collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Unpopular Pony Opinions  (Read 411012 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Unpopular Pony Opinions
« Reply #1245 on: August 26, 2018, 09:02:33 AM »
I like Ladybird, just not quite as much as Seashell, Brazil Bowtie and Bubbles. One of these days I would like to see Hasbro make a ladybug pony in red and black. I have no idea why they shy away from those 2 colors.

What's her name in Greek? Is it just the Greek word for ladybug?

Erm. Something beginning with a P. It isn't Ladybird or anything like that, I think it just means Easter Pony or something...it's some kind of play on words with the Greek word for Easter and for Ladybird...I think.

But we didn't know any of this when greek ponies first started showing up, and I nicknamed her Ladybird, because I have no imagination, and it stuck, because apparently nor did anyone else xD.

http://mylittlewiki.org/wiki/Ladybird

Wiki has bravely attempted to spell it ;)

To stay on the thread topic - I like Brazilian ponies more than Greek ponies.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 09:05:18 AM by Taffeta »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Foxbite

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: August 26, 2018, 09:05:55 AM »
Eww who does that? Makes me wonder if they're trying to get rid of leaking ponies?

Forgive my ignorance, but what is a leaking pony? Are ponies melting now? I know they used to get brown cancer spots...
 I can\'t believe my eyes!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: August 26, 2018, 09:06:08 AM »
Ahh. Thank you Taf. :)

Post Merge: August 26, 2018, 09:08:16 AM

Eww who does that? Makes me wonder if they're trying to get rid of leaking ponies?

Forgive my ignorance, but what is a leaking pony? Are ponies melting now? I know they used to get brown cancer spots...

Plasticizer leakage. Its where the plasticizer leaks out and makes the pony all sticky until its done and the plastic becomes hard. I have no idea if it can happen to any plastic product, or if its only certain types?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 09:08:16 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Safflower

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: August 26, 2018, 09:14:53 AM »
Well, Hasbro used plasticizer to make the vinyl soft, so I don't now about hard plastics. It is contagious too, the fumes can get others leaking.

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: August 26, 2018, 09:39:46 AM »
I think I recall it happening to Breyers. Someone said it shrunk their horses a little and they got sticky.

Post Merge: August 26, 2018, 09:40:06 AM

Well, Hasbro used plasticizer to make the vinyl soft, so I don't now about hard plastics. It is contagious too, the fumes can get others leaking.

Contagious?!

Offline Safflower

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: August 26, 2018, 10:13:22 AM »
I think I recall it happening to Breyers. Someone said it shrunk their horses a little and they got sticky.

Contagious?!
Yeah, the gases can affect other ponies. I think ponies who are already down the cycle are more prone, but it can get the process started for others :( It's best to quarantine the leaking ones until they are completely done.

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: August 26, 2018, 10:17:52 AM »

Contagious?!
Yeah, the gases can affect other ponies. I think ponies who are already down the cycle are more prone, but it can get the process started for others :( It's best to quarantine the leaking ones until they are completely done.

Ohh man!

Offline Shaz

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: August 27, 2018, 02:16:25 AM »
I like Ladybird, just not quite as much as Seashell, Brazil Bowtie and Bubbles. One of these days I would like to see Hasbro make a ladybug pony in red and black. I have no idea why they shy away from those 2 colors.

What's her name in Greek? Is it just the Greek word for ladybug?

Erm. Something beginning with a P. It isn't Ladybird or anything like that, I think it just means Easter Pony or something...it's some kind of play on words with the Greek word for Easter and for Ladybird...I think.

But we didn't know any of this when greek ponies first started showing up, and I nicknamed her Ladybird, because I have no imagination, and it stuck, because apparently nor did anyone else xD.

http://mylittlewiki.org/wiki/Ladybird

Wiki has bravely attempted to spell it ;)

To stay on the thread topic - I like Brazilian ponies more than Greek ponies.

Late to the party, but it looks as if the pony's name is meant to be Πασχαλιτσα (Paschalitsa), which is indeed Greek for 'ladybird'. But Πάσχα (Pascha) is Easter, so, since the pony was sold in an Easter egg and has ladybirds on her, then yes, it's a play on words. Possibly ladybirds are especially associated with spring/Eastertide in Greece?

On a related note, my unpopular/just really random opinion is that there should be much, much more focus on rambling on about the names given to ponies in foreign languages :) But probably most people aren't as obsessed with foreign languages as me!

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: August 27, 2018, 04:02:43 AM »
I utterly agree with Shaz! Languages are awesome and so are names. And thank you for clearing up the Greek pony! I knew it was something like that. The irony being that I guess the people naming her also were a little lacking in imagination!
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline PoserBeachball

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: August 27, 2018, 05:30:39 AM »
On a related note, my unpopular/just really random opinion is that there should be much, much more focus on rambling on about the names given to ponies in foreign languages :) But probably most people aren't as obsessed with foreign languages as me!

I agree as well, I'd like to call my ponies their names in their native tongue, I'm not that gifted in languages ( only UK English and a bit of French)

A new thread is needed here :) anyone know Italian names to start with..........:)

Hey Shaz, maybe your unpopular opinion isn't as unpopular as all that :)

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: August 27, 2018, 06:48:45 AM »
Late to the party, but it looks as if the pony's name is meant to be Πασχαλιτσα (Paschalitsa), which is indeed Greek for 'ladybird'. But Πάσχα (Pascha) is Easter, so, since the pony was sold in an Easter egg and has ladybirds on her, then yes, it's a play on words. Possibly ladybirds are especially associated with spring/Eastertide in Greece?

This is fascinating, thanks for sharing! I was curious about her name. It's not just you, I think foreign pony names are very interesting :) I like the idea of making a thread about them.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: August 27, 2018, 06:54:36 AM »
That'd be a good thread to have. :)

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: August 27, 2018, 08:47:01 AM »
We should we should :D

I try to use the right names if it's a pony not sold in an English speaking place. My spreadsheet has the handful of Nirvana ponies I own listed where possible under their proper release names in that country, rather than the translation. I also try and use the German names for Nachtlicht etc, and the Dutch names for the 1995 release ponies if I can. There's one I can't spell right >.> but the others I can :)

I think it helps underscore the multinational hoofprint of MLP to do that.

I even went and looked up the Danish name for the February alt birthflower pony, because she came to me from Denmark. So she's now officially Stedmoder in my files :)

Also there's few more annoying translated names than 'Sing-a-long' pony. That one really irks me. xD.

Unpopular opinion - people shouldn't use translated names when the translation sounds stupid. I am sure Meezing doesn't literally mean 'sing a long'.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline BlushingBlue

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: August 27, 2018, 10:09:42 AM »
Unpopular opinion - people shouldn't use translated names when the translation sounds stupid. I am sure Meezing doesn't literally mean 'sing a long'.

If there's a different English translation of Meezing/Mitsing other than "sing along" I don't know what it would be. I'm sure you don't want her to be called "Carpool Karaoke" XD

Offline Cheyennethepony

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Smoozed Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: August 27, 2018, 10:34:53 AM »
I don't like Pinkie Pie from G4.
I used to but recently she's become... honestly... a psycho. She is insane. I don't really like Rarity personality-wise either but I usually enjoy episodes that are about her because they seem better written? IDK.

Post Merge: August 27, 2018, 10:46:25 AM

Rainbow_Quartz thanks for feeding my illusion that your opinion as to G4 is "unpopular".

I feel like it is (among pony fans I know personally anyway.)

i think its because this whole "brony" subculture literally came from g4 so like, theres a higher percentage of people who are actively into it who would probably try to fight you on the internet if you said you didnt like it. i personally love all gens~ ponies are ponies. theres no reason to hate g4 just cause its new. a lot of bronies hate g1-3 because they love g4, but a lot of people who love g1-3 and hate g4 are real "first generationers" to use pokemon terms. people who think it just can't get any better than gen 1, but in reality, the newer gens are just as good or lacking in creativity as their predecessors.
i don't care for g4 toys. i wish the quality was better, its like all the good toys were made in the 1980s, and now everything is about as producing as much as possible for as little as possible.

well said
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 10:46:25 AM by Cheyennethepony »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal