collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Come See Rainbow-Ditz The Funko Failure? (pics)  (Read 1114 times)

Offline WingsOfMasquerade

• Trade Count: (+230)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Come See Rainbow-Ditz The Funko Failure? (pics)
« on: July 22, 2013, 03:29:38 PM »
So...I decided to try the Funko ponies.
I started with #$%^ %^& from a Hot Topic. They were having bogo 50%, and I could get a #$%^ big tee and the pony at a discount. I ended up liking the figure, so wacky and cute. Plus, all the Funkos look like the show, each with their own hair and eye style. Since I was ordering on Amazon...I decided to get Fluttershy & Rainbowdash. Dash has always been a big fave of mine.

So I see her in the package and she looks ok, so I take her out.
Oh this is all right...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

And then though, if you turn her over...
Oh no, this eye...this eye is so much smaller than the other one. She looks a bit weird with that little eye. But if both eyes were little like that it would probably be ok.

But then, any other angle, like say...the FRONT and you get...

But this isn't Rainbowdash, it's more like Rainbow-Ditz with that uneven eye. How did this happen?
They all don't look like this, do they? It's not some kind of "feature" I just don't know about?
Is yours like this?

And I'm stuck too because I ordered online! I can't just return or exchange her. It's not like it's a real "Defect" either like oh no her wing fell off or she arrived in a bashed up box. I can't even display her...she's too goofy looking from the front. I don't know how this can happen because the eye is a stamp, isn't it? Fluttershy was fine and there's no Dr. DitzyHooves or whatever he is out there looking wrong with one great big eye and the other one little. I don't know what to do because she was about 12 bucks or so. I guess is only display her facing something else to hide the front view, so only 1 eye can be seen at a time, then hopefully they do a clear version or something later to replace her with.

Offline NoPonySpecial

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Beyond the last visible dog, you will see infinity
    • View Profile
Re: Come See Rainbow-Ditz The Funko Failure? (pics)
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 04:15:53 PM »
Do you have to display her facing frontwards?
You could trade her with someone who likes defects, perhaps?
It doesn't seem too obvious to me, personally, but sometimes different things bug different people.
I'll put something here some time

Offline Unicorn_pops

• Trade Count: (+359)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Baby and Winger Collector
    • View Profile
    • Pony Collection
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 04:17:51 PM »
I like this version of her better! If I collected Funkos, I'd trade you in a heartbeat!

Sale Post  My Collection  My Customs

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 04:24:16 PM »
aww I love it !!! I do not collect these though.

will2Bfree

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 07:02:24 PM »
I find problems with the eyes especially noticeable, too. It's really the only part of the paint job that NEEDS to be symmetrical and is too often messed up. I feel bad for you getting one like that. One pupil definitely is smaller and it's definitely not supposed to be. I hope you're able to exchange her with one you can be happy with.

While Funko's molding is respect-worthy, I have noticed their painting leaves something to be desired (they don't even seem to be able to do gradients and only ever put one shade of color in the eye, meaning the color is always a little off [most notably Lyra and :muffin: Pony's look dull brown or even orangey, when they should be practically golden yellow, and I'm sure DJ won't have the gradient on her glasses]). Also, the layers, especially in the eyes, don't always line up the way they should. I see the same problems with blindbags. You'd think a company specializing in collectables like Funko would be able to do better with their precision, but even so they still out-perform hasbro's quality control.

If only they'd put the cutie mark on both sides as it's supposed to be, I probably wouldn't be as critical of their other painting "failures".

Offline Aitsuki

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 07:07:31 PM »
Ah... um...oh my. It looks like someone hit poor Rainbow with a ball-peen hammer... I mean, that's what someone's eyes look like when they're having a stroke or a hematoma or something.....I completely understand why you're so distressed by this.
My 3DS Friend Code (Playing Pokemon Moon): 2938-6334-2129

Offline BrightIdea

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 11:04:52 PM »
Ack, she is suffering from Celestia-and-Luna-itis.

I always wondered why the person who designed them thought they looked ok. I can't display my Luna forwards either, because she has the most terrible expression.

Image via My Little Pony News:

Lightning Twirl

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 12:01:33 AM »
Awww I think your RD is cute! Be proud you got her, she is your very own special unique pony!

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, 03:54:14 AM »
It looks like she has a concussion.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2013, 04:29:28 AM »
Aww...I think she is still cute.

Unfortunately little issues like this is what happens with a mass market, inexpensive product.

However, if it is something you can't live with I am sure you could contact Funko directly. They tend to have a really close relationship with their fans and market, they will probably be able to help you out with getting her swapped. And they are more likely to understand your reasoning than an online retailer.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline ponylady

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2013, 04:37:12 AM »
I love the name you have given her. Rainbow-Ditz! I would probably keep her just because of that  XD
:glitter:visitors can't see pics , please register or login
:glitter:

Thanks LordBlumiere  :heart: for my Baby Believe!
I love Ohio Meat Pie

Offline spottedslug

• Trade Count: (+106)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2013, 06:04:35 AM »
I kinda like it. Guess she must have flown into something pretty hard, hehe.

Offline WingsOfMasquerade

• Trade Count: (+230)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2013, 07:56:45 PM »
Thanks for this advice!
I'm really surprised so many people do like her. It's good to know that not all of them were made like this too. At least it's good news that she may be able to trade away at some point or sell her later on if Funko won't do anything. At least she is unique. The way I have my display set up, you can always see the front & display side of each of the Funkos (crammed in on the edge/end of a shelf) so the only other option would be burying her among g3s or something to hide the eye which I didn't want to have to do. I also agree that having a cutiemark on both sides would help solve the "display side" issue.

Hathorcat - Excellent thinking! I had no idea how Funko is as a company, but with this, it sounds like it's def. worth while to contact them about her. It wasn't Amazon-Amazon either, its some random "retailer thru amazon" so you're right...they probably won't care...but if Funko does, it's DEF. worth an email w/photo attachment. I can post about how it goes, too, so that if anybody on the Arena gets something like this (or worse! What if she had no eye at all!) we'll at least know what Funko does about such issues.

*Aack that Luna! Her eyes are going any which way and her expression just looks...creepy? Squinty? Suspicious? I'm not really sure, but it really is apparent when she's faced forward like that. At least this Dash isn't supposed to be that way...poor Luna was designed so.

ashleesalterego

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2013, 08:04:40 PM »
I think she's cute. I'd take her if given the chance!

Honey Buzz Oregon

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2013, 10:21:11 AM »
I love her, it gives her character!!!!!!!!!! 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal