collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: The Plant Thread  (Read 24723 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: The Plant Thread
« Reply #435 on: February 02, 2023, 10:58:08 AM »
So my morning glory rescue seedlings are now big enough they're driving my mother crazy *LOL*. Every time she comes in my room she asks when they're going outside (it's February, -.-) and talks about them taking over the whole room (they aren't even taking over half of my windowsill, but you know...)

I didn't know originally if they would survive, but I put up canes for them, and one of them reached the top of my window this morning. I cheerfully told Mum that it will probably be growing in the window vent next, and then my curtain rail. Note, my curtain rail is really old and the ends already fell off, I just haven't replaced it yet, so if they did get to it, it wouldn't be a problem.

...I am impressed with their tenacity. They really have no idea what time of year it is.

Climbing plants are also fascinating, watching them figure out space and where to go. These plants have a better sense of direction than I do ;)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: February 03, 2023, 03:36:50 PM »
Mint 1 is looking sickly. :(  I thought the cold was finally getting to it, but I picked up the pot and Mint 1's roots are coming out the drain hole.  I know that means it's outgrown the current pot and needs to be repotted, but I'm trying to hold off a little longer due to the crazy weather. It was below freezing for several days, and we finally started warming up yesterday.

The long runner that looks like it's growing up actually pointed down when I lifted the pot up.

Mint 2's roots are also coming out the drain hole, but not as many or as thick as Mint 1.

Ponyfan
« Last Edit: February 03, 2023, 06:19:03 PM by Ponyfan »

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #437 on: February 06, 2023, 03:14:23 PM »
I hope mint 1 bounces back.

I finally got my new plants :lovey:

Bonnie spider plant, regular spider plant, some type of fern I forget, and a rattlesnake plant. All cat safe.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Beth3346

• Trade Count: (+91)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • she/her/hers - Baby Mint Dreams by Lady Satine
    • View Profile
    • My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #438 on: February 07, 2023, 10:10:47 AM »
i completely missed my window to bring the plants in before the freeze. they seem to be unaffected though. i need to prepare better for winter next year. when i brought the plants for the previous hard freeze dirt was all over. i found some trays and risers that i'm going to order online. i think i may need some lamps or something though. i don't have any windows that get good sunlight. the plants seem really unhappy when i do bring them inside.
Current Grails - Dutchies, Princess Variants PM me if you have any for sale - Want List

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: February 07, 2023, 12:54:20 PM »
That second regular spider plant will be 3x as big as that by this time next year, BC xD.

They're fun plants, but they do like to explore stuff.

I went in the garden this afternoon to see that the winter cyclamen are now flowering, which is nice. I don't think any tub or basket plants will survive this winter, as it's been below freezing several times,aside maybe some of the nemesia. Nemesia is not hardy, but nobody told my plants that...o.O
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #440 on: February 08, 2023, 06:31:59 AM »
I like the new plants BC. :)   The stores around me haven't started putting plants out yet, probably because of the crazy weather we've been having. 

It was warm on Sunday so I went in the backyard and checked all of the flowerpots I could find to see if we had one that was bigger than Mint 2's current pot. The only one that is bigger is so huge that I probably wouldn't be able to lift it once it's filled with the plant and potting soil.  I'm hoping to pick up a new pot for Mint 2 this weekend and once it's warm for several days repot Mint 2 in to the new pot and give Mint 1 Mint 2's current pot.

I also want some different plants but haven't decided on which ones to get yet.

Ponyfan

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #441 on: February 08, 2023, 06:37:35 AM »
Thanks guys! I love them :lovey: I just wish I had smaller pots for them. 2-3inches are what's recommended but I just had these which are 4 or 5. I think I put them too deep into the pots too. The curly spider is fine since it's bigger but I worry about the other spider plant, it's so tiny.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed

Online Lady Frostbite

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Absolutely Abbeylicious!
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: February 08, 2023, 01:09:40 PM »
All the chillies are doing good, still little babies but they now all have multiple leaves which is a relief!

Just repotted some of my gasteraloe's offshoots. I bought Mama Gasteraloe for 10p as a sad, ratty thing with three leaves. She's THRIVING and has successfully produced about 7 little gasterlings! Two have gotten bigger pots, a small one has gotten a nicer pot and joined the rest on the hallway shelf

Signature image artwork done by the talented Starscout!
MLP Gameloft game friend code : 29c831

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #443 on: February 10, 2023, 12:25:54 PM »
I bought a new pot for Mint 2, but it's still too cold to be repotting plants.

I'm getting a little worried about the mints.  They're both started to look a little sick. :(  Some of Mint 2's leaves have turned yellow. There's also some tiny bugs crawling around on Mint 2.  I haven't used the dish soap spray on the plants since I brought them inside.

Mint 1

Mint 2

Yellow Leaves on Mint 2

Ponyfan

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: February 12, 2023, 08:24:11 AM »
@BC, I think your little spider plant will be fine, they grow very fast. My two old ones actually broke their pots because their roots were so spread out the pots had to be cut off to repot them *lol*. The juvenile rooted itself from a runner by accident summer 2021, and it was smaller than your plant, rooting itself in a bigger pot. I put it in a pot around the size you have over winter and by spring it had outgrown it and required repotting. I'm anicipating having to repot again when they go outside for the summer this year, as its now a substantial size plant.

That spider plant is so funny, though. It's growing its runners towards the fuchsia and the morning glory, and actually 'hugging' them like it's making friends.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #445 on: February 13, 2023, 07:11:15 AM »
That's good to know. My downstairs neighbor has a spider plant outside and it's gigantic.

I think I need to add more soil to the pots and move everyone up a bit. I've named them :) Curly spider is Bonnie, which is what it's called anyway, small spider is Shrimp, the fern (it's a Japanese birds nest fern) is Spike and the rattlesnake plant is Fingers. They're still on the table but I want to move them to their spots. I only have spots for three of them because that's all I was going to get, but the seller had a buy 3 get 1 free, so I got the fern.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: February 18, 2023, 09:58:57 AM »
My cherry blossom is flowering :) It's the second year in a row that it's bloomed before my birthday. It's meant to start around early march, but it's had a lot of sun up against the house. It's the flower you can see in my avatar, although that's an old pic now :)

All around where I live, the bulbs are also coming up. Daffodils are flowering near the shop and in the woods yesterday we saw snowdrops, crocuses and cyclamen. My birthday is in winter, but these days it really is the prologue to spring. Even my garden delphiniums have started shooting, although last year they didn't until May.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #447 on: February 18, 2023, 01:24:33 PM »
My cherry blossom is flowering :) It's the second year in a row that it's bloomed before my birthday. It's meant to start around early march, but it's had a lot of sun up against the house. It's the flower you can see in my avatar, although that's an old pic now :)

I bet the cherry blossoms are beautiful.  :lovey:

I was hoping to post pictures of the mints in their new pots today, but the weather was snowy and rainy this morning. :(  Still hoping to get them repotted this weekend though.

Ponyfan

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #448 on: February 18, 2023, 03:29:50 PM »
I finally added some more soil and lifted my new plants up in the pots. I also discovered that I didn't take off all of the cellophane on the roots of the spider plant! It is starting to look yellow on some leaves so I hope now that the cellophane is gone and I broke up the soil around the roots that it will perk up.

eta: Here are they are.

And poor little Shrimp :( I hope he makes it.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2023, 06:05:03 AM by BlackCurtains »

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #449 on: February 20, 2023, 03:27:47 PM »
Your plants look nice, BC.  :)  I hope Shrimp makes it.

Repotting the mints went nothing like I expected it to. :(

We had 2 and a half bags of potting soil that we bought in August right before Walmart stopped putting gardening things out and moved on to Christmas stuff.  I thought that would be more than enough for the mint plants. 

The pot that you see in the background of Mint 2's pic was the pot I bought to put Mint 2 in.  When my dad put it in, it was too small, so I had to find a larger pot.

We used all of the potting soil we had repotting Mint 2 and even had to borrow a bag from the neighbors. I'm a bit worried because the potting soil the neighbors had was different from what we had but I'm hoping since most of it was the same kind, Mint 2 will be okay with it being mixed together.

Mint 2 was so cramped in the flowerpot, that my mom broke the pot (it was plastic) trying to get Mint 2 out.  I think my dad accidentally cut one of the roots while he was trying to get Mint 2 out, but most of the roots are still intact so I hope it will survive.

Mint 1

Mint 2. 

I have to buy more potting soil before Mint 1 can be repotted.  I also have to replace the bag we borrowed from the neighbors.

Ponyfan

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal