collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How do you ship your customs?  (Read 1224 times)

ZettaMomo

• Trade Count: (0)
How do you ship your customs?
« on: February 12, 2012, 10:27:20 AM »
So I probably should have asked this a little bit earlier, but it is better to ask now than never.

Right now I am selling a blind bag custom on ebay and it looks like it is going over well so far. When it does sell my mom and I have a general idea of how we are going to ship it, but I still feel like I should ask how you guys ship your ponies.
I know that colored tissue paper and news paper are bad.

I was planning to gently wrap my custom in a little bit of bubble wrap, put her in a small box, and put it in a priority mail envelope. I was also going to put buyers insurance on the item just in case worst comes to worst.
Is this good enough? Is there something else I should do just to make sure the pony is safe? How do you ship your customs? 

PetiteTiger

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: How do you ship your customs?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 12:20:53 PM »
I'm really lazy--I just wrap 'em up in bubble wrap and put them in a flat rate small shipping box!  Sometimes I'll use plastic bags to fill up the empty space, but they don't have much room for shifting around to begin with.  It's nice because I don't have to worry about calculating shipping; it's 5 bucks for anywhere in the US.

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 12:50:33 PM »
If the custom has a lot of paintwork, I'll usually put her in a ziplock baggie before I use bubble wrap.  Then I'll use some butcher paper to cushion the rest of the box and ship her on out.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

Offline carlabarla

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://seethecee.deviantart.com/
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 01:23:06 PM »
I use bubble wrap for the custom and then butchers paper to hold it in place. Some times I use left over tissue paper to hold it in place. Kinda depends on what I have, but always bubble wrap

Offline diana_arcuri

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • The Art of Dianita
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 02:53:44 PM »
Well, personally I wouldn't hesitate on shipping my customs as safe as I possibly can.  I'm not sure about blind bags because I don't know them in person ^^  but for customs, even if they're only handpainted and rehaired, to the ones that are highly sculpted, I ship them with extreme care and never in an envelope.  Of course, please consider that I live in Mexico and most shippings are to other countries, and you know that even in the expensive shipping methods they won't treat your packages as orchids or rare flowers...

So the ones that don't have pieces that can be broken, I ship them in sturdy box, like shoe boxes. I place them in zip plastic bags, I tape them to the bottom of the box and then I use lots of plastic bags as filler.

If I have to send highly sculpted ponies, I choose a bigger box, at least a taller one. and what I do is that I also place them in plastic bag (celophan bags or just clear plastic bags that fit the pony's size)  and repeat the process of taping it to the bottom of the box and then start filling with plastic bags.  When I'm not sure if the box will be damaged or not, I use sturdy board to give extra strenght to the box walls =), like using it as an emergency structure that will help the box to resist a big hit (usually in the post office they tell me to ship everything really protected because that small box will be shipped with boxes that might weight 25 kilograms!)   so, if the box gets damaged, the inner structure will protect a bit more the inside of the box. The pony will not move from the bottom of the box and then the plastic bags will help to absorb the hit and if the box gets hit, the plastic will be a soft filling that will not try to steal the pony's personal space... aka: it won't push the pony and hurt the sculpted parts as result of the hit or pressure =)

Sorry for long post, just my detailed 2 cents!!! =D  I'll keep an eye in this post as I might be missing some tips!!!

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 05:24:50 PM »
For me, the pony goes in a plastic bag then into a box with bubble wrap and packing peanuts. I have only ever shipped one pony with sculpting and those wings were made from foamy and easy to cushion with news paper.

Offline okiegurl1981

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://okiegurl1981.deviantart.com/
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 06:55:23 PM »
I always ship my customs in boxes.  It's a personal rule with me.  Even if it's just a simple rehair and simple symbol repaint, it goes in a box.  I'll wrap the custom in bubble wrap or plain tissue paper and place it inside a ziplock baggie.  Then, I'll fill the space around it with plastic grocery bags, packing peanuts, or more bubble wrap.  Never wrap customs in colored tissue paper, newspaper, or plastic grocery bags.  The ink from them can transfer to the pony.
Facebook | Deviantart | Etsy
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal