collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Tell me there's an easier way to do this...  (Read 284 times)

Offline ApertureScience

• Forever Ouchy Roids
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
Tell me there's an easier way to do this...
« on: January 06, 2013, 07:04:17 PM »
Sanding.  I got a bait a while back that was covered in bite marks and I figured I'd try to sculpt over them.  Never done this before.  But it takes way too long and there are places I can't get to.  If I try bending the pony, it creates new places to sand.  If this were a personal custom that I planned on keeping, I might not be so worried about it, but this is for a swap, so I want it perfect.  Advice, please?

Zaphy

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Tell me there's an easier way to do this...
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 07:36:38 PM »
Hmm, what kinds of places can't you get to? Maybe try folding the sandpaper and sanding with the edge of the fold? It'll wear out quickly, but it's helped me get a few tight spots!

CarnationTwirl

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 07:45:56 PM »
Gently wrap a bit of sandpaper around a craft stick or wooden dowel.  I've sometimes used dollar store emery boards as a stand in with good results.
Patience is the key.  It's really tempting to put your shoulder into it like you're stripping paint, but it just causes more problems.
I like to use milliput as a sculpting material because it just takes water to smooth out the finish and dramatically reduces the sanding I have to do.

Offline okiegurl1981

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://okiegurl1981.deviantart.com/
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 08:17:18 PM »
I use different things to help with the sanding.  I have some dremel tool bits with a fine grain, emery boards, a couple of different foam sanding blocks, sheets of sandpaper, and some little sanding sticks I found in the model car section at Hobby Lobby.  I use whatever works for whatever space i'm sanding.  :)  If you're using apoxie clay, I try and smooth out as much as possible with hand lotion before it sets, so there's not so much to sand once it cures. 
Facebook | Deviantart | Etsy
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline ApertureScience

• Forever Ouchy Roids
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 10:00:19 PM »
Thanks for the advice and information, you guys.  Yeah, sand paper and elbow grease alone isn't quite working too well at the moment, so I'll look into some of the stuff you all mentioned. :)

Also, is Apoxie easier to sculpt with than Sculpey?  I use Sculpey because it's readily available, but it's a bit harder than I'd like it to be.  Is Apoxie softer?  Forgive me if these are noobish questions... :blush:

Offline okiegurl1981

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://okiegurl1981.deviantart.com/
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 10:05:24 PM »
I prefer the apoxie because it cures on it's own, so I don't have to mess with an oven.  I've used both tho (just not the sculpy/fimo on ponies.)  I find the sculpy to be softer than the apoxie, especially when I''ve worked with it and my hands have warmed it.  I'll let the apoxie sit for about 10 minutes before I start working with it.  This gives it a bit to stiffen, so it holds details better, and when I sculpt skirts, it holds the shapes better too. 
Facebook | Deviantart | Etsy
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Zaphy

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 01:34:34 AM »
Also, different colors of Sculpey will be softer than others. The most soft I've run into is the translucent Sculpey.

Offline ApertureScience

• Forever Ouchy Roids
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 08:27:36 AM »
Great!  Thanks for letting me know! :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal