline perspective or (especially) a collectors perspective, but purely as characters, I love them and have a sentimental and nostalgic attachment to them.  They weren't always written how I feel they should have been, which is an opinion in itself, but for the most part I still feel attached to them as characters, and the friendship they have with each other, and always will.

I love the Mane 6! I just wish Hasbro hadn't released so many versions of them is all. I like them as characters and I also enjoy various third party releases of figures and plush of them, but I just think Hasbro themselves released them too much in the main toyline. I'm fine with the Mane 6 being all over third party products and merchandise, it was just way overboard as far as the main toyline was concerned. Just too many releases where many ended up looking similar to one another when they could have made some other FiM characters into toys, or had made more toy original ponies. So as much as I do complain about Hasbro putting toys of them out so much during G4's run, I still do like them! Especially Twilight and Fluttershy, they're my favorites! :lovey:

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline starrynights

• Takara Fakie
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Tinsel Enthusiast, Fakie Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2177 on: March 23, 2021, 02:59:16 PM »
It makes me sad when people hate on other gens or says MLP just needs to end because they don't like a certain gen.

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2178 on: March 23, 2021, 10:42:50 PM »
Starry yep!!!

MJN agreed. TS is my fave of the Six. It's just the oversaturation in the toyline which drove me bonkers, when there were so many background characters who never got a brushable
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #2179 on: March 24, 2021, 08:40:15 AM »
My unpopular opinion is that I don't think the animation is that important for defining MLP, their characters or whatever. It's admittedly harder to make that separation for G4, but I definitely feel like G1 and G3, the animation is an add-on and absolutely not integral or important to the line overall.

And with G4, speaking as someone who likes the toys but not really FIM, I'd have probably been happier with more toy variety, and fewer animated episodes, memes and the like.

I don't know why I am so apathetic towards older gen animation, except that as a kid it felt like it was full of mistakes because of the different names/ponies not sold here/whatever. I always preferred the comics. I dunno, I just feel like MLP is fine even when there isn't any animation. Which is why it always bothers me when G2 gets ignored simply because it lacks a cartoon.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline SpacePinto

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2180 on: March 25, 2021, 08:35:27 AM »
My unpopular opinion is that I don't think the animation is that important for defining MLP, their characters or whatever. It's admittedly harder to make that separation for G4, but I definitely feel like G1 and G3, the animation is an add-on and absolutely not integral or important to the line overall.

I don't think this would be considered an unpopular opinion among 99% of users on this particular board...
Inka Dinka Doo

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2181 on: March 25, 2021, 08:52:16 AM »

I don't think this would be considered an unpopular opinion among 99% of users on this particular board...

I'm not sure. I think a lot more people reference/are sympathetic to the G1 animation when it comes to discussions, and certainly privelege the characterisation from those over other things like backcards.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2182 on: March 25, 2021, 10:46:44 AM »

And with G4, speaking as someone who likes the toys but not really FIM, I'd have probably been happier with more toy variety, and fewer animated episodes, memes and the like.

I don't know why I am so apathetic towards older gen animation, except that as a kid it felt like it was full of mistakes because of the different names/ponies not sold here/whatever. I always preferred the comics. I dunno, I just feel like MLP is fine even when there isn't any animation. Which is why it always bothers me when G2 gets ignored simply because it lacks a cartoon.

I would like to say I agree but feel uncertain.  I really loved the first two G1 specials, but I agree there wasn't much characterization for most of the ponies and it's funny how many of them aren't even named in the first one but we all know who they were now.  As a newbie, Cotton Candy, Bubbles and Moondancer were a mystery to me.  I only learned about them later on their backcards.  It didn't matter by the 2nd special because I was already into ponies.  I think I just enjoyed seeing colorful ponies having adventures and they all seemed pretty interchangeable to me. 

I did not love any of the other cartoons while growing up.  I found their "characterizations" and animation annoying. The show might had been good for drawing new kids in and making them aware of ponies.  But for the ones already hooked, I don't think the shows were important. 

Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #2183 on: March 25, 2021, 10:55:39 AM »
I grew up in the 80s and had ponies as a kid but never knew there was a G1 TV show until I joined the Arena. I had seen RAMC as a kid but that was it. As far as backcards, I didn't pay attention to them, I guess? I named my ponies whatever I wanted to and made up their personalities myself. Granted, I didn't have a lot of ponies and they weren't my favorite toy line, but I still definitely *knew* My Little Pony without the movies and cartoon.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline SpacePinto

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2184 on: March 25, 2021, 11:01:32 AM »

I'm not sure. I think a lot more people reference/are sympathetic to the G1 animation when it comes to discussions, and certainly privelege the characterisation from those over other things like backcards.

If only...
Inka Dinka Doo

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2185 on: March 25, 2021, 11:26:10 AM »

If only...

I think you're confusing what I mean, but I think that's probably my fault for how I phrased my posts.

I meant that in discussions about lore/story/character, the animation tends to be what people talk about more than other mediums like comics, backcards, storybooks, cassettes etc.

For me I'm the opposite. I don't like the characterisation of nearly every pony in the animated G1 series, as most of them have better/more distinct characters in the comic or on backcards. But it's a guarantee that more people are aware of the animation characters - which is fine, and why this is an unpopular opinion.

But I should have phrased it more clearly, as this is obviously a toy-centric forum where more people talk about the toys than the series overall.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2186 on: March 25, 2021, 01:31:03 PM »
What I miss is people being... allowed? to make up their OWN personalities for ponies. Like, it used to be that if you wanted to write a story where maybe one pony uses her cartoon personality, but another is more based on her backcard, or UK comic, or whatever, or just made up from wholecloth... no one would bat an eye. But nowadays, especially with G4/FiM, it's all "alternate universe" this and "headcanon" that, you know? I dunno if this makes sense, or if I'm wording it right, but I miss when it was just an understood thing, that everyone had their own idea/version of Ponyland.

A bit off-topic, maybe, but it's what the convo reminded me of.

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2187 on: March 25, 2021, 02:24:08 PM »
What I miss is people being... allowed? to make up their OWN personalities for ponies. Like, it used to be that if you wanted to write a story where maybe one pony uses her cartoon personality, but another is more based on her backcard, or UK comic, or whatever, or just made up from wholecloth... no one would bat an eye. But nowadays, especially with G4/FiM, it's all "alternate universe" this and "headcanon" that, you know? I dunno if this makes sense, or if I'm wording it right, but I miss when it was just an understood thing, that everyone had their own idea/version of Ponyland.

Me too
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2188 on: March 25, 2021, 04:02:30 PM »

I miss this too. I always loved that G1 had many canons and you could chop and change or ignore it completely.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Shaz

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2189 on: March 26, 2021, 02:50:59 AM »

YES. I have always loved inventing my own personalities and worlds for toys!
Honestly, my definitive canon for G1 isn't the cartoon, or the comics, or the backcards....it's the stories my girlfriend wrote about her ponies when she was little! If the media disagrees with Kitti's pony world, it must be wrong :lol: We've had a lot of fun expanding on her childhood pony world to include the ponies from my collection, and of course our other toy collections past and present. To be honest, I think the freedom to invent is what playing is all about, whether you're a child or just a child at heart!
I hope there are kids out there now ignoring FiM and inventing their own pony worlds :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal