collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: For the feathers that were ruffled yesterday RE: EQD April Fools  (Read 3889 times)

DJ Midli

• Trade Count: (0)

http://www.hasbro.com/mylittlepony/en_US/2012/04/afternoon-edition-nightly-roundup-279.html

Quote from: Sethisto/EQD

A Note on Older Gen Ponies

It seems we angered the older gen people a bit with our April Fools gag, and we do apologize for that!  It wasn't our intention to insult any of you.

There were also a pretty large amount of negative comments about the older ponies. I admit, I was also to blame for some of them (Celestia/Twilight weight jokes for example).  I ask that the actual g4 bronies who took part in the harassment please cut it back now that the event is over.   The older gen folks were here first, and have hundreds of talented artists in their ranks.  Bombing their Deviant Art pages and forums is just straight up uncool.

Peace :)
[/u]

Offline fingerpaints

• Makin' a mess pony
  • Trade Count: (+72)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • manahmanah :D
    • View Profile
Re: For the feathers that were ruffled yesterday RE: EQD April Fools
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 04:52:24 PM »
This is kinda the reason why alot of the "oldies" have a hard time adjusting to the "new" croud, because they can be, as a group, quiet rude and insulting. I am not saying that for all newbies, just a select few. I really don't understand why they can't just slot in like everyone else did, we were ALL new at one stage, and none of us seemed to have the sense of entitlement that some of the newbies do.

Not trying to turn this into an us against them, but I do not understand why everyone can't treat each other with a bit of respect.

Offline Chi

• Trade Count: (+64)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Shame on them, mistreating such lovely flowers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 04:54:23 PM »
...I'm glad they apologized, at least.
Still LF: Blue-haired G2 Ivy..Help me find my childhood friend!
Have you seen her? :awake:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 04:54:38 PM »
Nice to see! It didn't bother me that much to see the G4-only crowd wailing away on previous gens-- kids will be kids, no matter what their actual age is, but it is nice to see this statement. It was just an innocent joke in the end that a few people (on both sides) took too seriously. Let's just hope we can put this behind us. :) It's hard being both a lover of previous gens and one who identifies herself as a brony when events like this make me feel very stuck in the middle. D:
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline ashes

• Forever Orange Site Mod
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 04:56:04 PM »
I just hope that now everyone can go about enjoying the ponies.   :)

thanks to jupi for my avi and harvestmoongirl for my siggy!

Check out my website: artbyashes.com

Offline lemontwist

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 04:56:44 PM »
Aww I'm glad they put up an apology :) That's nice of them, since some people really did feel offended.
Sales - Pony and Doll Wishlist!

Offline reanna-mator

• MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 04:59:43 PM »
Aww I'm glad they put up an apology :) That's nice of them, since some people really did feel offended.

It is. While it didn't bother me much, it is understandable that some would be really put off by what went down yesterday, so it was very mature to issue the apology. :)

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

arcanescroll

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 05:03:23 PM »
I was just typing up a post about this, glad I checked before hitting "Submit".  So, here's a modified version...

I talked to Seth through email a few times yesterday, he does seem to feel bad about what happened.  Please remember a lot of (most) bornies are young, teens and early twenties, and they don't always act respectfully.  But please don't judge the entire community or the site by the action of some childish trolls, the same ones that leave hurtful comments on a lot of our FIM posts as well.  Equestria Daily tries to maintain a friendly environment for all visitors.  Yes, sometimes they make mistakes, the people running it are young as well, but they are learning and they are trying.

Also, the comments all have voting enabled and the negative comments were voted down real fast, much to the anger of the trolls.  A very large portion of the FIM fanbase does respect the older generations and tried to offset the hurtful comments.

Offline kamakazee82

• HesheR
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • ... i saw a mouse ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 05:04:03 PM »
Nice to see! It didn't bother me that much to see the G4-only crowd wailing away on previous gens-- kids will be kids, no matter what their actual age is, but it is nice to see this statement. It was just an innocent joke in the end that a few people (on both sides) took too seriously. Let's just hope we can put this behind us. :) It's hard being both a lover of previous gens and one who identifies herself as a brony when events like this make me feel very stuck in the middle. D:

... it isn't an "innocent joke" when its trashing people's personal pages and ripping on people's art who were dragged into it unknowingly by the whims of others ...

and "Please cut it back?" how about "Knock it off!" ... i mean i'm glad someone is at least attempting to apologize, but far too little, way too late in my book ... i'm all for them having their own little "g4 only schtick", just leave everyone else alone ...
"Doth mother know you weareth her drapes?"

Taeyang and MLP are my drugs of choice ... that and the mountain dew flowing through my veins ... LIKE RADIOACTIVE RUBBER PANTS!

Offline reanna-mator

• MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2012, 05:05:46 PM »

... it isn't an "innocent joke" when its trashing people's personal pages and ripping on people's art who were dragged into it unknowingly by the whims of others ...

and "Please cut it back?" how about "Knock it off!" ... i mean i'm glad someone is at least attempting to apologize, but far too little, way too late in my book ... i'm all for them having their own little "g4 only schtick", just leave everyone else alone ...

We're really going to do this again? :| I'm out.

ZettaMomo

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2012, 05:06:06 PM »
That's really great to see them apologizing. I dislike seeing things like this happen because I feel like it gives some of the older fans a bad view on the newer fans.

I hope you guys know that not all young pony folk are like this. I am 17 and I respect all gens (obviously). I think many of the bronies that hate on the older gens see some of the fans doing it and start a 'herd mentality' about it. Silly, I know.
 :silly:

Offline PandaBerryInSpace

• Trade Count: (+72)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2012, 05:06:41 PM »
I'm glad they apologized, at least. :)

Avatar art by January Joy, siggy art by DreamCatcher! Thank you so much! <3

ACNL FC: 3754 6763 3133

arcanescroll

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2012, 05:12:33 PM »

He never asked anyone to attack artist pages, including source links for all art and customs when known is the policy on the site so the artists can be found by people who like the work.

If he had come down on the few people who did the attacks, it would have resulted in more attacks out of spite.  He's dealing with rebellious teens, it takes careful wording sometimes to calm things.  He's just trying to apologize and stop any future trouble in the only way possible.

Personally, I think the whole "us vs. them" stuff is childish on both sides and should stop.  It's why I stopped visiting here a while back, the constant hate toward the current generation and its fans was rather upsetting to me.

Offline okapishomapi

• Programming Pony
  • Trade Count: (+68)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • NERD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2012, 05:14:22 PM »
...kids will be kids...

Maybe this is something we all need to remind ourselves - many of the people in the crowd that hangs out on EqD are much younger than us. Maybe they just haven't gotten through their rough teenage years! I remember how angry and judgmental I was at 16 :blush:

Thank you, taxel and Antlercat!
Okapi's Want List ~ Fishmeal Ref ~ Shomapi Ref

Offline SourdoughStomper

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • grain free and pain free
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2012, 05:18:22 PM »
I appreciate the apology. Thanks for sharing it.

And I would prefer NOT to have to lock this thread due to another heated argument. Please keep it calm and collected in here and remember the old saying "if you can't say anything nice - exit the thread." Thank you.
 Credit to Shaiyeh for avatar.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal