collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Unpopular Pony Opinions  (Read 411208 times)

Offline starstrider

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Pony pride!
    • View Profile
Re: Unpopular Pony Opinions
« Reply #975 on: May 13, 2018, 05:27:32 AM »
I feel the same way about customising G1s.  I hate seeing ponies with just a few flaws being cut open and repainted, rehaired, and rebranded.  Restoration is possible in most cases, and I wish people would put their energy into conserving the G1s sill in circulation rather than customise them. If the pony is really, REALLY baity and there's nothing short of a miracle which will fix it, then customisation is okay rather than the pony being just thrown away. It especially bothers me when I see poor quality G1 customs.  It feels like a pony was murdered and abused sometimes.  However, I have to admit that there are some really talented customisers out there who produce some beautiful customs. 
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: May 13, 2018, 06:40:36 AM »
Disagree. Antiques are a lot older then that.

Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: May 13, 2018, 10:19:06 AM »

Antique is a somewhat arbitrary word; that’s why I said “by some standards”. 50 is the standard for many antique collectors... At 35, G1s are closing on that number pretty quickly. Others might say an object becomes an antique at 70 or 100.

In any case, a collectible surviving 35 years only to end up being dubbed “bait” and then irreversibly customized rather than restored... seems pretty sad to me. :(
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 10:36:44 AM by Nemesis »
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: May 13, 2018, 10:26:53 AM »

That’s why I said “by some standards”. 50 is the standard for some antique collectors... At 35, G1s are closing on that number pretty quickly.

In any case, a collectible surviving 35 years only to end up being dubbed “bait” and then irreversibly customized rather than restored... seems pretty sad to me. :(

35 is not even close to 100.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antique
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 10:32:36 AM by Leave a Whisper »

Offline Nemesis

• Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: May 13, 2018, 10:33:24 AM »

That’s why I said “by some standards”. 50 is the standard for some antique collectors... At 35, G1s are closing on that number pretty quickly.

35 is not even close to 100.

Yes, but I said 50... 100 is the strictest definition of antique, but not the only standard.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 10:35:15 AM by Nemesis »
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: May 13, 2018, 10:36:35 AM »
They're not 50 either.  They'd be considered vintage at this point. 
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 10:43:42 AM by Leave a Whisper »

Offline Nemesis

• Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: May 13, 2018, 10:40:35 AM »
They're not 50 either.  They'd be considered vintage at this point.  You said by some standards they're old enough to be considered antique. That's flat out ridiculous, since 35 isn't anywhere near the 50-100 category. Its not an interchangeable term so your contradicting yourself and resorting to hyperbole.

Actually, I said “nearly”. 35 is a pretty ripe old age for a toy... Look at everything Barbie went through between 1959-1994.

I’ve come to loathe the word “vintage”... It technically gives no definition of age, and half the time is used to describe items from ten years ago. >_<;

« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 10:43:16 AM by Nemesis »

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: May 13, 2018, 10:43:18 AM »
They're not 50 either.  They'd be considered vintage.

That’s why I said “nearly”. In “toy years”, 35 is a pretty ripe old age... Look at everything Barbie went through between 1959-1994.

I’ve come to loathe the word “vintage”... It technically gives no definition of age, and half the time is used to describe items from ten years ago. >_<;

The terms aren't interchangeable. You said by some standards they're considered antique which is flat out ridiculous. Your contradicting yourself and resorting to hyperbole. 35 is nowhere near 50-100. Especially since there are toys far older then that.  Furthermore Vintage is at minimum 20 years. So you can't say it has no definitive age. :hmm:

People describing 10 years as vintage is just as silly as you describing antique ar 35 years.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 10:49:37 AM by Leave a Whisper »

Offline Nemesis

• Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: May 13, 2018, 10:48:15 AM »
They're not 50 either.  They'd be considered vintage.

That’s why I said “nearly”. In “toy years”, 35 is a pretty ripe old age... Look at everything Barbie went through between 1959-1994.

The terms aren't interchangeable. You said by some standards they're considered antique which is flat out ridiculous. Your contradicting yourself and resorting to hyperbole. 35 is nowhere near 50-100. Especially since there are toys far older then that.  Furthermore Vintage is at minimum 20 years. So you can't say it has no definitive age. :hmm:

People describing 10 years as vintage is just as silly as you describing antique ar 35 years.

[/quote]

The terms aren't interchangeable. You said by some standards they're considered antique which is flat out ridiculous. Your contradicting yourself and resorting to hyperbole. 35 is nowhere near 50-100. Especially since there are toys far older then that.  :hmm:
[/quote]

I said nearly. Nowhere did I say that they were, presently, antiques.

Also, vintage does not imply a set age: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/vintage

I have no idea why you’re being so catty about this... If you want to debate this, fine, but please be a bit more civil and a bit less condescending. And at least read my entire posts before telling me what I did or did not say.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 10:54:33 AM by Nemesis »

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: May 13, 2018, 10:54:01 AM »
And I said they're not even considerd nearly antique.  Funny, all I need do is type in requirement age for vintage in search and it pops up as 20 years. That sure sounds like a definitive age to me.

I'm not being catty or rude. I've been perfectly civil. If you interpret it that way, That's strictly your problem, not mine. This is my topic and unpopular opinions invite discussion and differing opinions. If you don't like it again your problem.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 11:00:31 AM by Leave a Whisper »

Offline Nemesis

• Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: May 13, 2018, 10:59:21 AM »
And I said they're not even considerd nearly. Funny, all I need do is type in requirement age for vintage and it pops up as 20 years. That sure sounds like a definitive age to me.

15 years isn’t much, IMO. If you thinnk it is, that’s fine, since “much” and “nearly” are also completely arbitrary.

Any strict age requirement for “vintage” isn’t in the actual definition of the word. I literally just gave you the dictionary definition.

I have no problem with debating an opinion. But you have been rather uncivil to me, calling my statements “silly” and “hyperbole”.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 11:03:00 AM by Nemesis »

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: May 13, 2018, 11:01:04 AM »
And I said they're not even considerd nearly. Funny, all I need do is type in requirement age for vintage and it pops up as 20 years. That sure sounds like a definitive age to me.

15 years isn’t much, IMO. If you thinnk it is, that’s fine, since “much” and “nearly” are also completely arbitrary.

Any strict age requirement for “vintage” isn’t in the actual definition of the word. I just gave you the dictionary definition.

Interesting. I gave you a definition of antique and you chose to ignore it. Bit hypocritical of you.

Offline Nemesis

• Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: May 13, 2018, 11:07:44 AM »

Any strict age requirement for “vintage” isn’t in the actual definition of the word. I just gave you the dictionary definition.

Interesting. I gave you a definition of antique and you chose to ignore it. Bit hypocritical of you.

I didn’t ignore it. I said that 100 was the strictest definition of the word. I suppose I’m giving you the strictest definition of “vintage” now. Also, the very article you linked even talked about varying opinions of “antique”’s age specification.

Also, you’re being just as hypocritical, by your own definition, as I am... You just keep choosing the source (Google search, Wiki) that suits you, and taking that as law. Those aren’t even academically citable sources. Furthermore, you ignore half of what I say and just repeat your own opinions.

Also:
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/antiques

By “various custom laws”, an antique is 100 or more. However, many definitions of the word don’t even imply a standard age requirement at all.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 11:15:24 AM by Nemesis »

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: May 13, 2018, 11:15:04 AM »

Any strict age requirement for “vintage” isn’t in the actual definition of the word. I literally just gave you the dictionary definition.

I have no problem with debating an opinion. But you have been rather uncivil to me, calling my statements “silly” and “hyperbole”.

Silly and hyperbole isn't an insult. If i were being uncivil and rude to you, trust me, you'd know it. As I'm not always the nicest person and I'm quite mouthy and uncouth.

If you think that someone calmly pointing out that 35 years isn't close to 50 or 100 is rude, uncivil or catty, then I don't know what to say to that. But once again, that is strictly your problem for choosing to interpret it that way.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 11:18:09 AM by Leave a Whisper »

Offline RoseNoire

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • pony count : 243
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: May 13, 2018, 11:18:35 AM »
Judging whether or not 35 is close to 50 and deciding at what age something is "vintage" of "antique" is kind of a matter of opinion. I think your argument might go on until G1s are definitely described as archeological artifacts.
Rusty/frizzy pony restoration tutorial
Drink'n'wet pony restoration tutorial
G3 Twist and Style petal parlor thorough cleaning
My collection | My drawings
-> Made by Witchvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
-> Made by Starrynights

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal