collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Look familiar?  (Read 3145 times)

Offline StarSwirl05

• Pearlized G3 Prototype Pony
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Njyugioh
Re: Look familiar?
« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2017, 04:24:51 PM »
Huh. Never noticed the carvings in the background, let alone that they were G1. Wonder how the Mane Six will react.

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2017, 05:12:29 PM »
I agree with the G1 cartoons/ storybooks being different cannons. In the G1 storybooks Moondancer and Baby Moondancer can glow in the dark. Although we've seen both Moondancer and Baby Moondancer in the cartoons but they've never glowed in the animation. The My Little Pony Adventure Book indicated that Apppejack is a little younger than the other full grown ponies but we've never seen any evidence of that in the cartoons. The cover of the comic looks interesting and I hope they do have some G1 references in this issue.

Ponyfan
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Bekuno

• Starstruck
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Space Pony Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
    • Art Website
« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2017, 05:53:22 PM »
The topic was moved back to the Corral since the FIM forum is only to focus on the show.  :)
Avatar was drawn by tumblr user Yomirs, sig by LordBlumiere and Sweetpop!  :heart:

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2017, 08:42:38 PM »
I hope there are a lot of G1 shoutouts since it's a "history" comic, although it is true that the comic book covers can be a bit fanciful compared to the interior of the book.  (Like I remember one cover that had Optimus Prime and Pinkie Pie hanging out, lol.  Or maybe she was dressed in an Optimus Prime suit,  can't remember.  Anyway, no OP inside that comic.)
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Bekuno

• Starstruck
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Space Pony Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
    • Art Website
« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2017, 09:03:48 PM »
Yeah I learned really quick that comic covers =/= comic content. Usually one or two covers may give a hint as to whats inside but most are unique artist works for collectors value. There's a couple of MLP comics I have more than one issue of because the cover art was so awesome. So I can't say for sure if there will be any actual G1 callbacks, but I'm personally not getting my hopes up.
Avatar was drawn by tumblr user Yomirs, sig by LordBlumiere and Sweetpop!  :heart:

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2017, 08:19:11 AM »
You're talking about the purple unicorn with the green mane, right? Her horn is also noticeably more pointed and curved than the standard MLP as well! I wonder if she will be a kirin? Or maybe just from a place in Equestria that is Japanese-influenced? I dunno why but I'm getting a Japanese vibe from her.

Oooh, that would be awesome!! Has there been an official Kirin in G4 yet?? I always thought it'd be great to have a "My Little Kirin" hehe :)

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2017, 09:13:12 AM »
Yeah I learned really quick that comic covers =/= comic content. Usually one or two covers may give a hint as to whats inside but most are unique artist works for collectors value. There's a couple of MLP comics I have more than one issue of because the cover art was so awesome. So I can't say for sure if there will be any actual G1 callbacks, but I'm personally not getting my hopes up.

Yeah unfortunately when you get a lot of alternate covers they can turn out to be a bit misleading, because the guests artists aren't necessarily making art for that comic storyline in particular.

I once asked my local comic store guy what is up with all these alternate covers. Obviously one reason is that the comic industry wants to make money, and there are hardcore collectors out there that will spend money to have eeeevery version of a comic. But he also told me some things I didn't consider.

Alternate covers are sometimes done by new artists who need more exposure in the comic world, so this is a chance for their art to be seen and for them to get a fan following, without the commitment of a full comic. It also lets some people who are very well known and talented comic artists dabble in a new fandom they wouldn't normally get to draw in. Like maybe the artist who did the Pinkie/Optimus cover that LadyMoondancer mentioned is regularly a Transformer artist and they got to the chance to dabble in the MLP world by being a guest cover artist.

It's nice to know there are some reasons in the industry for this, other than just making money from collectors. :)
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline Mermaid

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2017, 11:53:55 PM »
You're talking about the purple unicorn with the green mane, right? Her horn is also noticeably more pointed and curved than the standard MLP as well! I wonder if she will be a kirin? Or maybe just from a place in Equestria that is Japanese-influenced? I dunno why but I'm getting a Japanese vibe from her.

Oooh, that would be awesome!! Has there been an official Kirin in G4 yet?? I always thought it'd be great to have a "My Little Kirin" hehe :)

Ooooh a mlp Kirin would be fantastic!!!shes so cute! I hope she's not just a cover pony and never shows up!
Thanks to calico star for my avatar!

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2017, 03:03:31 PM »
Those aren't REAL G1's - those are the retro re-releases from the 2000's.

True but at least it's a G1 reference.

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2017, 03:20:29 PM »
Those aren't REAL G1's - those are the retro re-releases from the 2000's.

True but at least it's a G1 reference.
How pathetic are we that we revel in the scraps thrown to us by IDW?
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal