collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Mlp tales  (Read 3637 times)

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
Re: Mlp tales
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2014, 01:26:01 PM »
*giggle* Thats certainly true...a pastel coloured talking pony whether she is going to school or unleashing magic is never just boring old slice of life :)
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2014, 01:33:23 PM »
I suppose that's true.

It's a matter of taste.  When my younger sister and I watched the combination of Tales of the original Cartoon on the Disney Channel, I preferred the fantasy/adventure of the original cartoon while my sister (who was 4 going on 14) preferred the teen/preteen drama of Tales.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Aquatic Neon

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2014, 01:39:17 PM »
The way I like to look at it is this, toywise yes it's all G1, Yes both shows series are G1.

The fact though is it is completely different than MLP and friends, the movie, and the specials. Tales does not have unicorn, pegasus, sea ponies, villians, Meghan and her siblings, flutter ponies, creatures like g1, etc. It's basically human like ponies living a real like human life. Don't get me wrong I loved it and watched it as a kid too, but I cannot say they are the same show wise, it's easy for me to just call it G1.5 and I wish others would do the same as well, because a lot of new fans will see an episode of Tales and think all of G1 is like that which could not be more wrong. MLP and Friends is to Tales as Friendship is Magic is to Equestria Girls.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

For Sale Wants

Offline Loa

• Queen of Sloths
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2014, 02:04:13 PM »
The way I like to look at it is this, toywise yes it's all G1, Yes both shows series are G1.

The fact though is it is completely different than MLP and friends, the movie, and the specials. Tales does not have unicorn, pegasus, sea ponies, villians, Meghan and her siblings, flutter ponies, creatures like g1, etc. It's basically human like ponies living a real like human life. Don't get me wrong I loved it and watched it as a kid too, but I cannot say they are the same show wise, it's easy for me to just call it G1.5 and I wish others would do the same as well, because a lot of new fans will see an episode of Tales and think all of G1 is like that which could not be more wrong. MLP and Friends is to Tales as Friendship is Magic is to Equestria Girls.

No, no, no, no.

Thank you SquarePeg!
My Instagram - MLPArena's Instagram - My Sales on Trade Me!

Offline Aquatic Neon

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2014, 02:08:45 PM »

No, no, no, no.

Want to elaborate on that? Well new fans call it G2, so I think G1.5 sounds more accurate.

For Sale Wants

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2014, 02:09:43 PM »
Everyone is allowed to call everything what ever they wish of course :)

But I am sure you can see it a bit upsetting to people who have been pony fans and collectors for years and decades to be told it would be better and easier if they basically renamed things to something which would be preferred by newer fandom members?

While we are all equal fans no matter how or when we came to MLP, I dont think this would go down well in reverse if pre G4 fans told post G4 fans that they needed to change some word or reference...just because it would make things easier for us. :P

Sometimes its about respecting what has always been about and always been accepted rather than changing things to suit a new audience.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2014, 02:29:48 PM »
I used to love MLP Tales. I wish I had them on DVD, but you can't get them here in the US. :( I know it was a more modern setting but that doesn't make it not G1.  I think the only time pegasus and unicorns were shown was when Patch met the Glow n Show ponies in one episode but all of the other ponies acted like they were from outerspace instead of ponies that just lived in another place.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Lancer

• Trade Count: (+164)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • Diary of a Daydreamer
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2014, 04:05:07 PM »
I don't see how Pony Tales can be considered anything but G1.  The animation style is practically identical, and all of the toys were also G1s.  It's not even like G3/G3.5/G4 where there was no break in production.  There is a clear cut off between G1 and G2.  The G1 toy line continued in certain European countries for THREE YEARS after Pony Tales aired on television in 1992.  G2 began two years after that in 1997.

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2014, 04:14:09 PM »
At the time Tales was airing, we were getting G2 Transformers and G.I. Joe cartoons and toys.  That could have added to the confusion.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline brighteyes

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • ~Insert Coin, Get Pony~
    • View Profile
    • Brighteye's Notebook
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2014, 04:41:25 PM »
I have to disagree.  I really don't see MLP Tales as G1.5 either.  The whole idea of generations of My Little Ponies has been driven by the toys, not the show.  If we think of the different iterations of the shows as generations then would Midnight Castle be G1, MLP and Friends be G1.5, Tales be G1.75, etc... and then what would G2 be?  There was no show for that generation.  I just think it doesn't make any sense to consider the shows different generations.  It should really just be about the toys and their design.  Each new gen represents a re-launch of the series and a complete redesign of packaging and toys. 

When new collectors call Tales G2, they aren't expressing a different opinion regarding the show, they are simply missinformed.  Tales is absolutely 100% G1 as evidenced by the toys which were released in the G1 line.

ETA:  Also, Tales did have Pegasi in one episode: Up, Up and Away http://mylittlewiki.org/wiki/Up,_Up_and_Away_Episode.   I think the animation style is Tales is more similar to My Little Pony and Friends than MLP Friends is to Rescue at Midnight Castle though the content of Rescue and MLP Friends was more similar of course. 
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 04:45:26 PM by brighteyes »
Many thanks to LordBlumiere for my wonderful avatar  :lovey: Blog  Adoptable Refs

Offline StarSwirl05

• Pearlized G3 Prototype Pony
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Njyugioh
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2014, 05:07:23 PM »
Personally, I think if those that think MLP Tales is G2 actually watched the show, they'd see how different the artwork style of the ponies is compared to the box art on the DVD and might see where they went wrong.

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2014, 05:18:08 PM »
What's really sick is the people behind the Brony Documentary made the mistake of saying Tales was G2.

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2014, 05:20:00 PM »
Personally, I think if those that think MLP Tales is G2 actually watched the show, they'd see how different the artwork style of the ponies is compared to the box art on the DVD and might see where they went wrong.
I don't think it's always the DVD that causes the confusion, I think it's simply not knowing that it's governed by toys, or not being familiar with the toys and simply thinking "different setting = different generation".

I made the mistake too after discovering Tales on YouTube by accident.  It was kind of weird how I came to the conclusion that it was G2, as I had already been told somewhere that they never made a G2 cartoon, and since it seemed to be different to G1 I just naturally assumed "Oh, so their was a G2 show then?".  I am now aware of my error, and know that Tales as G1, but if I need to differenciate I simply say "Tales".

I didn't even know that they litterally put G2 style versions of the 7 Friends on the DVD - when someone said that the DVD had G2 artwork I thought it would be actual G2 ponies, like how the G1 movie has G2 ponies that do not appear in the movie at all (obviously).  I also thought the image was fanmade at first.
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline Stars

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
  • 'You're special to me!' ~ Sweet Berry
    • View Profile
    • The Cave of the Past - My Blog
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2014, 05:20:41 PM »
It only takes one look at the animation used in the small cut scenes of the G2 computer game to know that the art styles are radically different. Simply no way to confuse the two.

Thank you to Nence for my lovely Rosie Teapony and Shiverdam for my Rosie Seapony <3
3DS Friend Code: 1805 - 2156 - 2596 | Mii: Ellie | AC: Nellie - Town: Phenac | Pokemon Y: Eleanor

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2014, 05:37:58 PM »

No, no, no, no.

Want to elaborate on that? Well new fans call it G2, so I think G1.5 sounds more accurate.

I agree with Loa...but more like NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooNOoooooNOooo.

I've been into MLP for 30 years, why am I gonna believe what people who have only been in it for 4 years say? Do the people saying it's G2 know anything about G1/G2 really or are they just forming they're knowledge off looking at youtube clips?

People call it G2 because they don't know MLP history, are not aware of both the toy production and the animation productions. Let me put this frankly, some people are completely ignoring on the dates/history and the reality of MLP and are forming they're knowledge off something many of them admittedly hate and know next to nothing about.

I've been into MLP for 30 years, I don't care what 'some' fans are calling Tales...It's G1.
Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal