collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Unpopular Pony Opinions  (Read 411006 times)

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
Re: Unpopular Pony Opinions
« Reply #1605 on: May 02, 2019, 08:47:41 AM »
I think it's alright for people to spend those prices on Rapunzel, some Nirvanas, etc as long as they go about it in a smart way. Like if they really like the pony in question and legitimately like them for their design or whatever (as opposed to just wanting a pony because it's rare and/or sought after which I agree is silly), then I don't really see a problem in them saving up for that pony as long as it's money they would have spent on ponies or other similar hobbies anyway, like if they save up for one pricey pony they want instead of spending the same amount on a lot of cheaper ponies. I think that's fine.

There are some more sought after ponies that are on my wishlist, but it's not because they're sought after, it's because I just genuinely love their designs, or at the very least love the gimmick of the set they're in and wish to complete the set. Like, I adore Mimic's color scheme and really want to save for her someday when I'm able to. I think she's a really pretty pony and I just love her colors, don't really want her for being sought after. I just like her. Same goes for the more pricey of the Pony Friends (Pony Friends is my absolute favorite set, I want them all), and the more pricey So Softs (another set I really like, want to complete them as well). I just like these ponies' designs, gimmicks, etc. If Rapunzel wasn't so crazy high I'd maybe go after her but over $800 at the moment sounds like waaaay too much for me to have the patience to save for, as much as I do love ponies with long hair.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #1606 on: May 02, 2019, 08:51:33 AM »
I’ve had Oakley for years and only recently learned she was especially valuable. XD I bought her in a huge lot that also included Cuteasaurus, so I guess I got her for a steal... Both are minty, too. :blink:

As for Mimic... I don’t have her, but she is high on my wishlist because I genuinely like her. There was an entire episode of the original cartoon series based around her (which I think contributes to her popularity), and I really love the parrot theme and colors. I don’t have a problem paying that much for a vintage toy—I’ve certainly paid much more for Pullips and SDCC/LE toys of various types. However, I can’t fathom people who would shell out huge amounts for a pony they don’t even really like. :/ Completionism I get, but MLPs as status symbols? :blink: Seems a bit silly to me.

Ah well. There are people who will pay $10,000 for a designer handbag, so... I guess rare MLPs are like a “niche” status symbol, lol.
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1607 on: May 02, 2019, 09:01:02 AM »
I rather do myself a custom of Mimic as to not pay the ridiculous prices people are asking for her, the same goes for the Mountain Boy Ponies.

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #1608 on: May 02, 2019, 09:07:22 AM »
I don't quite get Sweet Scoops's appeal. I do like a lot of the MO ponies that fetch higher prices, but she's one I'll just skip unless I thrift find her or get really into completion. What with student loans in the upcoming years, I doubt I'll even be able to afford her.  :P

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Sky_Rocket_Sammie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • "Rules of the road Sammy"-Dean Winchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1609 on: May 02, 2019, 09:08:49 AM »
I only want Mimic because I had the chance to buy her. When I was a kid and had the “you can only pick one” Which has driven most of my collecting. Recreating my childhood herd and the ones that got away.

Clickbait articles that play to “if you have/find this toy
you will or could be rich” it gives folks the wrong impression and annoys me.

Avi by Gizmo & Sig by Moonbreeze

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #1610 on: May 02, 2019, 09:13:16 AM »
I don't quite get Sweet Scoops's appeal. I do like a lot of the MO ponies that fetch higher prices, but she's one I'll just skip unless I thrift find her or get really into completion. What with student loans in the upcoming years, I doubt I'll even be able to afford her.  :P

Yeah, Sweet Scoop's design doesn't feel very interesting to me? I'd get her if I somehow found her in the wild or someone for some reason offered her to me for cheap but she's not one I ever plan on seeking out. She looks too similar to Sherbet who I already have.

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #1611 on: May 02, 2019, 09:16:45 AM »
Wow, didn't expect to open such a debate!

I also had Mimic before I knew anything about pony rarity. She was my first trade from the US and the trader just sent ger to me in advance of her coming to visit family here...we did a big in person trade but she must have trusted me o.o.

I say it has ruined her because now, as this thread demonstrates, people who genuinely like her end up having to justify it :/.

As for saving up, I guess so. But I saved up for my postgrad education and if I saved up that kind of amount I would rather spend it on going back to Japan or something. I could never look at a pony in my collection and be happy knowing I spent insane money on her.

Crumpet is the only SS I don't have. When sister and I started trading we were kids trading carboot finds for YS ponies and we split sets between us. I really like Crumpet but she is on naynie's list. So I will never have her because she is too much money to me now.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #1612 on: May 02, 2019, 09:50:13 AM »
As far as financial responsibility, to me, there's no difference in spending $200 for 1 pony (saving $3.80 a week for a year) and $10 each for 20 ponies (spread through out a year).

To my frugal mind, that's still $200 spent on a hobby.

I say that because I've always looked at pony collections as a whole -- rather then focus on individual prices.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 09:52:00 AM by banditpony »

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1613 on: May 02, 2019, 10:40:54 AM »
I don't fault anyone who wants/owns a sought after pony as long as they genuinely want/love the pony for the joy of owning them and not just as a status symbol.

When I first got in to MLP as an adult I was disappointed to learn that the only SS I was really wanted to add to my collection was one of the most sought after and had a higher price tag than the others. I wanted a SS Twilight to replace the one pony that I was never allowed to bring home from my grandma's  house. My childhood Twilight disappeared from my grandparents home at one point (I'm pretty sure my aunt threw her away not realizing she belonged to me) I was finally able to replace her so SS Twilight is special to me.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline glitterball

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Be kind and sparkly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1614 on: May 02, 2019, 02:30:56 PM »

Ditto!

Certain ponies just don't do it for me, others do.

So ponies like Honeycomb, who is quite easy to get here in the UK (although getting more pricey) I just love and will place an opportunistic low bid here and there (and win!).
Then there is  the much more expensive Nightglider - oh, what a beautiful design - I just had to have her in my collection, not for status but because she is so pretty! Same for greeny Buttons, such lovely colours, but eek her price is getting more crazy too.
Mimic - who intrigued me with her unusual body colour - I ended up customising a very baity Majesty into one, and that satisfies me  :P nope, not shelling out over £100 for a "real" Mimic  :cool:

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #1615 on: May 02, 2019, 05:31:16 PM »

Ditto!

Certain ponies just don't do it for me, others do.

So ponies like Honeycomb, who is quite easy to get here in the UK (although getting more pricey) I just love and will place an opportunistic low bid here and there (and win!).
Then there is  the much more expensive Nightglider - oh, what a beautiful design - I just had to have her in my collection, not for status but because she is so pretty! Same for greeny Buttons, such lovely colours, but eek her price is getting more crazy too.
Mimic - who intrigued me with her unusual body colour - I ended up customising a very baity Majesty into one, and that satisfies me  :P nope, not shelling out over £100 for a "real" Mimic  :cool:

I think both of these comments epitomise for me the best way to collect.

Although I love Sweet Scoops. And I was very lucky in that I bought mine with her charm for a great price from a good friend who held her for me for ages and did me a deal. But I love how her symbol reminds me of a scratch and sniff book I had as a kid, but she's not scented.

And you know, I really don't like Sundae Bests. They're super common - when ponies showed up at boot sales I used to have so many doubles I'd end up sending them as freebie stowaways to people xD and Sorbet Surprise/Sherbet is the least offensive scentwise of that set, but they all look odd and deformed to me. If they were super rare and expensive I'd pretend they didn't exist. I kind of do that with MO Sprinkles. I don't care enough about her to pay more than $10 for her xD.

...I have found Mimic at a carboot sale in the UK. I feel like if I can fluke find her in a country she wasn't sold, she can't be that rare overall. So my opinion of her rarity/price has been severely coloured by that xD. I think I've had 3 Mimics overall over the years, cos I know I had one in an ebay lot as well turn up once. I've found more Mimics in the wild in the UK than Medley or Powder...who I've never seen here, and yet US people write them off as $5 ponies.

I'm a completionist, but I won't pay over the odds to complete a set. I maybe benefitted from carboot ponies when I started out, so didn't have to pick and choose - but I know if I was starting now I would be more picky and only shell out on ponies I like. And then not stupid money. I really want baby sugarcake, but I couldn't live with spending $300-$500 on any pony.

I think Mimic is love/hate because she's unusual. I really love unusual colour ponies. The pink ones in sets have to have a really nice mix of colours to attract me, or some character thing. So I guess this is my new unpopular opinion. Rare and unusual colour schemes or striking colour schemes hold more appeal for me than the bland pinks that Hasbro seem to think kids want :)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 05:36:27 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Khoufu

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
« Reply #1616 on: May 03, 2019, 01:06:24 PM »
If a pony is out of my price range ($20-30 max usually) then I won't even consider wanting them usually. Cutesaurus is the exception but only for a great deal. The only reason I wouls want Mimic is for my friend who loves parrots.
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #1617 on: May 03, 2019, 09:16:12 PM »
Unpopular opinion: I really loved having human characters in G1 My Little Pony. I’ve always wished that later generations had incorporated Megan/Molly/Danny characters of some kind.
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline SpacePinto

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1618 on: May 04, 2019, 01:48:24 AM »
Unpopular opinion: I really loved having human characters in G1 My Little Pony. I’ve always wished that later generations had incorporated Megan/Molly/Danny characters of some kind.
I actually loved it too, I always found it cute how they would give them rides on their backs and all!
Inka Dinka Doo

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1619 on: May 04, 2019, 02:33:59 AM »

I loved this concept as a kid because I was often daydreaming about being a Chosen One, getting transported into a fantasy world and getting to be part of the action. Neverending Story was my favorite childhood book.

Human characters can work when done right. Sadly, people seem to be very against the idea of humans in MLP these days. I don't know... I could live without them. Especially when done in the EqG style (creepy proportions and the pastel colors make no sense). But if they brought in another (or a few) regular kids who enter the pony world for a while it could be interesting! It would make the pony world even more magical, like a different dimension.

I am ready to let Equestria Girls go. I guess they won't abandon the concept altogether but I just don't like how EqG is always tied to MLP yet is so mundane and bland. The ponies can have an adventure in a faraway land - the girls go on a school trip. I wish Hasbro would separate the franchises and just make a Magical Girl line that isn't supposed to be MLP in human costume.
They could just keep all the character tropes and color coding. Magical Girls are not exactly hard to sell.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 02:36:23 AM by Zapper »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal