collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: The cutie mark crusaders and the tubs of Jelly  (Read 5638 times)

Offline moonflower

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • collecting est. 2005
    • View Profile
Re: The cutie mark crusaders and the tubs of Jelly
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2012, 03:24:32 AM »
The one that really confused me at first was the British meaning of the slang word "pissed." To us, "pissed off" means very angry, but to the British, it means to be drunk/smashed. Also, "mad" to Americans usually means "angry" while "mad" to Britons means "crazy"... hehe. It's just so much fun.

"Pissed off" still means angry here but the word "pissed" on it's own would usually mean drunk/smashed but can mean angry.
The word "mad" can mean angry or crazy depending on the context.

I thought the UK called a pb&j nutty gum and fruit spleggings?

What!? I've never heard of "nutty-gum and fruit spleggings" lmao!
 :rofl:
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 04:51:33 AM by moonflower »

Offline Clementine

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Power Puff Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2012, 04:24:36 AM »
I've known for some years but I remember wondering why Americans would put jelly on a sandwich with peanut butter (although jam and peanut butter doesn't sound much better - sorry! xD)
Jelly in America is jello.

This is also what I thought when I was a kid! I was wondering why the characters on tv's parent would even let them have jelly for lunch! X) Haha, took me a while to realise they ment jam!

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2012, 08:52:34 AM »
So in the UK you call both the one with the fruit in it and the one without the fruit in it jam? It must get confusing if you send someone to the store. You could mean the one without any fruit in it and get the one with it.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2012, 09:12:27 AM »
So in the UK you call both the one with the fruit in it and the one without the fruit in it jam? It must get confusing if you send someone to the store. You could mean the one without any fruit in it and get the one with it.

"Technically" and by official definition even in the UK, something with bits of fruit in it is a jam and something without bits of fruit in it is a jelly....we would have Blackcurrent Jam and Redcurrant Jelly. However, lazily we do tend to put everything under the jam heading. More often than not jam for example is taken as something you would put on toast or in a sandwich, whereas jelly is something you would serve with pate or meat.

Post Merge: April 08, 2012, 09:12:45 AM

Edit:...this is a very weird conversation to be having on the Corral...lol
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2012, 10:11:15 AM »
However, lazily we do tend to put everything under the jam heading.
Well that's understandable! I'd say here, we lazily put everything under the heading of jelly, even though the terms "jam" and "preserves" are still used a lot.

As for the CMC, I feel that the emphasis on them reminds me of the emphasis on the baby ponies in G1, although less annoying. I think it's a combination of the toys being cheaper to make and the potential for little kid characters to be both cute and more relateable to little kids in the audience. I don't necessarily agree with that second part, but it seems like that might be part of the reasoning. I think reusing the same plot point over and over is lazy, but also a way to keep the story going without dramatic changes to the main characters.

Offline Varkolak

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Mimic <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2012, 10:14:04 AM »
well in the talent show episode we saw that sweetie belle was good at singing, scootaloo has dancing (but mostly her scooter skills), and apple bloom was best at decorating. even their club house got decorated by her. she's more artistic.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

TooManyBunnies

« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2012, 10:25:28 AM »
As for the CMC, I feel that the emphasis on them reminds me of the emphasis on the baby ponies in G1, although less annoying. I think it's a combination of the toys being cheaper to make and the potential for little kid characters to be both cute and more relateable to little kids in the audience. I don't necessarily agree with that second part, but it seems like that might be part of the reasoning. I think reusing the same plot point over and over is lazy, but also a way to keep the story going without dramatic changes to the main characters.
It's got nothing to do with the toys being cheaper. The CMC were all Lauren's idea, and you've seen how long it's taken the show writers and Hasbro's toy department to start working together.

Lauren's idea for the CMC actually included a spinoff aimed at a younger audience. I'm kind of glad that didn't happen.

And I don't want to see any dissing of PB&J from a country that serves fish for breakfast. :P

Offline KaibaGirl007

• Blue Eyes pony
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • Depends Pony
  • Screw the rules, I have ponies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2012, 10:38:52 AM »
I wish that the CMCs would just get their marks already too. I find a couple of the episodes based on them are cute but I easily tire of their antics and after a while they just become repetitive and obnoxious. I don't care how they get them, just make it soon, lol.

And as for the jelly/jam US/UK issue, some people are going to have a field day when the 'cider' episode airs in the UK.
FOR SALE! visitors can't see pics , please register or login

On holiday between 18th to 26th April; unable to reply to messages during that time

Offline Elisto

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2012, 10:45:11 AM »
I supposed I'm still just thinking about how much Hasbro seemed to push baby pony toys with G1 and assumed that that idea would continue even now, but now that I think about it, this is the company that had to hold focus groups to see if little girls would like a G3 pegasus, so maybe I'm giving them too much credit to continue an apparently good idea.

Rococo

« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2012, 10:55:41 AM »
I thought the UK called a pb&j nutty gum and fruit spleggings?

What!? I've never heard of "nutty-gum and fruit spleggings" lmao!
 :rofl:

I think this is from a "my face when" joke lol.

The CMC are cute, though I am beginning to tire of the CMC-centric episodes, but I wouldn't mind seeing some baby pony toys with cutie marks...

Offline bluemoondreams

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2012, 11:04:57 AM »
I wish that the CMCs would just get their marks already too. I find a couple of the episodes based on them are cute but I easily tire of their antics and after a while they just become repetitive and obnoxious. I don't care how they get them, just make it soon, lol.

And as for the jelly/jam US/UK issue, some people are going to have a field day when the 'cider' episode airs in the UK.

oh dear why whats wrong with the cider eppisode?

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2012, 11:08:41 AM »
It's got nothing to do with the toys being cheaper. The CMC were all Lauren's idea, and you've seen how long it's taken the show writers and Hasbro's toy department to start working together.

Lauren's idea for the CMC actually included a spinoff aimed at a younger audience. I'm kind of glad that didn't happen.

Do you have a source for this information?  That's not what I heard at all.    On Deviant Art Lauren Faust said originally she only proposed one baby pony as a main cast member, Apple Bloom--whose name was originally Apple Seed (to symbolize her potential).  Hasbro then either suggested or demanded (I don't know which) that the single symbol-less baby be increased to a trio, thus the Cutie Mark Crusaders came to be.

I haven't heard anything about a proposed spin-off.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline moonflower

• Mommy & Baby Pony
  • collecting est. 2005
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2012, 11:12:17 AM »

I haven't seen it yet, but I have visions of ponies getting drunk, lol! ^_^

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2012, 11:14:09 AM »

I would imagine the fact that cider in America is normally non alcoholic but in the UK drinking cider tends to mean cheap plastic bottles of alcohol from the supermarket

Either the ponies of Ponyville are all closet alcoholics or the cider they were drinking was simply apple juice...
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Elisto

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2012, 11:53:00 AM »
Yeah, in the US and I guess Canada, cider is just stronger-tasting, unfiltered apple juice produced in the fall, and is more common that hard cider, which has alcohol.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal