collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Basic Fun Factory Seconds  (Read 578 times)

Offline plasticnpastel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Bratz Pony
    • View Profile
Basic Fun Factory Seconds
« on: July 30, 2023, 07:51:39 PM »
I haven't seen any recent threads on these, so I wanted to get the community's opinion on these!

Extra Basic Fun ponies have been available on Taobao for a while- they're almost entirely the scented Rainbow ponies. I wonder if this indicates that they made an entire run before they realized how the scent affected the plastic of the ponies and public opinion before they completely scrapped them and remade scentless versions. Now all the overstock is being sold by independent sellers.

About two months ago I found this listing on Taobao- they're factory second ponies that have been kitbashed from extra parts.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Link if anyone is curious

I was among one of the first orders on this particular listing, and I ordered 5 to start. They were about $0.75 a piece individually, sold random, with a minimum order of 5pcs.

From my proxy photos the Starshine/Surprise combo looks the best, but I’m also surprised by the Sparkler/Moonstone. It also looks like Sparkler’s head is only half-rooted, which ties nicely into the little oddity factor of these. (Outside Blossom, of course, she just looks new from the factory.)

After this I ordered a few more batches trying to get the Tickle/Blossom shown in the original listing photo. All in all I ended up with 20 total from this listing.

My conspiracy theory was that the Tickle/Blossom combo never existed outside of that photo- by this point, about a month after I first found these, other listings had started to crop up, she was the only one not featured in any. Most of the listings had gone up in price, and averaged about $1.15 per pony, and usually with a minimum order of 5.

(various listing photos under spoiler)
Spoiler

Can someone call an exorcist for Parasol?

I also managed to confirm all the other combos with my orders:
- Moonstone/Sparkler x4 (two with both purple and red hair stripes, two with only a partially rooted head with the red stripe)
- Butterscotch/Skydancer x3
- Stranger Things Applejack/Bluebelle x2
- Confetti/Starshine x3
- Surprise/Starshine x3
- Glory/Starshine x2
- Parasol x1
- Blossom x2

THAT IS, until I found this listing just yesterday:

Link

Yup, that's the seller holding Tickle/Blossom, only the second example I've ever found. And not only that, but my proxy has a new feature where at the bottom of the listing it will show actual photos of the product the last customer who bought from the listing received.

IT'S HER

I put in a purchase order as this listing is one of the only that allows you to buy individually, and with all fees and such she came out to around $5.15 total.  I put in the notes for my proxy to request the purple rainbow one, and they haven’t said that the listing is random. I wait with bated breath.

Anyways, while I wait I wanted to show these to the community and get opinions. How do these fit in? Judging by how the hair has plastic ties in it, these seem to either be extra parts or ones stolen off the line and jumbled together. There are complete Blossoms, Bluebells, and Parasols, but no Starshine heads, Sparkler bodies, etc. Why is Sparkler the only one that is available partially rooted?

The listings have over 300 total sales cumulatively, and taking into account most have a minimum purchase limit, there's over 1000 of these out there (assuming 8-9 different styles too.) Why are there so many extra parts? Did Basic Fun assume these would be more popular than they were, or didn't expect Target to not renew their contract to carry them?

How do these fit in with factory samples or seconds? I personally doubt these will hold any value since in theory anyone could have put these together and there’s no proof they’re from the factory. I'm purchasing them mostly out of personal curiosity, and because it was fun to find these. They'll look nice with all my official boxed versions.

I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts, or even hear which mashup is your favorite! I think it would just be fun to come up with names for these.

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Basic Fun Factory Seconds
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2023, 07:59:48 PM »
I’m cracking up at that last photo, and the excitement!! :lmao: She is hilarious! I wonder if there’s just a lot of busted up ponies being thrown out? It makes me want some too! They’re so fun!
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2023, 08:50:07 PM »
Some are quite pretty all mixed n matched like that.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2023, 10:24:00 PM »
I bought some too, ha ha!  They're so fun!

It's hard to say what they mean in the grander scheme of things.  I once saw a listing for like, a hundred Equestria Girls Twilight Sparkle heads. JUST her head.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Goanna

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2023, 11:26:45 PM »
Ha!! What an interesting and fun find hahaha

Offline shabbychicdee

• Trade Count: (+85)
  • MOC Mimic
  • professional thrifter and treasure hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2023, 02:53:14 AM »
classic frankenponies :D that takes me back to the wild things we found in the early g4 stage.
great find btw.   butterscotchskydancer has such a long neck :lol: gloystarshine looks cool

seeking retro MLP and Care Bear tin lunch boxes
wanted list
for trade

Offline sweetstuff85

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Magic Fantasy Hair Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2023, 11:28:14 AM »
So interesting. Curious to see what you get!!

This is just like the end of the links princess and flutter ponies in the UK.

Offline BubbleTea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
    • Must Collect Horses
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2023, 06:07:37 PM »
These are all so interesting and funny! Especially Tickle/Blossom (Blickle?)  :P
Sigs by SquarePeg and starrynights
:nerdy: :nerdy: :nerdy:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal