collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Unpopular Pony Opinions  (Read 411632 times)

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Unpopular Pony Opinions
« Reply #2055 on: March 31, 2020, 10:24:21 AM »
I love factory curl :D
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2056 on: March 31, 2020, 10:54:34 AM »

Me too. :D I was just admiring the curls on my birthflower ponies earlier.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2057 on: March 31, 2020, 12:13:57 PM »
I greatly dislike the G4 comics by IDW as they have a lot of wonky, off-model art. That's the sole reason why I could never get into them.
I ADORED the first 12 I think? Then the art just annoyed me. I liked the plots of a lot of them but yeah, that statement's valid

I would rather have a so-so plot but amazing art than an amazing plot and so-so art. I used to buy a lot of Franco-Belgian stuff when I was a teenager and a lot of it had clicheed plots or characters but the art was always top notch.

I think the FiM ponies are hard to translate into other art styles. You have to keep them sleek and stylized, imo. Their muzzles are espeially tough for some artists because they are so miniscule, some renditions make them look like anime human faces and that's just creepy :|

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2058 on: April 01, 2020, 06:37:51 AM »
[quote author=LadyAmalthea link=topic=385476.msg1809558#msg1809558

I don't care much for pre-styled hair either. My Basic Funs have twisty hair and I straighten them too. I like running my fingers through hair.

It looks pretty when other people curl their hair, but really that is partially how they're meant to be played with.
THIS!!! SO MUCH!!! Make hair styleable & manageable, so the kids (& us) can style it how we like please!!! In my Ponyworld every Pony gets a braided tail & a nice ribbon at the end of that braid. It may not be original, but it's a good quality satin or metallic ribbon wi a colour complementing the Pony. I also love to style the manes of Ponies wi long hair. You give us toys wi hair, we're going to groom & style it!!!

Yes, I like to run my fingers through it as well, and smooth their manes down, it is a comforting thing, I guess. I have tried curling hair by wrapping it around a crayon and binding it up with paper towels,  but I can't get it to look as good as others' pics I see online.

I braided all my childhood ponies' hair probably a decade ago after my stepkids outgrew them and I was putting them into storage for a while, in hopes of preserving their hair. I fastened the braids with those little rubber ties (usually clear to look invisible, but these ones were neon colored). When I recovered them, the bands were dry-rotted, but the braids were still in! The ponies had survived a basement flood, so maybe the braids saved their hair, I don't know! They were still in a lot worse of shape than I remembered leaving them; the ends of the braids were now frizzed. Most cleaned up all right, but I like your idea of getting them ribbons for their hair, maybe once we're cleared to shop again, I'll hit the craft store and buy some!  :biggrin:

Post Merge: April 01, 2020, 06:49:02 AM

One pony I will never change from her factory curl is my Lickety Split. Her curly hair was part of the storyline my sister and I made up for her. She was the Perm Shoppe's #1 customer. Our original Lickety was lost in a flood, but I found another on Ebay (in what was supposed to be a bait lot!) not only with original curls, but still pink even!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 06:49:02 AM by LadyAmalthea »

Offline freezestime

• Forever and Always the Prom Queen
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2059 on: April 01, 2020, 07:12:19 AM »
I don't get what all the hubbub about flutters are.
Freezestime's Masterlist! https://bit.ly/3x1te5n
Dedicated G2 thread! https://bit.ly/3vIIJhL
Dedicated G2 V2.0 thread! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,403447.msg1880080/topicseen.html#new
Forgotten Toy lines! [urlhttps://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=395090.150[/url]

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #2060 on: April 01, 2020, 07:40:16 AM »
An unpopular opinion I have is that I don't like ponies (or any toys, really) with factory-curled hair. Whoever thought it was a good idea to curl pony or doll hair and then give it to an unruly child....smh.  :shrug:

I have been about 50/50 on recurling my ponies' hair when restoring them. Some I am unsure if they actually came with curly hair or not, like Baby Surprise/Firefly, because I never see any that have it now, and their manes aren't very long, so I've just been styling them straight.

I recently bought my son a set of Mane Six brushables (mostly to steer him away from my G1s that I don't want him to destroy), and the curly haired ones are already trashed. I haven't given him Pinkie Pie yet, because I was going to try to wash and straighten her hair first in hopes of saving it; it's like they came with this factory glue(wax?) in their hair to make it look nice in the package, but man, it wreaks havoc the minute a child tries to play with it. Like, were these not meant to actually be played with?  :crazy:

As a collector I love having pre-styled toys on display but also it leads to me being very picky about the condition of certain toys when buying secondhand. If a pony's lost its factory curl, fine. But I collect some doll lines where styled hair is very common, like the Shopkins Shoppies line. Because almost all of them have styled hair, I only buy them either in box or from fellow adult collectors so their hair is still in good shape. Because if they've been played with by children (which are of course the target demographic) they're going to have really messy hair that I wouldn't be able to re-style correctly.

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2061 on: April 01, 2020, 07:48:10 AM »
I don't like the detatchable wings on the Magic Wing Ponies. The idea is so lazy and tacky. Either give them proper moulded wings, or don't give them any at all.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2062 on: April 01, 2020, 10:26:31 AM »

I'm the opposite, I love the Flutter wings and if I had to choose, I'd say I'd rather have flutters with wings than the wingers (as much as I think they're lovely). But I love them most in their box where they are untouched, because they display so well like that. So maybe I like the flutters best not fluttering?

In any case I was glad that they decided not to try and strengthen the wings to make repros (a very unpopular decision) because for me the magic of the flutters is their ephemeral delicacy.

I also like the 2nd set better than the first set though.

I think this all relates back to an early pony memory of mine as a five year old going to choose a pony with the wall of flutter ponies in Carrefour that I ultimately chose Tropical Breeze from. It's probably my earliest choosing a pony myself memory, so them in boxes with UK artwork is super nostalgic for me.

On another unpopular note - people wax lyrical about the US packaging, but I think the UK packaging for 1986 and 1987 is the prettiest pony package art ever done. Not just because of the ponies but the whole concept.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 10:28:17 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2063 on: April 01, 2020, 10:58:58 AM »

I'm the opposite, I love the Flutter wings and if I had to choose, I'd say I'd rather have flutters with wings than the wingers (as much as I think they're lovely). But I love them most in their box where they are untouched, because they display so well like that. So maybe I like the flutters best not fluttering?

In any case I was glad that they decided not to try and strengthen the wings to make repros (a very unpopular decision) because for me the magic of the flutters is their ephemeral delicacy.

I think this all relates back to an early pony memory of mine as a five year old going to choose a pony with the wall of flutter ponies in Carrefour that I ultimately chose Tropical Breeze from. It's probably my earliest choosing a pony myself memory, so them in boxes with UK artwork is super nostalgic for me.

On another unpopular note - people wax lyrical about the US packaging, but I think the UK packaging for 1986 and 1987 is the prettiest pony package art ever done. Not just because of the ponies but the whole concept.
UK art is one of the reasons I want the UK leaflet wi the Mountain Boys in it so much!!! I have all the UK ones before that & a couple from just after, but not that one!!!
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Offline Safflower

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2064 on: April 01, 2020, 11:03:34 AM »
I don't care if a pony has marker under their hooves. You can't see it from display.

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2065 on: April 01, 2020, 11:49:08 AM »

I love the Movie Star backcard art. :lovey:

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2066 on: April 01, 2020, 11:59:19 AM »

UK art is one of the reasons I want the UK leaflet wi the Mountain Boys in it so much!!! I have all the UK ones before that & a couple from just after, but not that one!!!

The 1987 insert is harder to come by than some of the others, I think it was in print less time than the one before and the Strawberry Fair one that came right after and lasted for all of 1988. It's also hard to find UK packaging from 1987 compared with some other years, although there are some MOC examples. The TE ponies, for example - and Megan and Sundance. Which is a shame because they're so pretty. <3.

I also really love the Princess Pony boxes.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline RLisa

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2067 on: April 01, 2020, 01:02:27 PM »
I'm not that fond of the sea ponies, the pose is a bit stiff looking imo. The fancy mermaids look super cute though

Offline freezestime

• Forever and Always the Prom Queen
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2068 on: April 01, 2020, 10:05:06 PM »
I'm not that fond of the sea ponies, the pose is a bit stiff looking imo. The fancy mermaids look super cute though

Same here!
Freezestime's Masterlist! https://bit.ly/3x1te5n
Dedicated G2 thread! https://bit.ly/3vIIJhL
Dedicated G2 V2.0 thread! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,403447.msg1880080/topicseen.html#new
Forgotten Toy lines! [urlhttps://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=395090.150[/url]

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2069 on: April 02, 2020, 12:32:45 AM »

The 1987 insert is harder to come by than some of the others, I think it was in print less time than the one before and the Strawberry Fair one that came right after and lasted for all of 1988. It's also hard to find UK packaging from 1987 compared with some other years, although there are some MOC examples. The TE ponies, for example - and Megan and Sundance. Which is a shame because they're so pretty. <3.

I also really love the Princess Pony boxes.

Tell me about it!!! I'm getting to the point I'd actually PAY for scans!!! Same wi Twisty Tail's UK backcard, back AND front scans!!!
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal