collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Unpopular Pony Opinions  (Read 411052 times)

Offline Ragamuffin

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Re: Unpopular Pony Opinions
« Reply #1515 on: February 23, 2019, 10:39:35 PM »
Bigger isn't better! I see everyone say G4 fashion style size should be the norm for G5, but if ponies were that big, they'd be harder to display and keep, and be even harder to make playsets for. EQG had one playset, the school, and that thing was way too small for the dolls. The way Hasbro is nowadays, the playset would collapse under the weight of the pony.

I think G3.5 is a good size. Like the body...? But more proportional.  G2ish? But shorter...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: February 24, 2019, 10:47:48 AM »
Bigger isn't better! I see everyone say G4 fashion style size should be the norm for G5, but if ponies were that big, they'd be harder to display and keep, and be even harder to make playsets for. EQG had one playset, the school, and that thing was way too small for the dolls. The way Hasbro is nowadays, the playset would collapse under the weight of the pony.

I think G3.5 is a good size. Like the body...? But more proportional.  G2ish? But shorter...

Its no  more difficult to display them then displaying G1 or G3 ponies. They're roughly about the same size.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 10:51:28 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #1517 on: February 24, 2019, 01:33:40 PM »

Its no  more difficult to display them then displaying G1 or G3 ponies. They're roughly about the same size.

I have...four FS ponies that are on display, and I think I have one other somewhere but I don't know where she is. I really like the FS ponies but I don't buy them because of their size. I think it's because several of them add up and I have a lot of G1 ponies taking up a lot of space already. G4 brushables take up so much less space that I can focus on them.

It's a shame but I kind of agree about the FS being unrealistically big for a collecting size. But then a play size for kids...that's different. It all depends on your focus I guess?

Unpopular Opinion: I really dislike the FIM cartoon show. But I really think many of the (original style) G4 brushables are stupidly cute. It feels kind of wrong but I like having a cluster of them on my bookcase and in front of my cabinet, even though the world they're so tied to is anathema to me.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: February 25, 2019, 04:46:29 AM »
Hasbro largely ignoring G2 makes sense to me from a business point of view as it bombed in the US, but as a European fan who was a tween when they came out I feel like all gens should be considered for nostalgia bait. Euros supported your crap when the USians didn't, Hasbro. Do something for us.

Guess my unpopular opinion is just being mopey about not getting pandered to enough. Make Ivy the lead in G5 :P

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: February 25, 2019, 06:22:36 AM »
Hasbro largely ignoring G2 makes sense to me from a business point of view as it bombed in the US, but as a European fan who was a tween when they came out I feel like all gens should be considered for nostalgia bait. Euros supported your crap when the USians didn't, Hasbro. Do something for us.

Guess my unpopular opinion is just being mopey about not getting pandered to enough. Make Ivy the lead in G5 :P

I agree to all gen pandering. Maybe you G2 fans can put the bug in Basic Fun's ear?

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #1520 on: February 25, 2019, 06:44:53 AM »

Hasbro largely ignoring the rest of the world when it comes to releases, exclusives and timelines of production is a bugbear of mine generally. Not that I want to see regional exclusives make a return in this day and age, but I would like to see regional packaging designs again, rather than generic and frankly boring packaging that we've seen these past couple of generations.

And as Zapper said, G2 had a strong presence in Europe. Being dominant in the US shouldn't be the criteria that decides what is and isn't remembered as not everywhere had the same childhood memories...BUT Hasbro is a US company, so good luck with that. ;)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ragamuffin

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #1521 on: February 25, 2019, 06:59:21 AM »

Hasbro largely ignoring the rest of the world when it comes to releases, exclusives and timelines of production is a bugbear of mine generally. Not that I want to see regional exclusives make a return in this day and age, but I would like to see regional packaging designs again, rather than generic and frankly boring packaging that we've seen these past couple of generations.

And as Zapper said, G2 had a strong presence in Europe. Being dominant in the US shouldn't be the criteria that decides what is and isn't remembered as not everywhere had the same childhood memories...BUT Hasbro is a US company, so good luck with that. ;)

I'm in the US and my very first ponies I owned were G2s so I have fond memories of them. Ivy is such a good, simple name, they should bring it back somehow! FiM has characters named Clever Clover and Dainty Dove... but they spelled it something like Dane Tee Dove? Something dumb. :P

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: February 25, 2019, 09:28:28 AM »
I love North Star, but for some reason I can't explain, her toy doesn't quite grab me. I had her for a couple of hours and then gave her to my daughter where she has a very happy home.

Post Merge: February 25, 2019, 09:29:09 AM

I'm in the US and my very first ponies I owned were G2s so I have fond memories of them. Ivy is such a good, simple name, they should bring it back somehow! FiM has characters named Clever Clover and Dainty Dove... but they spelled it something like Dane Tee Dove? Something dumb. :P

That is a dumb way of spelling it.

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: February 25, 2019, 05:55:25 PM »

I think they did this for trademark reasons. Hence why a lot of ponies ended up with double names (Sprinkle Medley, lmao!) or different ones to their in-show names (Sweetie Drops).

Offline Khayman81

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: February 26, 2019, 02:26:21 AM »

In Spain we feel like we don't exist. Not only with the re-release cause here it is impossible to get them but even current releases don't come here until it is all done. And thinking we even had our own manufactured ponies... Shame!
My wish list
My sales
Instagram: mlpsanti
Check my eBay profile for sales https://www.ebay.es/usr/santiagroz0

Offline Khoufu

• Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
« Reply #1525 on: February 26, 2019, 06:10:25 PM »
I second Ivy as a G5 main character!
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: February 27, 2019, 09:27:58 AM »

Yes, we are already two people! Let's get a petition going :lol: ;)
Heck, I would be so much more in favor of a reboot if they just took the old G2s and revamped their world. They had royalty ponies, magicians, ponies with glittery wings. All things already re-establshed in G4. So why not.

Ivy and Prince Firefly and their friends!

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: February 27, 2019, 09:36:08 AM »
I would love it if ponies went into D&D adventure mode.  For example, ponies set out to find a land safe from stratadons.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: February 27, 2019, 09:41:26 AM »

Yes, we are already two people! Let's get a petition going :lol: ;)
Heck, I would be so much more in favor of a reboot if they just took the old G2s and revamped their world. They had royalty ponies, magicians, ponies with glittery wings. All things already re-establshed in G4. So why not.

Ivy and Prince Firefly and their friends!

Sure. I'd be down for that.

Offline BubbleTea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
    • Must Collect Horses
« Reply #1529 on: March 04, 2019, 08:47:35 PM »

Count me in!