collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Pony grail success stories  (Read 991 times)

Offline kingluke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • The Great King of Lucia
    • View Profile
Pony grail success stories
« on: May 26, 2023, 02:53:13 AM »
Hello everyone,

I feel a little down as my grail pony (piggy algodoncete)keeps slipping through my fingers. Especially since money is tight now. So I thought people could share stories about how they got their grail.

All gens welcome, I'm looking for some nice stories :)
Lover of Windwhistler

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Pony grail success stories
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2023, 05:12:59 AM »
While I was still on Facebook (I gave it up years ago now) I noticed somebody had a Greek Lambaditsa for sale, at the right time money-wise. I asked if I could make multiple payments on the Pony, & if the Pony could be insured. The seller had to add a weight to the package to have it insured, & agreed to take the payment in instalments. Lambaditsa was my entire Pony budget for 2 months, but she was worth it!!! She sits in my stable wearing a Greek tea party outfit. I still love her!!!
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline kingluke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • The Great King of Lucia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2023, 05:39:53 AM »
While I was still on Facebook (I gave it up years ago now) I noticed somebody had a Greek Lambaditsa for sale, at the right time money-wise. I asked if I could make multiple payments on the Pony, & if the Pony could be insured. The seller had to add a weight to the package to have it insured, & agreed to take the payment in instalments. Lambaditsa was my entire Pony budget for 2 months, but she was worth it!!! She sits in my stable wearing a Greek tea party outfit. I still love her!!!

Love the story. She is gorgeous :)
Lover of Windwhistler

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2023, 08:17:45 AM »
Mine was Re Unicorno, never dreamed I'd get him. When the Delaneys were selling their collection, I asked if they had him and they did... :)

Offline Queen Sophie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
  • Shy Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2023, 03:55:53 PM »
I remember after my horse back riding lesson I think I wasn’t in a good mood so I checked on buyee to look for Takara ponies and I did find one! The starting bid was $700 and I don’t like bidding cause I get so nervous doing them so I had my uncle bid for me since he is good at that but it no else bid on her so I only got her for $700, since this was from Japan and how they do packages a little differently there my uncle was so worried we got scammed but we didn’t! I recorded myself opening the box and I was so happy! My dream pony came true! I’ve been told it’s not likely to get an authentic Takara pony but I was too stubborn to take no for an answer haha and now I’m extremely happy Milky’s in my life! <3

Offline Lady Frostbite

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Absolutely Abbeylicious!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2023, 08:52:57 AM »
I let a G2 Bride slip me by on eBay, but was lucky enough to spot another, even if she has some symbol rub! I thought this would be one where I'd have to look but never get, and I still love her despite her silvery (instead of gold) foils and left-hand rub!

Signature image artwork done by the talented Starscout!
MLP Gameloft game friend code : 29c831

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2023, 03:51:00 AM »
I've been really lucky with a lot of my ponies, to the point that I never had to really identify one as a grail. I was collecting a lot back in the late 90s and early 2000s when most ponies were a lot more common, so it was easier to get ponies by trade and I didn't have many that sat around for ages and ages at the top of my wishlist, seemingly unattainable. Even Sweet Scoops I lucked out with because a friend kept her for me for like 2 years until I could save up to buy her.

I do also have one that continuously gets away. 25 years and counting, baby sugarcake -_-) I just refuse to pay the $$$ amount and the import duty when I have other things to spend money on, and her price goes up at a higher rate than my income ;)

Brazilian paradise was one of the real grails I did have. That was because as a kid I wrote stories about Paradise, Magic Star and CJ, not knowing that the Paradise in the fact file/promo material never existed. I have the SS but we didn't have those in the UK when I was a kid, so Brazil Paradise is the closest official pony to how I imagined her as a kid. I bought her from a lovely person here on the Arena, and she has been a proud part of my collection ever since :D

I've also got some very precious MIP ponies which are throwbacks to my childhood. UK packaged stuff is a lot harder to find in the older releases, but I have some pretty awesome childhood ponies moc like Snowflake and Cherries Jubilee. One of my more precious is Strawberry Fair, since there are not many Party (TAF) ponies mip on UK card that survive. I had the US carded ("Sugarberry") for a while but it felt wrong - the card was wrong and the pony name was wrong. So when I finally managed to nail a proper UK carded Strawberry Fair, that felt good. Still have some childhood ponies to go on that list though ;) Here she is.

I don't have a problem with US names as a general thing, but I don't like them in my collection, and especially not when it's a childhood pony.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2023, 03:52:45 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2023, 10:26:43 AM »
Dazzleglow-I owned her as a kid, and when I started looking for her was dismayed at the prices she was commanding. My bf paid for half of her. She was only $40.

MO Star hopper-I like to call this my Love is Blind grail. I was looking and found her for $20. I was so excited about buying her, that I did not even notice the massive mane cut or the rust explosion. Spent a little extra to get her re-haired and it took me a few hours to clean her up but she was worth it.

Pearly Seaswirl-The pearly ponies were very scarce in my area. Not even the pearly mane suxx showed up in stores often, I was very happy to see her at Big Lots.

SS Twilight-I found her for $40 +SnH and her hair was still pink at the time of purchase. She's lovely.

Baby Drummer-My bf bought him for me as a surprise. He was my first baby brother.

Ice Crystal-He's not the real deal being a custom commission, but idc he's gorgeous and good enough for me. I could never have owned him otherwise.

Trucker-A very kind pony friend on the arena gifted him to me. :lovey:

Baby Racer-My bf bought him for me. Handsome little lad.

Port-o-bella: I had asked my bf if he'd buy her for me for Xmas. Later I told him not to bother, because someone had already grabbed her. Turns out that he was the one who had. I was delighted.

Sapphire Joy-See Seaswirl story only I found her at dollar general.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2023, 10:31:37 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Flitter

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2023, 04:48:05 PM »
I was scrolling ebay during a break between clients at work and did a double take on her.
I remember having to message the seller about something, adding insurance I think, and was so nervous the sale wouldn't go through somehow.
Everything turned out fine though. I'm still absolutely amazed to have her.

I try to have an "If it's meant to be, it'll be." attitude about rare or hard to get collectibles but it can be sooo frustrating.
Good luck getting your grail someday  :hope:

Offline cowboyopossum

• Trade Count: (0)
  • So Soft Pony
  • I cannot contain my silliness | he/him
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2023, 07:31:50 PM »
I was scrolling ebay during a break between clients at work and did a double take on her.
I remember having to message the seller about something, adding insurance I think, and was so nervous the sale wouldn't go through somehow.
Everything turned out fine though. I'm still absolutely amazed to have her.

I try to have an "If it's meant to be, it'll be." attitude about rare or hard to get collectibles but it can be sooo frustrating.
Good luck getting your grail someday  :hope:
woah! is she a prototype? she is beautiful! congrats!!!  :newpony:

Thank you Squarepeg and Wizard for my profile and sig!

Offline Flitter

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2023, 08:42:41 PM »

woah! is she a prototype? she is beautiful! congrats!!!  :newpony:
Yes, she is a prototype  ^.^

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2023, 12:25:18 PM »
one of my grail was the mom with the tiny twin ponies, I bought her, she vanished off the radar then arrived a week late with half her shipping label torn off. I joke they too a vacation/shortcut before arriving .

Offline sweetstuff85

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Magic Fantasy Hair Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2023, 10:22:59 AM »
I bought Munchy during the early days of the pandemic in 2020 on the Arena. The seller said she was 60 Euros. I thought that was expensive because I just got back into collecting after many years away from the community. I bought a bushwoolie and TE tic Tac toe from her as well. She gave me great deals on those too, but I didn’t realize at the time.

Knowing now that Munchy goes for like 200 USD I’m shocked. Her price might have fallen a bit as all prices seem to be going down from the pandemic highs, but Munchy was the first pony I bought for myself and I realize that it was a lucky score.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal