collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: The Plant Thread  (Read 30627 times)

Offline Beth3346

• Trade Count: (+91)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • she/her/hers - Baby Mint Dreams by Lady Satine
    • View Profile
    • My Little Pony Collection
Re: The Plant Thread
« Reply #180 on: July 31, 2022, 10:17:01 AM »
my basil is looking uphappy today. i've been watering it but it's looking yellowish and sad. maybe it needs more sun? it's in a semi-shaded area of my patio.
Current Grails - Dutchies, Princess Variants PM me if you have any for sale - Want List

Offline freezestime

• Forever and Always the Prom Queen
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 31, 2022, 11:20:52 AM »
I'm hoping to find a terrarium I like to put some nice plants in. Idk exactly what'd they be yet.
Freezestime's Masterlist! https://bit.ly/3x1te5n
Dedicated G2 thread! https://bit.ly/3vIIJhL
Dedicated G2 V2.0 thread! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,403447.msg1880080/topicseen.html#new
Forgotten Toy lines! [urlhttps://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=395090.150[/url]

Offline Lady Frostbite

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Absolutely Abbeylicious!
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 31, 2022, 12:41:10 PM »
I am tempted to just put up with the flies and get an anthurium again as I loved my previous one ... The store does PINK ones on occasion!! I'll try and resist for now

It's hot but at least I think my chillies like the weather
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Signature image artwork done by the talented Starscout!
MLP Gameloft game friend code : 29c831

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #183 on: August 01, 2022, 05:44:11 AM »
I got bigger pots for Ben and the rosemary, if it bounces back, because rosemary gets kinda big. I've had it in the sun for three days and I think it gets at least 6 hours (what is recommended) but almost all the needles have fallen off and the stems have black spots, which I read is a sign that it was overwatered (that I figured because it was soaking wet when I got it).

In other news, guys I'm so sad :(

Remember the oak tree I mentioned? The one that I thought sat on its own lot and I always wanted to get a picture of?

They chopped half of it down! All those lovely branches, gone. The trunk is on the next lot, so at least it's still alive, but I worry that someone will buy that lot and have it killed for good. It must be hundreds of years old :( I'm really hoping the people in the house on the other side own the lot the tree is on, and keep it safe.

There is so much building going on where my parents live. I don't understand. If the housing market is so bad, and no one is buying, why are so many people BUILDING new houses? Is it rich people who want rental properties? When we first moved into that house, we were one of four houses in the cul-de-sac. Now there are six. There was nothing but that other oak I talked about and the lake across the street. It was all wilderness. I could take my telescope outside and see fine without a light pollution filter and I would run into all kinds of animals. One time and entire pack of coyotes walked down the road.

Each time I pass a new house being built it makes me think of all the animals and insects that lost their home. There is going to be nowhere left for them to go. And not having greenspace does things to people... it's been proven that spending time among nature does good things to your brain. Being surrounded by the same yards with the same layouts and the same palm trees over and over can't be good. There is one house who did things different and has ponytail palms. Everyone else has bottlebrush. And they aren't even native.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #184 on: August 01, 2022, 10:18:37 AM »
@BC, I feel you with the building. The green and pretty is one of the few positive things this area has to offer. I still miss the butterflies :(

Our rosemary has had some issues this year with needle dropping. I'm not sure it's overwatering, because we've had a really dry July and it lives outside. We watered some through the heatwave, but it's not very happy.

The heat totalled my parents' astilbe. One of mine is a bit cooked but the other two are doing all right. They're not flowering though.

My one tub has a petunia about to flower in it. I have no idea where it came from, but it's pretty ;)

It makes me so happy to see some blue morning glories flowering from time to time in my climbing plant tower.

Poinsettia is being a madam again. She's grown enough now that she's started covering the front of the unit and reaching out across towards the window again. The branches she had on the back, however, she's done with because they're not in the sun any more. I gave her a trim yesterday to clear those up. Better that than more leaves on my floor. Poinsettia likes decorating :/
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 01, 2022, 10:35:30 AM »
Poor oak tree.  It makes me sad that someone cut off all of the branches and only left the stump. 

Our neighbors across the street had a beautiful tree in their front yard. One day we noticed people cutting down the tree.  Someone said that the new owner of the house decided to cut it down.  After the tree was cut down the person that had it done didn't buy the house.

Here are the mint plants.  It looks like Mint 2 is sending out runners but it doesn't have anywhere else to go.

Mint 1

Mint 2

Mint 1 is attracting bugs.  They come out sometimes when I water it.  I sprayed both plants with fresh dish soap spray yesterday.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Beth3346

• Trade Count: (+91)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • she/her/hers - Baby Mint Dreams by Lady Satine
    • View Profile
    • My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #186 on: August 01, 2022, 03:14:17 PM »
poor oak trees :( they've done an ok job of building around them where i live. we have one in the yards next door and i'm glad to have it there. it's between 2 lots and they built the fence around it. it's one of the reasons we picked our lot. why would anyone want to remove an oak tree? they're so beautiful.

the basil still looks unhappy. i'll take a photo and add it to this post later.
Current Grails - Dutchies, Princess Variants PM me if you have any for sale - Want List

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #187 on: August 01, 2022, 03:50:08 PM »
My patio rose flowered for the second time this summer. It's a very bright scarlet red and has a lovely scent. It's really odd because I didn't think many roses that bright in colour had a good scent. But there it is. We found it in our garden and I potted it up. It clashed with everything in the garden but I'm keeping it for cut flowers.

@BC I'm sorry about the tree. That would make me furious.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #188 on: August 02, 2022, 02:52:45 PM »
Oh no the oak tree -_-

I want to make a succulent sculpture, I have found a base for it, I now need to find time, succulents and moss to fill the gaps. This might be a long term project.

Venus Flytrap is looking a little better? It didn't like the heat and I think it got more dried out than it liked, even thought I watered it during the hot spell.

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 08, 2022, 07:05:01 PM »
Here are this week's pics of the mint plants.  They've been repotted for 2 months now.  We had a really good rain today so I didn't have to water them.

Mint 1

Mint 2

Ponyfan

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #190 on: August 09, 2022, 05:47:39 AM »
They look great, Ponyfan!

I repotted Ben again. He's so big now!

The Rosemary has little green sprouts, so the sunlight is helping it. The soil is STILL moist to the touch. When it dries out, I'll put it in Ben's old pot.

(it has cat fuzz stuck to it :lol: )

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Online Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #191 on: August 09, 2022, 12:18:36 PM »
Wooow Ben is so big! And your mint plants are looking great, Ponyfan!

I think I have finally defeated the mites that were destroying my snack cucumber. :dance: Nettle brew didn't seem to do much so I resorted to using diluted pine soap every couple of days, and spraying 2-3 times a day with plain water in between. Finally I used a mixture of pine soap, bicarb of soda, and a little vegetable cooking oil - I made this mixture to treat powdery mildew in my million bells, but thought spraying the cucumber with it couldn't hurt.

Got a couple of new plants too, a new million bells to replace the poor little one (well I'm still trying to treat it, not giving up yet) and a chrysanthemum that I hope will last until late in the autumn.

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: August 11, 2022, 07:26:36 PM »
Thank you BC and Griffin. 

I think Mint 1 is finally on it's way to making a full recovery from my efforts to help it.  It's still not as full as Mint 2 though and the leaves look a different on each plant even though they're the same type of mint. 

I try to leave some water in the saucers under the plants so if they get thirsty during the day the mints have some water available to draw up their roots but today one of the saucers got too full and I had to dump the water out. 

Ben looks very happy and healthy.  :)

Griffin,  I'm glad you got rid of the mites.  I still see some kind of bugs when I water Mint 1.

Ponyfan

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #193 on: August 11, 2022, 08:15:09 PM »
my basil is looking uphappy today. i've been watering it but it's looking yellowish and sad. maybe it needs more sun? it's in a semi-shaded area of my patio.

Yellow might mean he needs re-potting or feeding if you have some.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #194 on: August 12, 2022, 01:54:40 PM »
Feeding is a good idea. :)

I think I lost one of my delphiniums :/ I pulled a massive slug from its roots but the damage along with the heat...I don't think it's going to make it which is sad :(

But my little poker is flowering :D It's a tiny little thing (it is a miniature poker, so it's only meant to grow to about half a metre, and it's always dwarfed by the mad salvia that grow behind it). It usually only flowers once, but this year it's managed two flowers, so it clearly likes the heat. Glad something does! The salvia are also doing great, as always. I have to put up frames to hold them back else they'd squash the whole garden. They're also meant to grow to about a half a metre, but that's pretty much their start point even though I cut them back both autumn and spring.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal