collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Unpopular Pony Opinions  (Read 411157 times)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: Unpopular Pony Opinions
« Reply #2010 on: March 18, 2020, 11:06:50 AM »
I don't get the big deal over Lady Bird and Lambaditsa. They're okay.

Agreed. Sitting ponies are meh, Peachy is meh, Sitting pony plus peachy = meh squared.

Though I feel superficially smug that people still use the name ladybird after all these years

Okay that last part had me   :biggrin:
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2011 on: March 18, 2020, 05:29:16 PM »
I don't get the big deal over Lady Bird and Lambaditsa. They're okay.

Agreed. Sitting ponies are meh, Peachy is meh, Sitting pony plus peachy = meh squared.

Though I feel superficially smug that people still use the name ladybird after all these years
I'm pretty fond of my Lambaditsa tbh. If only she & Ladybird weren't nearly twins though... (I also like the name Ladybird xxx)
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2012 on: March 18, 2020, 07:56:14 PM »
I’m not into the mint package. I prefer to hold the pony and take pictures of her.

Agreed, and for this reason I would never buy a vintage MIB pony!  I'd be way too tempted to take her out, which would probably horrify some collectors.
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2013 on: March 18, 2020, 07:59:52 PM »
I’m not into the mint package. I prefer to hold the pony and take pictures of her.

Agreed, and for this reason I would never buy a vintage MIB pony!  I'd be way too tempted to take her out, which would probably horrify some collectors.
Only Pony I want MIP is Twisty Tail (UK preferred but Euro acceptable). Otherwise generally nope
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Offline Tropical_Sunset

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #2014 on: March 19, 2020, 09:00:11 AM »

I vastly prefer loose ponies over MIB ones, though I appreciate MIB collectors and MIB items. A MIB Merry Go Round pony came into my possession once. I loved her. I love MGR ponies in general and dont see them come up for sale often. I didn't have her in my collection yet and toyed with deboxing her for about a year before deciding against it and selling her here MIB. Anyway, I still don't have her in my collection. :/

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2015 on: March 19, 2020, 09:31:06 AM »

I vastly prefer loose ponies over MIB ones, though I appreciate MIB collectors and MIB items. A MIB Merry Go Round pony came into my possession once. I loved her. I love MGR ponies in general and dont see them come up for sale often. I didn't have her in my collection yet and toyed with deboxing her for about a year before deciding against it and selling her here MIB. Anyway, I still don't have her in my collection. :/

Merry Go Rounds are gorgeous! Too bad Hasbro is too cheap and lazy to do it again these days.

Could you have imagined MGR G3s?! :frolic:
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline caseysealia

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2016 on: March 19, 2020, 10:02:49 AM »

Merry Go Rounds are gorgeous! Too bad Hasbro is too cheap and lazy to do it again these days.

Merry Go Rounds are among my favorites! I'd die if they had made them for g3

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #2017 on: March 19, 2020, 02:16:18 PM »
Rehoming a MIB rather than deboxing it is one of the nicer things a collector can do imo. There's a home for every kind of pony, and if that home isn't yours, better to move it on.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2018 on: March 19, 2020, 04:42:27 PM »

Ooooo, G3 MGRs would be awesome!  I wonder if anyone ever made a custom like that? I don't remember seeing any but that doesn't mean they don't exist!
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2019 on: March 20, 2020, 08:33:50 AM »
My unpopular opinions mostly can be shared with many others on here (I actually read through this entire post prior to having my account approved! It took me days)...but the one I haven't seen mentioned yet is this one: I hate almost all of the names of the second round of G1 twins that were released. Seriously, some of them are SO stupid.

Jabber and Jebber: these are not even words, much less names. What the heck is a 'Jebber'?

Sniffles and Sticky: First of all, did it not occur to the person who came up with these to look up what the previously released twins were called? Because if they even bothered, they would have discovered that there was already another twin named Sniffles, paired with Snookums. That in itself is an unpopular opinion of mine, the recycling of names. It's confusing. That aside, 'Sniffles and Sticky' is just a revolting name combination; it reminds me of a little kid with a cold wiping snot everywhere. Good job, Hasbro.  >_<

Speckles and Bunkie: What on earth is a 'Bunkie', and how does it coordinate with 'Speckles'? They could have come up with something better than that. How about 'Speckles and Spots' or 'Speckles and Freckles'

Big Top and Toppy: Kind of redundant, if you ask me. It reminds me of a real-life set of twins I know named Kayla and Mikayla. Like one could be a nickname for the other...it's always struck me as weird. Also redundant are Big Top's colors; she is basically the same as Rattles and Tattles. In fact, I don't even feel the need to collect this set.

Puddles and Peeks: Not the worst, but the name Peeks is a little dumb and they could have come up with something equally as catchy with Puddles. And what is with the crapping bird symbol on their rump? My sister and I always called them Puddles and Poops, like #1 and #2. Our storyline was that they had troubles with potty training.  :lol:

Sandcastle and Shovels: This one is actually not so bad. Plus I like their color combinations; I feel like they didn't use enough color variations with twins...all pastels and mostly boring. The orange and blue is at least different, even if still pastel. Too bad this set is so hard to find and expensive; they must not have released as many sets of them.

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #2020 on: March 20, 2020, 09:57:32 AM »
We only had 3 of the six sets, but those we did have had different names in the UK. Albeit whether they are any better...
Jabber and Jebber = Tickles & Giggles
Speckles & Bunkie = Fleecy and Fluffy
Sticky and Sniffles = Tuggles and Toddles.

On the name subject...I think it's sad more UK people don't use the UK G1 names, even though the UK had far less name repetition than the US. I can understand why for people who came into G1 as adults, but not so much the ones who grew up with G1 as kids.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #2021 on: March 20, 2020, 12:11:11 PM »
In my opinion Jebber could have been named "Jibber" so that set of twins could have made the phrase "Jibber-Jabber" (meaning talking so fast, you don't understand - though I may have also heard it to mean "talking nonsense".)  I also googled "Bunkie" and the only thing I found (though I didn't search for long) was that it could be slang for a bunk mate - nothing to do with Speckles whatsoever as far as I can see, and when I search for both words, I just get the ponies.  I even tried searching "Safety Pin" (as in their symbols) with each name to see if I could find significance, but no.

But yeah... the names you mentioned in general aren't the best, in my opinion either.

On the name subject...I think it's sad more UK people don't use the UK G1 names, even though the UK had far less name repetition than the US. I can understand why for people who came into G1 as adults, but not so much the ones who grew up with G1 as kids.
I'm not sure why the ones who grew up with it don't do this, as you'd think they'd be the first to do this...

For me, (I came in as an adult) I tend to lean to the US names, because that's what I discovered them as, but I may choose the names I prefer out of the two for my project, or even compromise, like I planned to do for the canon names and the brony names in G4 (though if I recall correctly, only two G4 ponies really kept my "compromises" - and Hasbro compromised with "Lyra/Heartstrings" the same way I was going to anyway.)

I'll have a look through what the US/UK names in G1 are, and see which I like better, or if there are anyways to use both if I choose to in writing - for example, Sweet Stuff was called Sweetie in UK, but that's an easy one to compromise, as "Sweetie" could easily be Sweet Stuff's nickname anyway.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 07:21:30 AM by MJNSEIFER »
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2022 on: March 20, 2020, 12:23:20 PM »
The pony name that always gets me is Woosie. :lol:  I always picture a drunk or sick pony. Sometimes I think Hasbro came up with some of the pony names at the company cocktail party.

I grew up in the US so I didn't know the UK had different names for ponies until I joined the Arena but I try to use both names if I know them like Princess Tiffany/Pearl Sguarberry/Strawberry Fair etc..

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline caseysealia

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2023 on: March 20, 2020, 12:24:23 PM »

Ooooo, G3 MGRs would be awesome!  I wonder if anyone ever made a custom like that? I don't remember seeing any but that doesn't mean they don't exist!
I'm fairly certain I've seen customs like that in the past, but its been a long while!
Edit: found them! https://www.deviantart.com/woosie/art/Merry-Go-Round-ponies-Set-2-203225055
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 12:26:08 PM by caseysealia »

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2024 on: March 20, 2020, 12:30:40 PM »
I think "Bunkie" refers to Bunkie beds/boards used in baby beds.  In the 80s the term was used more often in the US.  At least, where I lived it was common.  I think the name is cute.

I did hate when Hasbro reused names.  Baby Gusty got robbed.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal