collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: 80s MLP Animation Production Material  (Read 27876 times)

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
Re: 80s MLP Animation Production Material
« Reply #90 on: April 25, 2024, 09:35:33 AM »
listening to the audition reel and omg I can't get over "Bushywushies", that's such a cute mispronunciation ;A;
That Tirac line still fascinates me though. I think it's probably better that they didn't use it (it'd be too confusing out of context) but I just love that at some point they did consider calling back to RaMC.

That Danny dialogue like "did you ever oonsider making a record?" etc, that wasn't in the final film right? I don't remember it - I wonder what the context is. sounds like he's talking to some goons or something?

Also wow I'm glad they went with Russi for Rosedust/Morning Glory. She had the real knack of doing soft, cutesy voices without them being too cloying/obnoxious. Gah, I miss her ;_; The soft way she asks the director to go through it with her, omg. Interesting how her "take 4" voice for Rosedust is basically Morning Glory, I wonder when they switched the two's voices around. (edit: woop I posted while still listening, I hadn't gotten to the point where they outright said "we could use these for Morning Glory or Rosedust" yet. Fascinating :O )

Thanks again for sharing these! It's such a treat to get to hear this part of the process.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2024, 09:39:13 AM by Carrehz »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Rhaegar

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 03, 2024, 10:09:04 AM »
I still have more 1986 series stuff to upload but today please enjoy the script from the 1992 MLP Tales episode Shop Talk. I haven't gone through it at all, just scanned, so no idea if anything might be different inside. This was an original copy signed by the writer of the script, Douglas Booth.

https://archive.org/details/my-little-pony-tales-ep-10-shop-talk-script

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #92 on: July 03, 2024, 01:11:38 PM »
I still have more 1986 series stuff to upload but today please enjoy the script from the 1992 MLP Tales episode Shop Talk. I haven't gone through it at all, just scanned, so no idea if anything might be different inside. This was an original copy signed by the writer of the script, Douglas Booth.

When I have some time, I'll definitely be checking that out :)

I have a few Jem scripts and they do have quite significant differences from the actual produced episodes, so it will be interesting to see what might be in/out compared to the final production.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline greeby

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Beddy Bye Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 03, 2024, 05:39:12 PM »

I have a few Jem scripts and they do have quite significant differences from the actual produced episodes, so it will be interesting to see what might be in/out compared to the final production.

Which episodes would these be?  Because after going through all the MLP N Friends material and seeing how much had to be cut to make room for the songs, I'm interested in how it worked with Jem.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 05, 2024, 04:30:21 AM »

Which episodes would these be?  Because after going through all the MLP N Friends material and seeing how much had to be cut to make room for the songs, I'm interested in how it worked with Jem.

Erm, Britrock, The Battle of the Bands 1 and 2...and a couple of others but I can't remember which.

Things I remember (bear in mind I've not looked at them in a while) were cut songs (Queen of R&R in Britrock), dialogue changes and Jetta first appearing in the notes of Battle of the Bands with a guitar...bass guitar I think, not a saxophone.

There's also a theory that Love's Not Easy was a song meant to be in the episode Island of Deception, because it's the only later season song to appear on a doll cassette, and that episode only has 2 songs. I don't have the script for that one though.

I am assuming similar happened with MLP. There are those different versions, with cut intro sections where it's made multipart that I remember (not that I have paid massive attention to MLP & Friends, but I do remember Revolt of PE had this).

Jem also had the first 5 episodes extended after Truly Outrageous. I also don't have scripts for those, but comparing the individual eps to TO! do give some idea of that editing and amending process.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2024, 04:32:40 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline greeby

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Beddy Bye Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 05, 2024, 06:46:48 AM »
Love's Not Easy was storyboarded for Island of Deception by comics legend Romeo Tanghal. The boards were coloured and turned into an animatic for Jemcon some years back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjbjQ_D0zas&pp=ygUTSmVtIExvdmUncyBOb3QgRWFzeQ%3D%3D

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 05, 2024, 10:49:43 AM »
Love's Not Easy was storyboarded for Island of Deception by comics legend Romeo Tanghal. The boards were coloured and turned into an animatic for Jemcon some years back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjbjQ_D0zas&pp=ygUTSmVtIExvdmUncyBOb3QgRWFzeQ%3D%3D

Interesting to know :) My involvement in discussions on this are about 15 years old as I haven't been actively in the Jem community for a long time. It's good to know that assumption was correct.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 05, 2024, 03:54:25 PM »

That was really interesting. :)   I had "Island of Deception"  "Hot Time in Hawaii" and The "Talent Search" episodes on VHS growing up.  It was a little strange watching the entire series for the first time and only have those episodes as references points.   

There used to be a website that detailed all of the differences between Truly Outrageous and the first five episodes version.  I know the songs are longer in Rhino's set of those first five than they are in Shout version. 

Here's two version of the recap from "Kimber's Rebellion"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmWNQMH-row

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zatgLfU4AHE

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Ainadae

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 05, 2024, 05:39:49 PM »
@Rhaegar, just wanted to unlurk long enough to thank you for sharing all of this. This is such an unbelievable treasure trove of nostalgia! I cannot wait to show my best friend that all of this exists--there is a weekend of obsessing over character models and storyboards in our future! 

Offline Rhaegar

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 06, 2024, 01:36:45 PM »
You're welcome! I just want this stuff preserved online forever. I've been very very busy on a major wiki project for a different fandom but hopefully soon I can find some time to upload some more. I have (two?) auditions, the big brothers and princess pony commercials and misc stuff from various episodes I'm having trouble identifying. And who knows what else comes across my path but anything that does you will all get free access to.

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 07, 2024, 08:16:03 AM »
Thanks again for all of this, Rhaegar, and Greeby for your site too :lovey:

Different vers of MLP - All of the multi-part MLP n Friends eps originally aired with recaps at the start and ended with a "To Be Continued" card. All of these (except one TBC, I'm blanking on which ep it's in off the top of my head though) were cut for all home video releases, except the Australian DVDs which do have most (but not all) of them intact. Oddly the end of "The Magic Coins" part 4 was snipped for DVDs too, cutting off the end of the "Friends" song. And of course there's the songs cut from the original two specials, and the whole Glass Princess "Hurry" thing. They're the only version differences I know about re: MLP though.

That's really interesting about that Jem ep, thanks for sharing that too! I wish we had something like that for (MLP) Tambelon part 3, I'm sure they cut a song from that one...

Offline Rhaegar

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 08, 2024, 03:31:21 PM »

Oh good I managed to get the embeded pictures working. Up on archive.org is a mish mash of End of Flutter Valley related loose pages, including this one. I love Aahg so much.  :inlove:

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 10, 2024, 07:34:33 AM »
Oh these are amazing!!! :lovey: :lovey: omg all the Sting art <333

Every time you post anything relating to the songs from this ep, I get them in my head all over again xD Omg that sheet with notes on the "Family, Family" sequence is amazing though!! I love stuff like this, it's so fascinating! and the thumbnails oh gosh XD the thumbs of Hydia are killing me omg

Who's the cool wizard character though? I don't recognize him :o

Offline Rhaegar

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 10, 2024, 03:34:50 PM »
Could be from something else, I've found Dungeons & Dragons stuff mixed in here. I'm certain I've mixed up a few of these.

Would Be Dragon Slayer designs and sketches up.

Offline sweetstuff85

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Magic Fantasy Hair Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 30, 2024, 11:56:11 PM »
I just listen to the auditions #3 and the bushwoolies. That was so fun.

It wild how no one else came close to sounding as regal as Russi Taylor did for Rosedust.

Russi Taylor also did lots of voices on the simspons most notably Martin. Which when I watch older episodes of the simpsons. (Seasons 1-9 or so) I hear rosedust from time to time. Makes me smile.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal