collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Interesting Escapade with a wild mouse..  (Read 468 times)

Offline aellos

• Girl with the box
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Reluctant warrior
    • View Profile
Interesting Escapade with a wild mouse..
« on: March 14, 2013, 10:48:17 PM »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I dunno what I could do with this little thing.

I heard the cat running around outside of my door and squeaking, so I figured it was a mouse she was chasing. I was hoping when she killed it that she would leave it somewhere for me to find and get rid of it…or that it ran back outside somehow.

Instead she chased/carried it into my room, squeaking/squealing and still alive. Okay…she wasn’t killing the poor thing (which was obviously not doing well) fast enough and I wasn’t having the guts to watch her torture it. (I know, it’s normal for cats, but I’d like not to watch!). So I wrapped it up in an old shirt and carried it outside. I placed it down on the porch and it was quite obvious the poor thing was paralyzed from the waist down. It just kinda looked up at me all sad like. DX

So I moved it out onto the grass and I hope the poor thing has a peaceful death…I really don’t know what to do…but I wasn’t going to be able to stomach watching my cat slowly kill it.

I did wash my hands and toss the shirt afterwards.

Did I do the right thing? There was no way I was keeping it and nursing it to health because of the diseases, my cats, and it would've died of shock. Also...I heard taking it to the vet was an idea, but again, it probably would've of died of shock anyways.

||DevART||Tumblr||Red Pepper Ref||Flickr||
Don't fall reluctant heroes, I want to be brave like you.

from1981

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Interesting Escapade with a wild mouse..
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 11:54:26 PM »
poor little thing.

Offline AnnaPommes

• glow-in-the-dark pony
  • Trade Count: (+62)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Pommes cute things
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 01:03:11 AM »
well, i think it wouldn´t had much of a chance at the vet, so don´t worry. if it was paralyzed, it -could- be that it already had inner injuries, and vets can barely fix that on such a small animal. (had similiar with a hamster once)
in the case that it was still under shock, it might relaxed in the grass and go away safely. ^^ that was probably the case ;)
~ Visit the Pommes-shop ~
www.etsy.com/shop/AnnagretStudio With usefull artprints, cute decor, stationery and crafting kits!
Or linktree with more fancy things!
wonderfull avatar by the lovely Shaiyeh!

Offline Kiwi

• Hippity Hoppity Site Admin
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • ~ Squeewi ~
    • View Profile
    • Kiwi's Paradise
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 03:49:30 AM »
Aww, cute. I probably would've done the same (well.... more like screamed for the hubby to do it). ;)
 Kiwi ref sheet :bunny: *BUNNIES* :bunny: Avatar: Thank you SDS!

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 09:09:09 AM »
I'd have grabbed a cage and kept him until he recovered or died if he didn't recover. Of course I also have tons of experience with and an extreme fondness for rodents in general, wild and pet. I've actually had paralyzed mice before so I wouldn't have had issues with the care if it became long term. Do I think you are horrid for doing things differently? Nope. You had concern for the health of your family and pets. They must always come first. They are the ones you have that unspoken contract with to love, care for, and protect. Unfortunately wild animals die from predator attacks all the time. Even if the mouse doesn't make it, it's not your fault and you shouldn't feel bad. And as was stated if it was just shock, he'll come around and run off, if not, there likely wasn't alot to be done for him.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 10:40:12 AM »
Yea I have to say, I would have taken care of the mouse or taken it to a center. That is a beautiful little creature and I hate the thought that its out there helpless to die a horrible death.  It could live in a little tank...you could feed it or send it to a wildlife center.  Don't feel bad though. Not all of us are care for the wild animal types.  I picked up an injured bat once and my mother had a heart attack.  It didn't bite me, I was fine.  I just love creatures so much...any of them..no bugs...nope..and no sharks!!  They do carry diseases and you are risking things to bring them in as they can make you quite ill if they have fleas.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 10:46:01 AM by tulagirl »

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

Offline Dainty

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • SHS collector ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 10:43:19 AM »
You did the right thing imo. Even if you took him in somewhere, I don't know if there's much they would have been able to do.

Offline aellos

• Girl with the box
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Reluctant warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 10:45:01 AM »
Yea I have to say, I would have taken care of the mouse or taken it to a center. That is a beautiful little creature and I hate the thought that its out there helpless to die a horrible death.  It could live in a little tank...you could feed it or send it to a wildlife center.

Now keep in mind, I have no facilities, or knowladge to take care of the mouse either. I probably would've made it worse if I tried to keep it. Besides, this isn't my house. So I don't think my fiancee's parents would've been happy with that. DX

Offline tulagirl

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 10:47:59 AM »
Yea I have to say, I would have taken care of the mouse or taken it to a center. That is a beautiful little creature and I hate the thought that its out there helpless to die a horrible death.  It could live in a little tank...you could feed it or send it to a wildlife center.

Now keep in mind, I have no facilities, or knowladge to take care of the mouse either. I probably would've made it worse if I tried to keep it. Besides, this isn't my house. So I don't think my fiancee's parents would've been happy with that. DX

Yes, I know. I tried to transport a sick bird once to the bird sanctuary in town but it died in route.  These things just happen.  I am not saying you are a bad person at all.  I just know what I would do. I pass no judgement.

Offline aellos

• Girl with the box
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Reluctant warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2013, 10:51:22 AM »

Yes, I know. I tried to transport a sick bird once to the bird sanctuary in town but it died in route.  These things just happen.  I am not saying you are a bad person at all.  I just know what I would do. I pass no judgement.

I figured :D
Honestly I wish I had the guts to end the poor things life quickly, but I did read that there's a chance that it would've recovered outside. Honestly, if my cat hadn't brought it into my room I would've just let her take care of it. Natures natural course and all.

Offline tulagirl

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2013, 12:05:08 PM »
Hugs...I am sorry you had to go through this.  I remember once there was a rat in my garage and I hit it with something to get it to run out.  Instead it screamed, my heart sank and I had a panic attack over hurting a wild rat.  Picture me crying on the couch and dh comes home and..asks, "what is wrong?"  I sniff sniff hit a rat and it crieeeeeeed! Lol  my husband bursted out in uncontrollable laughter.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 12:06:39 PM by tulagirl »

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2013, 11:53:56 AM »
Hugs...I am sorry you had to go through this.  I remember once there was a rat in my garage and I hit it with something to get it to run out.  Instead it screamed, my heart sank and I had a panic attack over hurting a wild rat.  Picture me crying on the couch and dh comes home and..asks, "what is wrong?"  I sniff sniff hit a rat and it crieeeeeeed! Lol  my husband bursted out in uncontrollable laughter.

I've been like this too.  *hugs*

That's really all you can do - offer it a comforting place in its last moments.  :(  Nature is not wasteful and death is not a finite end as that mouse will become many other wonderful things, so it's not valueless to feel sad about the small loss. 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline babystarz

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2013, 12:32:07 PM »
I probably would have put him down, but I can understand why you wouldn't have the stomach or supplies to do that. I have encountered various injured animals that were too far gone to survive (usually hit by cars) and usually feel the best thing I can do is just end things for them quickly.

I rescued a baby goose once who was rejected by its mother because it had a deformed leg, and intended to bring it to a wildlife center but it died overnight from the stress of the whole experience. So sometimes even when you make the effort for an animal that isn't badly injured it will still not make it anyway. Being around humans can be traumatic.

It sucks to have to see this stuff, but at least you did your best to comfort the little guy and gave him a little love in his last hours. It's more than a lot of people would do.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal