collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Moving Time - Pony Room!  (Read 1072 times)

Offline tuneful87

• Shmexy Stallion
  • Trade Count: (+94)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
Moving Time - Pony Room!
« on: February 23, 2014, 08:04:08 AM »
My dream of having a toy room (MLP, Monster High, Littlest Pet Shop, Fashion Star Fillies, and action figures) is becoming one step closer to reality. Yesterday I viewed a great apartment that has a second bedroom! It's on the small side and could probably only adequately hold a twin or full bed at the most, but I think it'll be perfect for my toys. I'll need to buy a few more display cases and perhaps shelving, but I'll probably be able to display most of my collection. So many of my ponies are in boxes, and so this will be FABULOUS!

I have A LOT of toys to pack. If I had to give an estimate, I'd say just under 1,000 total...roughly 100 monster high, 250 LPS, and 400 ponies (I haven't counted in ages).

How should I pack my ponies? I really hate the idea of putting each in a plastic baggy, as I try to be as 'green' as possible. Is it ok to pack them side by side? I can't move until April but I want to get a move on with my collectibles. In the end, they'll probably be boxed for two months at the least, and some of them possibly longer until I find the perfect displays for them.

All thoughts and experience on the subject is very much appreciated!

Offline shindow

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
    • Derpy's Scrapbook: Collecting Ditsy Doo
Re: Moving Time - Pony Room!
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 09:57:43 AM »
I second a search for advice... I'm moving in a month and have yet to pack my ponies. I know not to use newspaper (did that once and marks were all over my evangelion stuff), and typically stick with old grocery plastic bags and bubblewrap... or in worse case scenario, clothes, to prevent damage.

I can't afford rubber tins or anything so we use bananna boxes to pack everything.
Collecting :muffin: Pony / Ditsy Doo?
Check out her latest releases, news, and reviews at:
www.derpyscrapbook.blogspot.com
- The :muffin: Pony collector expert. And I love My Little Pony Tales. And Muffins.

Offline Rhubarbpie

• Trade Count: (+70)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 10:13:33 AM »
Congrats on the pony room/new apartment Tuney!!

Hmm moving/storing livestock can be tricky. 

Firstly, I would segregate all custom dolls/ponies - particularly FBR's - and put them in baggies to lessen the chances of paint/dye transfer. 

Next put ponies in boxes (plastic storage boxes rather than cardboard boxes cos they are stronger) according to body color to lessen the chances of color transfer.  Also tie the hair back on ponies with strong hair colors (Sugarberry Red and Surprise yellow for example) again to lessen color transfer. 

*hint, can you tell what my worst pony nightmare is  :lookround:  *

I'd also bag up any ponies/dolls with loose bits and accessories (earrings etc). Nothing worse than opening a box and taking out the dolls/ponies and finding a handful of bits in the bottom without knowing what it came off. 

And most importantly, don't forget pics!!!  Us mortals with just a couple of shelves need dreamy material to drool over  :biggrin:

Have fun xx

Offline Elfpony

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+71)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 10:20:28 AM »
If you're really concerned about colour transfer, you can separate the ponies with white, acid free tissue paper. It will protect them and you can either recycle it or reuse it later.

Elf

Offline Khema

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 10:25:29 AM »
Wrapping in clothes works well, but I'm not sure you have enough clothes for 1000 toys!

Offline Caroline

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 11:13:31 AM »
I've used bedsheets when packing mine, kind of weaving the sheet between layers of ponies.

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 11:47:04 AM »
Well I am not going to be much help with this. When I was in middles school I lost interest in my ponies. But my mom would not let me get rid of my toys. I stuck them all in a box and did not get back to them till after high school. I did not have anything between them at all. I had no issues with them at all. There was no colors transferred over and no makes. When I had to store mine I just had them all standing up right in the same pose. No issues there. I hope you get the place of your dreams and look luck with moving. Hope you have lots of help!  :)

Offline ashes

• Forever Orange Site Mod
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 12:59:19 PM »
I've had the majority of my G1s (which is over 900 ponies) packed in plastic bins in my garage for YEARS.  (I can only display a few at a time in my curio cabinet in my bedroom).  And I've never had any issues with paint transfer.  Or mold or smooze.  So I think putting them all in a bin for a month or two while you move and get organized won't harm them.

But I would pack the more fragile toys (like any customs or restorations, and the FSFs) with white tissue paper or white 100% cotton cloth, just to protect them better.

Can't wait to see pictures of your toy room once you are all settled!  I'm sure it will look fabulous.  :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

thanks to jupi for my avi and harvestmoongirl for my siggy!

Check out my website: artbyashes.com

Offline tuneful87

• Shmexy Stallion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2014, 01:08:38 PM »
Good suggestions everyone!

I'm really excited. I need to start looking into ideas for the display cases. While I have two large pieces, they're really suited for a living/dining area. I'll have to check out ikea's website...

I did a pony count...388 total which isn't so bad. I just hope there's enough room for all of them as well as my other toys! Ideally I'd like at least one piece with doors, or sliding doors, so I can protect certain ponies (particularly my Red Roses) from the sun.

Offline MLPWhitney

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+149)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2014, 01:26:33 PM »
Good luck with the move, Tuney! :hug: Are you staying in the area?
My :heart: belongs to wacky G1 merchandise!

Offline tuneful87

• Shmexy Stallion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2014, 01:42:02 PM »
Good luck with the move, Tuney! :hug: Are you staying in the area?

Yes, just a better part of the neighborhood!

I plan to have an apartment warming later this year...you should come. You'll get to see the room.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 01:43:58 PM by tuneful87 »

Offline ladyfenrir

• Trade Count: (+139)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.furaffinity.net/user/ladyfenrir/
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2014, 01:58:02 PM »
99% of my g1 collection is stored away in cardboard boxes for several years now, due to lack of space. I only have my nirvanas on display. I regularly go through the boxes, and there've never been any problems with any of them. :D they all just sit snugly next to each other.
~*~ladyfenrir's G1 wish list~*~

Formerly known as "svarta-perlan"

Offline Foxtale

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2014, 04:57:10 PM »
I actually just did this. Luckily a majority were already packed or were MIB.

But for my ponies that were once on shelves here is my advice:

For items you know will only be in boxes for a few months just packing in a Tupperware/Rubbermaid (plastic tub) with Silica packets taped to the lid (don't cover the whole packet in tape so that it can do its job) is more than fine (no baggies, no tissue paper, etc) . I used shallow plastic boxes for some of mine (like the under the bed boxes) so I could stand them up next to eachother in the box.  Grouping ponies together that are alike (G3, scented, white unicorns, etc) helps not only in space but also cuts down on chances of cross contamination. 

As for more fragile ones or ones you expect to be in boxes longer, I highly recommend picking up some Acid Free Tissue paper from some place like amazon.  It may seem expensive but a little can go a long way and it really gives you a good piece of mind so you don't have to worry about your collection.  To make the tissue paper last more, instead of wrapping each pony individually, I laid a sheet down, and then put ponies on it, laid down another sheet. Basically making almost a pony layer cake.

Basically a good shopping list is: plastic bins, silica packs and acid free tissue paper.

Good luck and congratulations! Make sure to share pictures once its all setup. :D
~Foxtale~

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2014, 06:02:56 PM »
Those are all great suggestions. I can't wait to see how you organize everything Tuney, big congrats on the new place!

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline FarDreamer

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • The "Mystery" Pony from Firefly's Adventure!
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Preservation Project
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2014, 06:23:28 PM »
I moved my ponies in cardboard boxes with kleenexes in-between them from Indiana to Michigan then to Virginia then from an apartment to our house and had no problems.  It was probably more than 2 years before they came out of their boxes and they were fine.  They were laying on their sides with the kleenexes on both sides of them.

I saved the kleenexes for the next time I needed to pack them up, which was sooner than expected when we ended up with a renter.  That was probably another 2 years and they were fine again.

It was a lot of kleenexes.  I'm pretty sure they're in a box in the attic waiting for the next time I have to pack my collection up.  If you don't have the space to save your boxes and packing materials for any future moves, then I'm pretty sure kleenexes are recyclable.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart:  www.MLPpreservationproject.com  :heart:
A comprehensive resource for information on the restoration
of ponies, accessories, and playsets from all generations!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal