collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Rate the last movie you watched?  (Read 26881 times)

Offline Minty_Magic

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you watched?
« Reply #75 on: March 27, 2022, 07:19:22 PM »
I had a movie pass to watch all the movies up for best picture. IDK if best picture has been announced yet or not but here are my opinions on all 10! Spoiler: I don’t think I’m smart enough to appreciate these artsy, highbrow movies lol!

Dune: 6/10. I was confused through about half of the movie, however in the movies defense I often get lost in sci fi and fantasy movies. :PI can never keep up with all the characters! From what story points I picked up on the story premise was interesting. The score was awesome too, I think it should win for that if nothing else!

Drive My Car: 4/10. It was just okay imo. It was wayyyy too long without much compelling story. I didn’t feel super attached to any of the characters. The first 45 minutes were pretty much just soft p*rn which I really did not appreciate. The photography/cinematography element was beautiful though!

Power of the Dog: 3/10. This one was just weird! None of the characters were particularly interesting or likable for me. The story was just meh.

Coda: 10/10. This was by far my favorite of the bunch! It was a cute, upbeat story about a deaf family and their struggles. It had the perfect blend of drama and comedy. The story was engaging and entertaining all the way through. It also was an interesting glimpse into the everyday struggles deaf people face.

Nightmare Alley: 7/10. This one was dark, but thrilling! I thought the story was paced nicely and unlike a lot of these movies, the ending tied in nicely with the beginning! The characters were obviously mostly bad people, but they were written in a way where they were still interesting and engaging.

Belfast: 5/10. Average. It just left like, 0 impression on me. I wish it would have focused more on the historical period and events that it was taking place in. I found the historical pice of it far more compelling than the character driven parts. Also Jesus, could they have found more artists to put in the m ie than just Van Morrison?? I’ve never seen a movie dedicate themselves so much to just one artist lol!

Licorice Pizza: I’ve rated this one before, but I’ll rate it again in the context of seeing the other best picture films. 3/10 maybe? I still hated the weird age gap romance and the long meandering story, BUT I do want to give it kudos for casting actors that are not necessarily “Hollywood pretty”. It was refreshing to see people who actually looked like normal people playing the lead roles, and I did like the glimpse into 1970s California!

Don’t Look Up: I also rated this one before, but to be fair, I’ll add it in again. 8/10. It was a funny movie with smart political commentary. The story was compelling and depressingly accurate as to the state of our world today.

King Richard: 10/10. This one was really good too! It was the story of how Serena and Venus Williams’ dad helped train them in tennis. The story was well paced and really interesting. It also had a good blend of drama and comedy. I loved seeing the real clips of the family at the end, the movie did a fantastic job staying faithful to the family’s story!

West Side Story: 5/10. Okay so, I’ll just start by saying I don’t like musicals so that definitely colored my opinion of this movie. It was such a sad serious story set to…the goofiest music ever. It really took me out of the story every time they broke into song, but, I will say the choreography and singing were all very well done! Ansel Egort also really over acted his part imo. There was one scene where he thinks Maria died and his reaction was SO over the top I had to stop myself from laughing! I’ve never seen the original or the stage play, but it seemed like it stayed pretty faithful to the source material, so if you do like the original you’ll probably like this.

I really hope Coda wins best picture! I know that the Academy tends to gravitate towards the really heavy, artistic films but for the average viewer Coda was such a well crafted movie that she’d light on an often overlooked community. To me a good movie should keep you thinking even after you walk out of the theater, and Coda was the only one that did that for me!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you to Squarepeg for my avatar!

Offline SpacePinto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 09, 2022, 05:05:19 PM »
Paulette - great movie and very funny, although the main protagonist is a little problematic, 8/10
Inka Dinka Doo

Offline Koudoawaia

• Storm Dragon
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dragon with the heart of a guinea pig
    • View Profile
    • FA Gallery
« Reply #77 on: April 10, 2022, 08:14:46 AM »
Watched The Wind Rises by Studio Ghibli with my husband two days ago. Beautiful movie. 10/10.

Many thanks to FairieFalls for my sig image and many thanks to Shaiyeh for my avatar :art:

Offline Lilycove

• Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 10, 2022, 08:37:49 PM »
My partner and I watched the second sonic movie in 4D the other day while we were stranded in a big city. It was actually really good! It was way better than the first one imo. It was a little silly but that's sort of what I would want out of a sonic movie anyway. The 4D aspect was quite fun, however it did make me a bit motion sick towards the end. Overall, I'd rate it 8/10. There was definitely room for improvement, but it was overall a super fun film.
:good:

♡ Artist ♡ Gamer ♡ G1 Pony Collector ♡

°•. ✿ .•°

Offline SpacePinto

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 15, 2022, 01:50:47 PM »
Shutter Island - one of my favorite movies, brilliant, well-acted, touching and with awesome music, not to mention that Leonardo DiCaprio looks darn good in a trench coat, 9/10
Inka Dinka Doo

Offline Ponyrama_95

• Fancy Pants Baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 15, 2022, 11:29:32 PM »
Shutter Island - one of my favorite movies, brilliant, well-acted, touching and with awesome music, not to mention that Leonardo DiCaprio looks darn good in a trench coat, 9/10

I watched it too a few days ago!  :biggrin:

Offline Minty_Magic

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 16, 2022, 12:25:27 AM »
I got to see an advance screening of The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent. I’m not a big Nicolas Cage fan, so I may have missed some jokes but it was still a solid 10/10! It was surprisingly clever and oddly kind of sweet? Usually I hate movies that try and be ‘meta’ but this one was fun!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2022, 12:27:35 AM by Minty_Magic »

Thank you to Squarepeg for my avatar!

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #82 on: April 16, 2022, 10:16:28 AM »
The Platform - I've seen it once before. It's better the second time. 7/10

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline SpacePinto

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 18, 2022, 07:46:30 AM »
Felidae - great movie, and pretty dark for an animated film about cats, I also love the theme song by Boy George, 9/10
Inka Dinka Doo

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 18, 2022, 05:49:10 PM »
Porco Rosso-It was okay. A bit too goofy and ridiculous, the humor didn't hit. Beautifully animated. Story and characters were bland. 5/10

It's not among my Ghibli favorites.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2024, 11:17:18 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Marshie

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • Local Twinkle Eye and MLP Tales fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 18, 2022, 06:01:18 PM »
Willy's Wonderland - Nicolas Cage says zero words and fights possessed animatronics; the man just wants to clean, for God's sake! I love little passion projects and this was the best bad movie I've watched in a while. Unironically 10/10.

Avatar by me~! Sig by NanoRuby~!
MLPArena Wishlist Full Wishlist

Offline Starflashbaby

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • When life throws you bricks, build a Castle!
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #86 on: April 21, 2022, 02:53:48 PM »
I just seen "Father Stu" I liked it because it was not afraid to talk about touchy subjects & the bonus was it had Mark Wahlberg in it. It's a great story that was based on a true story so anyone can watch it and take something from it.
There isn't anything I didn't like about it... so I give it a 10/10

My next movie is Uncharted
If you minus Me being a Mark Wahlberg fan and base this on Tom Hollands acting I would watch this over and over again. Mark is a bonus for me. Definitely a 10/10 it stuck to the games and it was very actionable. 

My 3rd movie I just watched Batman new in theaters
It's really now a day batman... the batmobile is a classic car but it's still batmobile like. It's got new twists in it but it also feels very close to thevideo games batman Archylim Asylim & Batman Archim City (Note you don't have to play the games to understand the movie but it's got that same plot or vibe)
I give it a 10/10

Sales, WTB, Commissions Open

Offline Beth3346

• Trade Count: (+91)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • she/her/hers - Baby Mint Dreams by Lady Satine
    • View Profile
    • My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #87 on: April 21, 2022, 04:16:23 PM »
I'm not a big movie watcher. The last movie i watched was the original Matrix. i've seen it before but i had forgotten most of it. it was good. i see why it's stuck in pop culture for so long. i would say 9/10. it's not their fault people twist the meaning of their movie.

so from the above review i'm guessing Power of the Dog is not about how dogs are all wonderful creatures?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2022, 04:19:28 PM by Beth3346 »
Current Grails - Dutchies, Princess Variants PM me if you have any for sale - Want List

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 21, 2022, 05:24:09 PM »

Power of the Dog: 3/10. This one was just weird! None of the characters were particularly interesting or likable for me. The story was just meh.

Now that I have seen it (it's on Netflix) I have got to say I would give this movie a 8/10 rating. It was a good, quiet drama and very well shot and acted by everyone involved. Not sure what you found "weird" about it.

so from the above review i'm guessing Power of the Dog is not about how dogs are all wonderful creatures?

Story spoilers:
Spoiler
The Cumberbatch character was gay and projecting onto the boy, trying to drive his mother crazy and separate him from her. In the end he dies because the boy catches onto him and gives him a cow hide tainted by a disease that the Cumberbatch character touches with bare hands to make a rope. It's a family drama set in a time when women had barely any rights and homosexuality could get you killed and makes you feel for both the villain (Cumberbatch) and his victim (Dunst).

Nightmare Alley: 7/10. This one was dark, but thrilling! I thought the story was paced nicely and unlike a lot of these movies, the ending tied in nicely with the beginning! The characters were obviously mostly bad people, but they were written in a way where they were still interesting and engaging.

Also seen this one lately (on Disney Plus) and gotta say it disappointed me greatly. I have seen the original movie (a film noir) and prefer it over this remake. It's not a bad film but it had so many Guillermo DelToro clichés in it, I ended up making a bingo card and had one bingo and one almost bingo x__x It was comical and silly. Like putting a three eyed fetus in a jar into this movie or showing faces caving in... it's like DelToro has to cram these things into his movies. I love his work usually, especially Faun's Labyrinth, but this movie was creatively bankrupt. I'd give it a 5/10 for all the shoddy, ill-placed DelToro-isms.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 06, 2022, 08:20:26 AM »
The Crawling Eye -I like this movie. The plot moves along at a good pace, the actors aren't boring, and the aliens are really cool looking for such old things. 7/10
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal