collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Anybody have tips for whitening yellowed so-soft glue?  (Read 701 times)

Makaroni_the_pony

• Trade Count: (0)
Anybody have tips for whitening yellowed so-soft glue?
« on: January 15, 2017, 10:50:15 AM »
I just bought these two girls on Etsy

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I mainly bought the batch for Shady cause she's adorable, lol, and after cleaning her up she's turned out to be in really good condition except for a scratch on her face and rub on her ear

At one point I had both their manes pretty smooth but I decided to wash them after doing that so then I had to pull their tails out and mess it all up again lol. It was late so I didn't rebrush and condition it afterwards, so I'll have to do it after I've finished with their bodies

Anyway, back to the point of this post uvu

Sundance also cleaned up pretty well, all of the black spots on her have almost entirely washed off, and probably will with another oxiclean scrub. But since her flocking is much thinner than shady's, and she's white, it's way more obvious on her that her glue has gone yellow, and I was wondering if there was anyway to fix that.

Sunfading maybe? Does that work on so softs?

I'll post updated pictures of these two in a bit, when I've fixed their manes and stuff lol, for now I just thought I'd ask you guys if you knew anything that helped. I've read that you can use very mild bleach water to fix the dingieness, but I was worried I'd ruin her mane
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 11:11:15 AM by Makaroni_the_pony »

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Anybody have tips for whitening yellowed so-soft glue?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 03:27:26 PM »
From my experience, sunfading makes the glue yellow more. Also, be careful with oxyclean since it's often used to remove flocking entirely.

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 04:14:27 PM »
I find that a cold oxyclean bath is safer if you intend to keep the flocking, but make it hot if you want flocking gone.

However if you've already done an oxy bath, I'm not sure I'd risk another one, it may weaken her glue altogether. As for the yellowing, I have no helpful ideas. Sunfading would make it worse. Has anyone tried a different non-oxygenated bleaching agent? Would it weaken the glue or yellow it more if applied gently with a toothbrush?

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Makaroni_the_pony

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 04:27:34 PM »
If all else fails I may just deflock her in the end, since she's going on my play shelf anyway, but I love the fuzzy ponies lol, so I may also just leave her as she is even with the bit of yellowing uvu.

And thanks for the tips on oxiclean, I knew better than to boil her, but there's still lots I have to learn about its effects on flocking, glue, and the ponies in general before I'll be comfortable working with some display condition horses

If anybody has any other tips or info to share I'd love to hear it

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2017, 04:58:39 PM »
Keep her out of the light! I know this sounds kind of crazy, but I have a Sundance who used to have absolutely horrid yellowed glue on her face. It was so bad she was sold for like $1 or so in 2011. I bought her because her yellow glue face made me feel so bad for her. This is the only photo I can find of her:

When she arrived I did nothing but admire her and put her on display. After a while of being openly displayed in my bedroom she was placed in the back of my "display case", completely shaded from direct light at all times. In November 2016, after years of being on the dark shelf, I pulled her out for her first spa day. At first glance I didn't think it was the same pony! The only reason I knew it was her without a doubt was her lovely curls.

I gave her a very gentle cold Oxyclean bath, soak, scrub, and conditioning. She came out even lighter and so plush! Unfortunately these photos are NOT true to her real life color because its almost impossible to get natural light in winter (so she appears a lot more yellow than she really is) but the difference is still very obvious. She no longer has huge streaks of dark glue over her face. She's beautiful! Even if she still has a bit of yellowing, I'm thrilled I just let her be.

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2017, 05:04:20 PM »
Awesome story! Give her the drawer treatment then! I'd probably wrap her in a acid-free white tissue and pop her in the back of my least-used drawer for a good while!

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Makaroni_the_pony

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2017, 05:06:51 PM »
Oh my goshh, that's so interesting! And you're right, she does look absolutely lovely now <3

I think I'm gonna try itt, cause now my interest is super piqued

We'll call it #reverse-sunfading

Also I bought these two for a similar reason, lol, I have a tendency to feel bad for sad ponies, hence why I like to buy baits, so it's one of my reasons for wanting to perfect restoration so bad

Offline Shy Violet

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2017, 05:49:37 PM »
The picture doesn't really convey how yellow she is but you can get an idea compared to Birthday Pony behind her. This is SS Gusty after a cold oxy bath and some gentle finger scrubbing and dish soap. She came to me very dirty and looks much better after her bath. I think she does look whiter after the oxy bath. She's been sunfading since October but it's winter so not much sunlight here. She's up in a high up window and I haven't checked on her in a long time so fingers crossed that she didn't go more yellow after reading this thread. I'll try to get a new pic of her tomorrow to compare.

Makaroni_the_pony

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2017, 05:50:41 PM »
The picture doesn't really convey how yellow she is but you can get an idea compared to Birthday Pony behind her. This is SS Gusty after a cold oxy bath and some gentle finger scrubbing and dish soap. She came to me very dirty and looks much better after her bath. I think she does look whiter after the oxy bath. She's been sunfading since October but it's winter so not much sunlight here. She's up in a high up window and I haven't checked on her in a long time so fingers crossed that she didn't go more yellow after reading this thread. I'll try to get a new pic of her tomorrow to compare.

Crossing my fingers for you!

Offline Shy Violet

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2017, 06:14:07 PM »

Crossing my fingers for you!

So I did go peek at her and I had her laying on her side. The side that is up does look whiter than the side facing down. Hopefully this summer she can get more progress with the sun out.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 06:32:27 PM by Shy Violet »

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2017, 09:39:04 PM »
Oh my goshh, that's so interesting! And you're right, she does look absolutely lovely now <3

I think I'm gonna try itt, cause now my interest is super piqued

We'll call it #reverse-sunfading

Also I bought these two for a similar reason, lol, I have a tendency to feel bad for sad ponies, hence why I like to buy baits, so it's one of my reasons for wanting to perfect restoration so bad

I hope it works for her! I can't say if it works on all-over yellowed glue really, since I didn't pay that much attention or document anything, but its definitely a method that deserves more research.

Haha, that's how I get most of my ponies! I mostly collect "baits" because I like to rescue the poor, sad ponies. I actually liked how unique my yellowed Sundance was so I'd never even thought about attempting to lighten it. Though I must admit, she looks a lot happier now!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2017, 10:54:02 AM »
Spray bottle Oxyclean works well
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2017, 02:00:07 PM »
If all else fails I may just deflock her in the end, since she's going on my play shelf anyway, but I love the fuzzy ponies lol, so I may also just leave her as she is even with the bit of yellowing uvu.

And thanks for the tips on oxiclean, I knew better than to boil her, but there's still lots I have to learn about its effects on flocking, glue, and the ponies in general before I'll be comfortable working with some display condition horses

If anybody has any other tips or info to share I'd love to hear it

I had a So Soft Twilight with bad yellowing over all of her body. It made her coloring look drab and gray, so I deflocked her. Don't regret it at all, she looks so much better. :) If you do end up deflocking, that is. Good luck either way!
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal