collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How do they do that with the hair?  (Read 4318 times)

Offline ringlets_

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: How do they do that with the hair?
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2012, 05:13:37 PM »
If you need tighter curls (Goldilocks, Candy Cane Ponies, etc) drinking straws and hairpins work great. 
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

http://www.mlparena.com/gallery2/v/Collections/album105/
http://s126.photobucket.com/albums/p117/ringlets_1
Current pony count 1,101 - 519 G1, 23 G2, 407 G3, 14 G3.5, 139 G4. Plus a lot of duplicates. Also doesn't include blind bags, petites, dream beauties, etc.

Offline DoctorMowinckel

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • A good companion in a weird sort of way.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.edwardrmowinckel.com
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2012, 05:19:11 PM »
One of my friends wrote a styling tutorial for my blag, you can read it here; http://ponies.doctormowinckel.com/?p=38

If that's too long, brush all the knots out of your ponies manes, then brush some more, brush their manes a lot, give them a rinse or a dip on some warm water, apply some conditioner, rinse out, and either wrap it around their neck or legs, or let it dry straight. That's the simplest way of getting pony hair silky & shiny.

I have a blag about ponies.

Offline babystarz

• Trade Count: (+37)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2012, 05:52:31 PM »

Alrighty, somewhat on topic - how do you get the hair shiny?  I've not had any luck with really bringing out the shine of the hair.  (Spoosh's ponies come to mind!)
For shiny hair I use a shampoo and conditioner that contain olive oil ;)  For some reason the Walgreen's near me had Fekkai products in stock temporarily and I grabbed them on clearance. I'm sure any brand with olive oil would help shine up pony hair ^^ If you want to go uber-shiny you might want to find a cheap glossing cream as well.  Spoosh's ponies do have gorgeous hair, and it's just as luxurious and shiny in person :)  I think Spoosh is just a pro after years of practice ^^

If you do use a straightener, be sure to set it on the lowest heat setting. And use a ceramic (not metal coated with ceramic) straightener if you can. It will heat the hair strands more evenly and cause less damage (and less chance of melting).

I also grabbed a cheap set of velcro-style curlers at Walgreen's (I keep my own hair straight so I didn't have any curlers), with some larger sizes for adult ponies and smaller ones for babies. I really like them and they were $8 or something for a set of 25. I personally avoid bidding on ponies with tight curls because a lot of sellers use that trick to hide frizzy ends, but the velcro curlers create slightly looser curls that make it obvious nothing is being hidden.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 06:02:44 PM by babystarz »

Offline coinoperatedgirl

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I paint stuff.
    • View Profile
    • Coin-Operated Customs
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2012, 06:19:55 PM »
I use a shower gel that I found on a clearance shelf a year ago - it's made with patchouli oil and my husband hates the smell and won't use it, but it seems to make pony hair crazy shiny.  I actually washed two ponies last night, one with the gel and the other without it, and the difference is INSANE.

Offline Queen Eclipsia

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2012, 11:50:57 AM »
Conditioner and a brush works wonders. Pat dry any strong haircolours well. Chartreuse (surprise, shady) is one of those colours that can transfer easily.

Don't forget to really allow things to dry after you wash the hair. If you need these sold soon, wiping the hair down with a damp cloth may be your best bet. I've known a number of people who unknowingly bought freshly washed ponies. Perfect when packed, moldy and dank on the other end. :S and no matter how hard you try, enough water to cause problems will get in.

This recently happened with a SS Scrumptious I won on ebay...mold spots all over her body :( She was minty, too....at least the seller was kind enough to give me a refund.

Post Merge: March 14, 2012, 12:03:28 PM

Leaving conditioner in the hair while using my straightener actually CAUSED to melt some hair on my ponies..
And it just made it frizzier. I don't understand this method. XD

It's possible you had the heat setting too high. I wash hair with Dawn dishwashing soap, then rinse and slather on conditioner. Then, using a metal dog comb, i comb through while conditioner is still in because it makes it SOOO much easier to comb. After all the knots are out, I rinse out the conditioner with cool water, then re-add it and use my regular iron on LOW...I press the iron down on the hair starting at the base near her rump, then pull the PONY out from under the iron, never leaving the iron in one spot. Rewet and repeat until desired smoothness is obtained. Always keep the hair wet and well saturated with conditioner. So far I have manged to tame the most frizzy of all ponies - a super-long haired G3 Rainbow Flash that seemed to have dreads -now she is smooth and silky!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 12:03:28 PM by Queen Eclipsia »

Offline saply

• Stupid Newbie
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+138)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • my star barrettes are FABULOUS
    • View Profile
    • ~*~tumblr~**~
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2012, 12:08:09 PM »
Sometimes it's a matter of the camera, too. XD Using a flash will make nylon hair look practically luminescent.

Offline WickedWonderland

• Trade Count: (+215)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Okie Dokie Lokie
    • View Profile
    • Flickr - Pony Sales
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2012, 02:40:41 PM »
And if your afraid that you melt the hair with the flatiron you could leave in the conditioner in the hair when using the iron! Works wonders!! I tried last week at some really frizzy frizzzzz hair and the hair is so much better now!
xx
Leaving conditioner in the hair while using my straightener actually CAUSED to melt some hair on my ponies..
And it just made it frizzier. I don't understand this method. XD
I ALWAYS iron with conditioner and I've never had this happen. It might be the conditioner, type of iron, or the temperature you use. :/

toralei

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2012, 02:46:21 PM »
DoctorMowinckel, that was a great read =]

okay, one question for everyone, though. when people talk about using a paper towel secure.... how exactly do you mean that? will it just, like, stay? or do you need a pin..

Offline WickedWonderland

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Okie Dokie Lokie
    • View Profile
    • Flickr - Pony Sales
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2012, 02:59:53 PM »
DoctorMowinckel, that was a great read =]

okay, one question for everyone, though. when people talk about using a paper towel secure.... how exactly do you mean that? will it just, like, stay? or do you need a pin..
I usually wrap a piece of paper towel around the neck and then put a rubber hair band over it. The hair band shouldn't be tight though or it might put a dent in the hair.

Offline JigglesTheCat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2012, 03:03:32 PM »
Since we're on the topic of hair... Does pony hair work like American Girl doll hair? Because there are some tricks I've seen in AG tutorials that did wonders for AG hair, and it would be nice if I could do the same to my ponies ^_^
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 03:14:36 PM by JigglesTheCat »
I took a break from the Arena from a couple months due to school and other things in my life. But I'm back now!

Offline Chi

• Trade Count: (+64)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Shame on them, mistreating such lovely flowers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2012, 03:04:52 PM »
It might be the heat temperature and I use a Chi ceramic straightener.  I usually have it at around 170 and it never melts it unless it's wet. It happened to a set of my twins and I'm just heartbroken since they're so cute. It seems to work just fine when it's dry so I'll stick to that. My poor little Italy Surprise had TERRIBLE hair and now it looks like she's been rehaired or something, it's so straight!! :)

Also yes, conditioners/shampoos with Olive/Avacado oil work wonders!
Still LF: Blue-haired G2 Ivy..Help me find my childhood friend!
Have you seen her? :awake:

Offline WickedWonderland

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Okie Dokie Lokie
    • View Profile
    • Flickr - Pony Sales
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2012, 03:12:26 PM »
It might be the heat temperature and I use a Chi ceramic straightener.  I usually have it at around 170 and it never melts it unless it's wet. It happened to a set of my twins and I'm just heartbroken since they're so cute. It seems to work just fine when it's dry so I'll stick to that. My poor little Italy Surprise had TERRIBLE hair and now it looks like she's been rehaired or something, it's so straight!! :)

That's strange... I use a ceramic (Sedu) on 250 degrees. In my experience, wet hair is not good though. When I just used water it made my MM Cuddles' hair sizzle and get frizzy. I just get the hair damp and use lots of conditioner.

Offline DaffyDilly

• Daffy loves mints
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+85)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2012, 03:13:37 PM »
I have stopped paper towelling manes to make them dry right.

Instead, I brush it several times over the course of the day or two while it dries. I do it with a nit comb (headlice comb, very fine teeth) and keep every hair perfect so they dry immaculately, without risking rat tails or clumps of hair lying where they shouldn't.

It's the only way I've found to replicate that smooth sleek curve that Hasbro original G1s have, where it curves perfectly around the neck all the way down the mane. :)

Offline Chi

• Trade Count: (+64)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Shame on them, mistreating such lovely flowers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2012, 03:16:53 PM »

That's strange... I use a ceramic (Sedu) on 250 degrees. In my experience, wet hair is not good though. When I just used water it made my MM Cuddles' hair sizzle and get frizzy. I just get the hair damp and use lots of conditioner.
Huh, maybe it was just the hair the twins had..? It didn't burn any of the others... Just them.
Still LF: Blue-haired G2 Ivy..Help me find my childhood friend!
Have you seen her? :awake:

Offline babystarz

• Trade Count: (+37)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2012, 03:24:21 PM »
  Then, using a metal dog comb, i comb through while conditioner is still in because it makes it SOOO much easier to comb.

Oh my gosh I never would have thought to us a dog comb, but it would be perfect!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal