collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Unpopular Pony Opinions  (Read 411188 times)

Offline Water Lily

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
  • Hi Everypony!
    • View Profile
Re: Unpopular Pony Opinions
« Reply #1590 on: April 30, 2019, 04:47:55 PM »
I don't like the collectors Ponies or the original ponies so to say I mean yeah they're not bad and of course they are the original but they're not really that great they lack originality and uniqueness
I have to agree on Rapunzel Pony I don't see what the big deal is unless she was just limited number or something otherwise she's plain and there's really nothing that speaks to me about her
I love G3 not g 3.5 G3 the ponies look like ponies but yet they still have a creativeness to them Victoria were exceptional and there were a lot of different cronies and types of ponies to choose from
I don't like the G1 plush ponies they are creepy looking
You can never go wrong with being kind. :good:

Offline Shadowperla

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Secret Surprise Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: April 30, 2019, 07:30:25 PM »
G2 will be perfect if not for hooves. All of the faces are cute! And I like how boy and girl are not separated unless by history.

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: May 01, 2019, 03:58:10 AM »
Speaking of Rapunzel... How DID she become so expensive? Is there a story behind it?

Anyway... I love the G4 “All About” line with the murals printed on the display side. They’re some of the most original toys G4 has produced, IMO. I remember the majority of people I saw talking about them when they first showed up were pretty “meh” about the whole thing, though (probably in part because of the new 4.5 molds). Ah well, more for me! XD
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #1593 on: May 01, 2019, 05:07:31 AM »
Speaking of Rapunzel... How DID she become so expensive? Is there a story behind it?

I put this down to fandom status seeking. Somehow, rather like Mimic, she became a "must have" pony in the minds of people, thus the price escalated.

When I first came online though she was already expensive. I think in the late 1990s she sold around $150-200. Mine, I know, cost the original person who had her $80, but she's damaged, she's lost most of the length of her tail. I received her in a trade for some rare UK stuff which, at the time, sold for as much or more as Rapunzel, but at some point after that she rocketed whereas the other prices stabilised.

So like Mimic, her price has been a problem for a long time. But something happened at some point between to make it escalate so much. And I can only put it down to a few collectors being obsessed with getting her and thus bidding her up and up until that became the benchmark.

It's ridiculous really. She's fine, but she's not that thrilling. Of course, I would LOVE to have one with all the flowing locks in the tail as that's her chief crowning feature. But given that even with that flaw I wouldn't be able to afford her today, I'm just going to stick with the one I have and be glad of it. I much much much prefer Sweet Scoops, she's a lot classier - and I think, rarer - but Rapunzel is the fad favourite, so up and up her price goes...

On this note, to add an unpopular opinion - I think spending ridiculous amounts of money on ponies is ridiculous. Especially when you get into thousands. No piece of plastic to me is worth the same as a month's rent.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 05:09:02 AM by Taffeta »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: May 01, 2019, 05:35:25 AM »
The Spring themed holiday ponies, with a couple exceptions, are my least favorite of the G3 Holiday ponies.

The Spring Basket playset ponies are cute, but most of them don't really invoke springtime to me.

I don't like the white versions or alt-versions of the G1 Birthflowers.

I think half of the Peek-a-boo set is boring and kinda awful.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline SpacePinto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: May 01, 2019, 05:37:51 AM »
On this note, to add an unpopular opinion - I think spending ridiculous amounts of money on ponies is ridiculous. Especially when you get into thousands. No piece of plastic to me is worth the same as a month's rent.
Money is relative, if someone is a professional web developer without a family to support, spending four figure amounts on something they truly enjoy is not such a big deal.
Inka Dinka Doo

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: May 01, 2019, 05:38:58 AM »
I only like 4 1/2 of the G3 Birthstones, December, August, May and June. I'd like April more, if her symbol didn't look like a giant eyeball. July Jubilee should have been more summery. An oddity considering they have a slew of amazing summertime ponies made. February was dull and disappointing, which I suppose at least matches my birth month. But again, they had some amazing Valentine ponies.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 05:45:53 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: May 01, 2019, 06:37:55 AM »

I put this down to fandom status seeking. Somehow, rather like Mimic, she became a "must have" pony in the minds of people, thus the price escalated.

When I first came online though she was already expensive. I think in the late 1990s she sold around $150-200. Mine, I know, cost the original person who had her $80, but she's damaged, she's lost most of the length of her tail. I received her in a trade for some rare UK stuff which, at the time, sold for as much or more as Rapunzel, but at some point after that she rocketed whereas the other prices stabilised.

So like Mimic, her price has been a problem for a long time. But something happened at some point between to make it escalate so much. And I can only put it down to a few collectors being obsessed with getting her and thus bidding her up and up until that became the benchmark.

It's ridiculous really. She's fine, but she's not that thrilling. Of course, I would LOVE to have one with all the flowing locks in the tail as that's her chief crowning feature. But given that even with that flaw I wouldn't be able to afford her today, I'm just going to stick with the one I have and be glad of it. I much much much prefer Sweet Scoops, she's a lot classier - and I think, rarer - but Rapunzel is the fad favourite, so up and up her price goes...

I totally agree about Rapunzel. I wouldn't mind having her in my pony herd but I know I will never be able to afford her asking price and can't bring myself to spend that kind of money on a pony.  It's the same reason that I'll probably never be able to replace the two childhood Petite Ponies because I can't bring myself to pay $40-$50 for a pony that's the size of a quarter.

I think Glittering Gem is prettier than Rapuznel even with the jewel in her forehead which I'm usually not a fan of. I think Sweet Scoops is rarer than Rapunzel.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: May 01, 2019, 07:59:06 AM »
Rapunzel is pretty... But to me, she seems like a less-pretty version of Goldilocks. I guess that’s the popularity of the traditional G1 body style vs. the SHS style, though. :shrug: Now there’s an unpopular pony opinion, lol! XD

On that note... Is collector preference the only thing that really sets Rapunzel apart from, say, Goldilocks? They were both fairy tale themed mail order ponies. I had always assumed Rapunzel must have had a super-limited release to warrant the prices she commands.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 08:07:10 AM by Nemesis »
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline Khoufu

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: May 01, 2019, 09:26:15 AM »
G2 will be perfect if not for hooves. All of the faces are cute! And I like how boy and girl are not separated unless by history.
Despite their lack of poses or variety of interesting gimmicks, I agree. G2 was the cutest in general, imo.

Also, idk if unpopular or just not talked about, but I see G2 as teenagers while G1 adults are in their 30s and G3 adults are in their 20s.
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1600 on: May 01, 2019, 01:25:15 PM »
Money is relative, if someone is a professional web developer without a family to support, spending four figure amounts on something they truly enjoy is not such a big deal.
I guess on that note, it also means that the seller got a lot of money to pay the rent/other bills with.  I think if one person has so much money to spare, its probably better for everyone to spend it rather than hoard it.  On the other hand, humanity is incredibly inefficient at doing anything that actually promotes the greater good.  No matter how we look at it, it's ultimately frustrating.

I think G2s are cute but I would have loved their faces to be more defined like Sweetheart sisters. 
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: May 02, 2019, 01:57:07 AM »

I guess on that note, it also means that the seller got a lot of money to pay the rent/other bills with.  I think if one person has so much money to spare, its probably better for everyone to spend it rather than hoard it.  On the other hand, humanity is incredibly inefficient at doing anything that actually promotes the greater good.  No matter how we look at it, it's ultimately frustrating.

I still maintain that the price is ridiculous. Yeah, you can argue that people can spend their money how they like, and they can, and that's fine. But it's my personal opinion - as a thirty plus year collector of MLP, on and off - that it's ridiculous. Knowing the value of money is an important life skill. Being rich doesn't for me excuse ignoring that - in the world we live in, unfortunately, nothing is for certain.

Besides, a lot of people spend silly money on ponies as 'an investment' and then insist on reselling the ponies for equally silly money to 'recoup their investment'. And ponies are toys, not investments. And then there's the other thing - the expectation of that money and the 'payment plan' situation which is asking for trouble because it encourages people who don't have enough money to put themselves in debt to someone else.

All of that ruins MLP for me.

And as a feed on from that - I also hate when people decide to buy ponies because they're 'rare and sought after' rather than just buying the ones they like most. I remember some years back someone gave advice to a new collector that they should focus on Mimic and Crumpet and others because they're 'sought after'...I hate that. Pick and collect the ponies you like, not the ponies that will impress other people if you own them.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ragamuffin

• View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #1602 on: May 02, 2019, 07:11:40 AM »
I have a similar opinion, that I'm not into collecting for the sake of completeness. There are sets that I like and would like to own all the ponies in that set (Twinkle Eyes and Rainbow Curls for example), but if I want, say, Tabby, I don't feel obligated to buy Tossles or Romper.

There are collectors out there that think bigger is better and are willing to spend the money on any pony they don't already have, buying absolutely everything regardless or the quality or if they like the character, but I only collect what I like. I'll pass up a pony I don't have any strong opinion on and I rarely regret it.

Post Merge: May 02, 2019, 07:17:48 AM

And as a feed on from that - I also hate when people decide to buy ponies because they're 'rare and sought after' rather than just buying the ones they like most. I remember some years back someone gave advice to a new collector that they should focus on Mimic and Crumpet and others because they're 'sought after'...I hate that. Pick and collect the ponies you like, not the ponies that will impress other people if you own them.

I just read this, yeah! To be fair I like Mimic, Oakley, most Mountain Boys, G4 Star Swirl, whoever. There are a lot of rare ponies I do like. But Crumpet is very plain (though I guess she's yellow, huh), Rapunzel is Golidlocks 2.0, a lot of Greek ponies I've seen for sale... there's probably a lot of "boring" rare ponies out there that I could list.

How many people have you seen buy Mimic/want to buy because of her rarity and turn around to say "I don't like her colours"? :silly:
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 07:17:48 AM by Ragamuffin »

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: May 02, 2019, 07:23:10 AM »
I am a g1 completionist and I won't deny it...but not at any cost. Which is why after 20 years I still don't have sugarcake. If I was collecting afresh now I would be more selective as now ponies are expensive.

Mimic is one of my favourites and I feel she is ruined by the people who buy her for status reasons.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: May 02, 2019, 07:43:38 AM »
I'm not a fan of Mimic so the only way I will ever own her is if I find her for a steal at a garage sale or something and even then I think I would trade/sell her to someone that would love her more than I would. 

I have also seen people who bragged about owning Mimic only to turn around and say something like "Well, I don't like her but I just had to have her because owning her means I'm a real collector."  I totally agree with everyone that said no one should get a pony just because they want to have the "honor" of owning a really sought after pony.

I have some of the MOs on my wishlist that I'd love to own but I'm pretty sure they will always remain out of my price range. 

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal