collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Suggest Old-Fashioned Entertainments  (Read 1617 times)

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
Suggest Old-Fashioned Entertainments
« on: December 06, 2023, 11:25:46 AM »
I am aiming to try at least one new non-internet based entertainment per month for the next year. However, I realised how few of these lawn or parlour type games I actually even know. I put Easter Egg Hunt in brackets because I've done it before. Can you make any suggestions?

December - Cards Against Humanity
January -
February -
March -
April - (Easter Egg Hunt)
May - Visit the horse sanctuary
June - Lawn croquet
July -
August - Seaside arcade (not the 2p machine I've already done it)
September - Bingo at the village hall
October -
November - Gin Rummy
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
Re: Suggest Old-Fashioned Entertainments
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2023, 02:16:45 PM »
I swear I commented on this?

Anyway, here's some games.

Board games - Boggle, Scrabble, Parcheesi, Yahtzee, Scattergories, Trivial Pursuit are some of my favorites.

Card games - UNO, Blackjack, poker, Crazy 8s, Bridge, Pinochle, WAR, Hearts, Old Maid, Go Fish, Solitaire with actual cards.

Outside games - Toss Across, Slip'n Slide (all you need is a tarp and a hose), Lawn Darts (they are safer these days), field hockey, 4 Square, hide and seek, Simon Says, Red Light Green Light, Red Rover (you need a lot of people for that though and it can be dangerous lol)

Creative games - Pictionary, Charades, Who am I?, Ouija, Tarot reading, palm reading

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Beth3346

• Trade Count: (+91)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • she/her/hers - Baby Mint Dreams by Lady Satine
    • View Profile
    • My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2023, 04:27:09 PM »
for Easter you could also dye some eggs. I did that a few years ago and even as an adult it was fun :)

BC, I didn't know lawn darts were brought back. i still hear buttheads complaining that lawn darts went away  :lol:
Current Grails - Dutchies, Princess Variants PM me if you have any for sale - Want List

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2023, 11:29:48 PM »
They're made of plastic and have a weighted top, but the tops are rounded. They look like sinking pool toys.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed

Online Shaiyeh

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+78)
    • View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2023, 01:06:38 AM »
This is such a good & fun idea!

Ahh there are so many fun board games etc you can play!
i haven't tried this one, but I had a look at it recently - if you like Disney - check out Villainous. It's a board/card game. Otherwise Munchkin is fun, and I love Smallworld and Root.

If you're into fantasy and card games, you could try Magic the Gathering.
If tabletop miniatures sound fun to you (any part of the hobby, be it building/painting/playing), there's a loooot to choose from. I personally adore the painting aspect.

If we step outside of gaming, how about a dance class? Usually courses do a free trial class, if you don't want to commit to a whole course.

And if crafting is your thing, try a new craft! maybe for one of the colder months ^^ (knitting, crochet, spinning on a drop spindle, sewing (or if you sew - a new technique. paper piecing, sashiko...), needle tatting, embroidery...

Thanks izard for my super cute ava and Starscout for my wonderful siggie!

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2023, 03:27:02 AM »
I love playing Carcasonne and Trivial Pursuit.

Other suggestions are reading a book or magazine, knit, crochet, diamond painting. Paint, sketch..

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2023, 06:16:26 AM »
Couple more I thought of.

Frisbee (they have glow in the dark and light up ones if you want to play at night), hacky sack, marbles (I used to play marbles ALL the time).

I completely forgot about craft stuff. Cross stitch, embroidery, wreath making, flower arranging, pottery, ceramics, macramé, papier-mâché (that's super easy, all you need is paper like tissue paper or unprinted newspaper, glue or flour, and water. One project I did was making my own decorative balls that I painted and put into a basket for a tabletop).

Science! Potato light, chia seeds, Sea Monkeys, DIY ball run, growing crystals, DIY terrarium, tornado bottle, domino run (also dominos the game)

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2023, 01:32:54 PM »
Go ice or roller skating

Ice blocking (like sledding, but in the summer and you sit on a block of ice)

Card game: Taco Cat Goat Cheese Pizza

Paint something (even a rock)

Go to the senior center and hear them tell you stories

Learn to play chess

Cook something you've never been brave enough to try before

Camp out and make s'mores

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2023, 11:00:05 PM »
This is a goldmine! Thank you! So many games 'physical' I've never heard of so I will have a lot of fun looking all of those up. Just a quick one I love the idea of going to a huge empty sports field and playing frisbee in the dark. That would be such a blast.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2023, 03:28:24 AM »
Doesn't it? They also have these toys called UFOs that are bigger then frisbees but they hover and glide slower, that also light up.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2023, 11:09:11 AM »
May I suggest card-making??? Like in February you can make Valentine's cards, March/April Easter cards, December Christmas/Festive cards, etc. If you're feeling really adventurous you can make a big rainbow poster at the beginning of June too. You can use paints, pens, pencils, coloured paper & glue, all sorts
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2023, 02:37:21 PM »
paper dolls
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2023, 12:11:51 AM »
Great ideas, everyone!

How about visiting a museum or an art gallery? Especially small ones!

Theater or concert - it doesn't have to be a big production, there may be school or hobbyist groups doing these things with cheap or even free admission.

Visit your local library and pick a book off the shelf to read -anything that looks interesting! Or ask the librarian for recommendations.

Listen to an actual music record (whatever format you have access to, CD/LP, even tape), preferably one that comes with the lyrics. Don't multitask but sit down and read the lyrics while you listen (or close your eyes and just enjoy the music).

Look up an interesting place near you to visit - something with historical significance or natural beauty, for example. Wikipedia is a good place to start, or you could combine two of these activities and go to the library to find books on local history and nature.  :)

Jigsaw puzzles! I've recently been enjoying them a lot as people keep bringing them to work, we all take turns during the lunch break. I've been itching to start one at home, too, but I don't really have any. Maybe I'll ask for a new puzzle for Christmas  :shifty:

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2023, 09:08:19 AM »
Something I used to do in London particularly was go walking by bus stop. Because I can't navigate, I'd use bus stops to map my route, so I'd end up walking bus routes, or partial ones, and it gave me some independence. But I don't think it's something only a person who can't navigate could do. In theory, walking by bus stop is like a treasure hunt, trying to find the next one ;)

We used to paint easter eggs and then we'd have a tray propped up and roll them down it.

My Dad used to have tons of craft or pseudo science ideas, but one thing we did was make wind cars out of old fruit cartons, paper plates and coffee wheels on straws or sticks? for axles. So we'd end up using the carton as the body of the vehicle, coffee wheels for the actual wheels and stick the plate on the back. And then we'd take them out and race them.

Papier Mache is another good one. Another of my Dad's projects was that we'd take an old lemonade bottle and cover it in paper, paint it up, use a paper plate to make a face and toilet roll holders for legs...cardboard feet...straws for whiskers...and make a cat.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2023, 11:06:32 PM »
Lovely ideas thank you! When I lived in London I used to navigate without a smartphone because I hate having 'location services' switched on. But the bus stops have maps in them as you say and they can be very useful. I can agree that navigating in London is a sport in itself. Infact, navigating public transport anywhere can be seen as a challenge and actually pretty good fun.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal