collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Animation errors in the G1 cartoons.  (Read 3682 times)

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Animation errors in the G1 cartoons.
« on: January 23, 2016, 03:28:44 PM »
I think it's been a while since we had a thread like this. There were a lot of animation errors in the MLP series of cartoons.  Here is one.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Lofty has 5 legs.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Starfrey

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Animation errors in the G1 cartoons.
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 03:52:10 PM »
I always notice that in Escape from Catrina, baby Surprise is an alicorn for a good chunk of the nap song.
:cold:

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2016, 04:01:32 PM »
There are actually several cases of Alicornism in the G1 series.  Wind Whistler, Fizzy, Galaxy (twice) were all drawn as alicorns at some points.

It was shots like that which were a nightmare for the animators because of all of the layering.  I think the Lofty leg on the far right was originally going to be Heart Throb's but they had already made one and the colorist didn't bother to count legs.  There was also the odd shape of Heart Throb's body.  Drawing ponies on their backs and pinned by a bar must have been an incredible pain.

I also remember in Quest of the Princess Ponies the animator had given Locket normal eyes and the effects department tried to make up for it by making her irises sparkly.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Mirnyj

• Siamese PurrPony
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • A house is not a home without a siamese cat
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in finnish)
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016, 02:49:30 AM »

Wings! Wings for everypony!
Also in the Ice Cream Wars it is pretty hard to keep up with who is who, I think for example baby Lickety Split is chatting with herself at one point. :P

instagram ~ facebook ~ online store

Offline SpaceButtPonies

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • 6v9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 02:53:13 AM »
While watching G1 recently there was a lot of vocal errors too.

Siggy made by tailrustedtealeaf

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2016, 03:53:16 AM »
"The Quest of the Princess Ponies" also had a ton of errors.  Primrose's tail is red.  Wind Whistler and Locket swap bodies (and yet retain their original mane styles).  And perhaps the most hilarious animation error of them all, it's the Moochick's chair that animated as going on the attack but everyone calls it a plant.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 08:00:35 AM by Al-1701 »
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2016, 07:07:59 AM »
I think you're right Al-1701. I bet Lofty's extra leg was supposed to be Heart Throbs. I thought when they went to the next episode and showed the ponies trapped in a different position it was because the animators weren't paying attention to the ponies being caught on their backs but maybe it was so hard to animate that they decided to put them in different positions for the rest of the time they were caught in the trap?

Here are a  few more:

Wind Whistler is purple

North Star was caught in the net but in the next shot

Ponyfan

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2016, 07:53:56 AM »
Working in the continuity department in those days would have driven anyone crazy! 

I think the Lofty/North Star extra leg happened because they accidentally included the next layer of "in-between" with it.  See the leg can move to a number of positions that are present in the frame - which gives us an extra two legs - because look, North Star has an extra one too.  :)
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2016, 08:03:46 AM »
You also have to remember, this was being animated by hand with no computer assistance in Japan and South Korea with the QC department in the United States who had to receive everything by air mail.  Sadly, some really obvious errors got through simply because it was too much of a pain to go back to do them all over again.

Offline Sparkle Pony

• F.O.E. Pony
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • I'm not scrawny, I'm svelte!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2016, 09:16:20 AM »
I have to admit I think the errors are half the fun with the G1 cartoons.  The ones where a character would talk with a different character's voice always drove me crazy.  It even happened at least once in G3, you would think they would have learned over the years...

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2016, 10:47:03 AM »
You also have to remember, this was being animated by hand with no computer assistance in Japan and South Korea with the QC department in the United States who had to receive everything by air mail.  Sadly, some really obvious errors got through simply because it was too much of a pain to go back to do them all over again.

Fun times, I know!  It must be so much easier now that they can email files, but ugh!  I can only dream of the pain when you received the work back and it was full of errors but nobody was going to pay for the labour twice. And with extreme deadlines, nobody has time to fix it! 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2016, 10:55:01 AM »
The errors can be fun but changing positions in the mousetrap is one that really bugs me. :)

I think in the Quest of the Princess Ponies  at one point Wind Whistler and Locket say each other's line and call each other their own name?

I can see Hasbro/Sunbow not wanting to fix all of the errors due to cost also.

Ponyfan

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2016, 02:43:52 PM »
In Rescue at Midnight Castle when the other ponies are laughing at Firefly for crashing into Applejack's apples, Medley "becomes" Firefly, or is in Firefly's colors.

I think in the Quest of the Princess Ponies  at one point Wind Whistler and Locket say each other's line and call each other their own name?

Ponyfan
It's been a while since I saw it, but yeah, I think that's what happened.  It's funny to see, as it's like two mistakes in one.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 02:46:21 PM by MJNSEIFER »
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Barnacle is my first mate!
    • View Profile
    • Video Games as Literature
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2016, 08:08:45 PM »
Oh wow, how did I never notice these most grievous errors? I always noticed the rampant mis-colorings, but I never saw any extra legs or wings when watching the show, and I watched these episodes on repeat when I was a kid (and usually I'm extremely detail oriented!). That's it: I'm sitting down to watch every episode to look for errors now.

Offline Iceglider

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • Mommy, Artist, Roleplayer
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/creaturepainter
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2016, 05:31:14 AM »
Working in the continuity department in those days would have driven anyone crazy! 
Was there one?  :lol:

As a kid I remember noticing the changing color ponies.

I've noticed though that other cartoons from that era are really bad too. Even Bambi I remember a baby racoon disappeared in the final scene where the animals are escaping the fire. I attempted to watch transformers and ninja turtles from the same time and I couldn't even watch them. I don't have nostalgia for those lines that can overcome the bad writing and animation.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 05:33:19 AM by Iceglider »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal