collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Unpopular Pony Opinions  (Read 411561 times)

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Re: Unpopular Pony Opinions
« Reply #1560 on: April 08, 2019, 07:45:31 AM »
Sunset, I have a soft spot for the Firefly pose, but I won't deny it has its flaws.

To be fair, Taffeta, that updated Firefly was made as a pack-in for a tape release of the cartoon pilot.

Yeah, that's true, but I never understood why she got so much of the focus when overall she played less of a part in the animation for MLP than did some of the later more standard characters. The thing is my annoyance for Firefly doesn't really come from RaMC, though. She's fine in that. It's the idiot things she used to do in the comic, getting herself into stupid situations by not thinking them through, and then having to be rescued - at least once by Medley, and once I think by Tootsie...probably with Majesty's help. Even as a kid I thought she was a nusiance ;)

Don't get me wrong, I still like the pony Firefly. But she's probably my least favourite in the set. They were never sold here, despite all the stories, but I would have loved Medley as a kid. I never wanted Firefly, and I'll never see RaMC as "Firefly's Adventure."

I don't really see Firefly as the star of RaMC either, just one of the ponies on the quest to defeat Tirek and resuce their friends. I do feel that the adult ponies intinally cpatured by Tirek were "shortchanged" in a sense as most of them only have 1 or 2 lines. :lol: (although they spent most of the RaMC as dragons)

Firefly's comic personaility reminds of the the book "Lost in the Clouds" where she and Medley got lost in the sky and Moondancer had to use her horn to guide them back home.

Ponyfan

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #1561 on: April 08, 2019, 08:17:21 AM »
The adventures that biased me against her forever were the eating of the contrary cake that led to lots of stress rescuing her...and when she got led astray by not following Medley's advice and ending up under the spell of some enchanted piper.

Medley in the latter story is probably the reason I love her so much. Poor, long-suffering, intelligent, talented, Medley. And her idiot friend.

...I had forgotten lost in the clouds, but yeah. That one is true to form as well.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: April 08, 2019, 08:26:38 AM »
Contrary Cake?
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: April 08, 2019, 08:35:07 AM »
Contrary Cake?

If I remember right, Firefly ate some cake she shouldn't eat, and it made her behave in the opposite way from how she should do things, and she ended up in contrary town doing the opposite of what she was told and getting given things that weren't the same as she asked for. And...I think it's Tootsie and others - had to break the spell and convince her to come home, even though she doesn't recognise them and doesn't want to go.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 08:37:42 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: April 08, 2019, 02:02:36 PM »
brightberry, I definitely think Firefly's original pose fits her cartoon characterization better. I think she was given the update mainly because her original pose doesn't seat the Megan doll very well.
I think it was more of a matter of convenience.  The new Firefly release didn't overlap with Megan & Sundance.  I remember them being over a year gone when the Firefly set was released. That's forever in kid years.  It's more likely that as the original Firefly pose hadn't been used in years, they went with a mold that was already prepped as it was cheaper. 
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: April 08, 2019, 03:41:29 PM »
Contrary Cake?

If I remember right, Firefly ate some cake she shouldn't eat, and it made her behave in the opposite way from how she should do things, and she ended up in contrary town doing the opposite of what she was told and getting given things that weren't the same as she asked for. And...I think it's Tootsie and others - had to break the spell and convince her to come home, even though she doesn't recognise them and doesn't want to go.

I'll have to find that comic story and read it. :)

On the subject of the VHS tape released with movie Firefly I know the cardboard sleeve called it "Firefly's Adventure" but it was still called My Little Pony on the actual cartoon included?

Fun fact, on Firefly's Adventure advertising Tirrac is spelled Tearak :lol:

Ponyfan
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 07:19:38 PM by Ponyfan »

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: April 08, 2019, 03:50:08 PM »
...Only a few steps away from Tea rack :)

@Ponyfan, LAW and I found it, it's in comic 47 and it's posted here.

http://www.ponylandpress.com/library/comics/
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #1567 on: April 09, 2019, 03:54:30 PM »

Is that like a spice rack for tea :lol: I must say I agree with you about Firefly.

I'm not sure if I've said this already but I'm not a set completer and if I only like one or two ponies in a set that's all I will have.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Khoufu

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: April 10, 2019, 10:27:51 AM »
I most be one of the only people with a soft spot for the Firefly/Medley pose.  But Medley was my first pony and I loved her.
Firefly was one of my first two G1s, and Medley was one of my sister's first, so I'm nostalgic for that pose as well. Same with Majesty/Glory and their pose.
Oh and I recently completed my US Firefly pose collection. Sprinkles wasn't on purpose but I do like the rest.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 10:29:30 AM by Khoufu »
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: April 10, 2019, 10:43:47 AM »

Poor Cherries Jubilee and Tootise. :lol:

Ponyfan

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: April 10, 2019, 10:47:41 AM »
I most be one of the only people with a soft spot for the Firefly/Medley pose.  But Medley was my first pony and I loved her.
Firefly was one of my first two G1s, and Medley was one of my sister's first, so I'm nostalgic for that pose as well. Same with Majesty/Glory and their pose.
Oh and I recently completed my US Firefly pose collection. Sprinkles wasn't on purpose but I do like the rest.
Firefly and Skydancer were both in my original herd.  I was completely enchanted with Skydancer and her rainbow hair.  It's funny that gimmick is hardly thought of as a gimmick any more.

For an unpopular opinion, I didn't want toys of characters that had been completely "fleshed out".  I really liked discovering who they were on my own.  I'm still less interested in collectables of characters from my favorite moves or TV shows.  Also, toys that didn't have a canon character suddenly getting one bothered me too.

Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Khoufu

• Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: April 10, 2019, 11:48:24 AM »

For an unpopular opinion, I didn't want toys of characters that had been completely "fleshed out".  I really liked discovering who they were on my own.  I'm still less interested in collectables of characters from my favorite moves or TV shows.  Also, toys that didn't have a canon character suddenly getting one bothered me too.

This was part of why I loved toys like MLP and Littlest Petshop as a kid. They could have whatever personality I chose, and there was no pressure to make them act a certain way, and LPS didn't even come with a name or gender.
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: April 10, 2019, 03:00:38 PM »
I definitely think they were meant to be "Reimagined for G4" versions. And if you think about it, Tirac/Tirek in particular kinda had to be reimagined because his G1 schtick had already been used by Nightmare Moon.
Yeah, and that, to me, ended up being a better call back to aspects of Rescue From Midnight Castle (regardless of whether it was intentional or not) than G4 Tirek did.

That being said, if it were up to me, I would have at least kept Tirek's ability to turn ponies and other animals into monsters, and had that be his goal rather than stealing attributes.  G4 Tirek is not a villain I can take seriously, and the main reason for that is because the ability they gave him means that one of the only things I can remember him doing is standing around with his mouth open.   
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 03:02:32 PM by MJNSEIFER »
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: April 10, 2019, 05:07:02 PM »
I definitely think they were meant to be "Reimagined for G4" versions. And if you think about it, Tirac/Tirek in particular kinda had to be reimagined because his G1 schtick had already been used by Nightmare Moon.
Yeah, and that, to me, ended up being a better call back to aspects of Rescue From Midnight Castle (regardless of whether it was intentional or not) than G4 Tirek did.

That being said, if it were up to me, I would have at least kept Tirek's ability to turn ponies and other animals into monsters, and had that be his goal rather than stealing attributes.  G4 Tirek is not a villain I can take seriously, and the main reason for that is because the ability they gave him means that one of the only things I can remember him doing is standing around with his mouth open.

:lol: That last line got me!
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: April 10, 2019, 06:43:52 PM »

:lol: That last line got me!

Me too. Animation stills of err, "magic eating" Tirek look like a red baboon with an O-face.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal