collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Can brown stains from play be removed?  (Read 1017 times)

SapphireCookie

• Trade Count: (0)
Can brown stains from play be removed?
« on: May 27, 2012, 04:26:47 PM »
Some of my older, longer owned ponies (Baby Glory, Mommy Apple Delight, Cotton Candy, Blossom, SHS Spring Song to name a few...) have a brownish look to them, I assume from playing with them when I was  4-12 years old.

The worst being Blossom and Newborn Yo-yo.

Yo-yo is my most favorite out of all of them, I loved her so much as kid shes in need of a fixing up, though still nice for all of the playing she went through.

I know how to repink, but her hair is frizzy on the ends and is kinda short, I may just re-hair her in the end. But the issue is that she's not very...purple, anymore. She looks more gray then purple. If I pull her legs apart I can see her natural purple, and also in the corners of her wings and mane line.

Is there anything I can do to make her look even the slightest bit purple again? If not, I'm okay with leaving her the way she is.

PS: I searched the forums for a answer before posting this, I didn't find anything.

Offline Nonnavlis

• Brush N Grow Pony
  • ~Tiny Space Princess~
    • View Profile
    • My Instagram
Re: Can brown stains from play be removed?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 04:41:01 PM »
If she's turned brown it's probably sunfade, unfortunately. When purple sunfades it takes on a sort of red-gray hue. My childhood Twinkler is like this, she's become a sort of diluted wine colour. I've seen some people bring a ponies colour back with peroxide, but I've never done it. You might try searching the forums or Google? (Specifically for Peroxide and ponies, I mean).

SapphireCookie

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 05:06:01 PM »
If she's turned brown it's probably sunfade, unfortunately. When purple sunfades it takes on a sort of red-gray hue. My childhood Twinkler is like this, she's become a sort of diluted wine colour. I've seen some people bring a ponies colour back with peroxide, but I've never done it. You might try searching the forums or Google? (Specifically for Peroxide and ponies, I mean).

I thought peroxide was for white ponies? I looked on the forums a minute ago, all the posts seem to be about white ponies.
I can live with the brownish stains, she looks alot better after I washed her, I'll just focus on getting her hair back to its former glory. (and take that bolt out of her! I think its crumbled to a million pieces.)

Offline Nonnavlis

• Brush N Grow Pony
  • ~Tiny Space Princess~
    • View Profile
    • My Instagram
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 05:11:21 PM »
Well, that is the common usage, but I do remember seeing pictures sometime ago of a purple pony in a jar of peroxide, hence why it came to mind. I'm not sure if I'd ever be able to find the thread again though (But I am searching...).

I'm afraid I can't offer any tips for the hair. Taming frizz is something I've never been able to do. Good luck, though!

Edit: I should have thought of it a bit sooner, but have you tried giving her a rub with a Magic Eraser? Sometimes it helps with discoloring a little bit. It will take of paint, though, and the natural gloss of a pony, if your pony has a gloss. So, use at your own risk, of course.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 05:26:17 PM by Nonnavlis »

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 05:40:39 PM »
First, what have you tried so far? Lately, it seems like a lot of people have been asking about problems with their ponies without having tried to clean them first!

If you haven't tried to clean them yet, there are a lot of things you can start with...soap and water, Magic Eraser, I has success with getting my Blossom back to lavender with toothpaste, there's also baking soda. If it needs sunfading, you can do it with or without peroxide, but peroxide seems faster. You can sunfade most colors, at least, certainly most light colored ones (a few do get darker, but most are fine). I've only sunfaded one dark colored pony, Bow Tie, and she turned out well (I'll be posting pictures soon, maybe tomorrow).

SapphireCookie

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2012, 05:59:31 PM »
First, what have you tried so far? Lately, it seems like a lot of people have been asking about problems with their ponies without having tried to clean them first!

If you haven't tried to clean them yet, there are a lot of things you can start with...soap and water, Magic Eraser, I has success with getting my Blossom back to lavender with toothpaste, there's also baking soda. If it needs sunfading, you can do it with or without peroxide, but peroxide seems faster. You can sunfade most colors, at least, certainly most light colored ones (a few do get darker, but most are fine). I've only sunfaded one dark colored pony, Bow Tie, and she turned out well (I'll be posting pictures soon, maybe tomorrow).

So far I've only done a natural wash with soap. I don't have a magic eraser, but I'll get one and try it (and for future clean-ups, got alot of ponies to restore and clean)

I'll try the toothpaste method, maybe the baking soda method.

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2012, 06:52:17 PM »
You can also try Oxyclean; I've had good luck with that as well.  :)
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2012, 09:55:28 PM »
Careful with the Magic Eraser on paint - it'll take it right off!  :D 
The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2012, 02:38:49 AM »
Elisto is completely right - before you get as far as sunfading or peroxide or anything like that make sure you try every "non serious chemical" method you can. From scrubbing with toothpaste/baking soda through to a gentle magic eraser. This will tell you whether or not the issues are surface or more in depth. If the later then you can move on to sun-fading or HP.

On her hair - a good soak in conditioner [human or fabric] and then if you are confident enough you can try flat ironing the hair to get rid of some of the frizzyness [make sure the hair is always damp, straighteners are at low, you don't go too close to the actual plastic of the pony and that you swipe them through the hair quickly and don't allow heat to build up in the hair].
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal