Pony Talk > Pony Corral

What is going on with G1 sales?

(1/7) > >>

tuneful87:
I've started to collect again after a long hiatus, and I'm shocked by how little effort sellers are putting in despite obscene asking prices. Little or no description. Bad photos. No cleaning or hair styling. It's appalling.

I have no qualms about paying top dollar for a pony if it's in very good condition and well taken care of. But the effort I'm seeing is less than zero. What in the world...

Flitter:
I think because selling platforms are more and more being geared toward professional resellers and businesses and not collectors just trying to reduce. The sellers don't care about the item, often just scouring thrift stores and yard sales for "vintage" items'. They're just trying to see how much $ they can get for as little effort and investment as possible.
It's not just G1 MLP. I've noticed this across everything I've been trying to find 2nd hand lately. I've received many items recenty that arrive covered in pets hair, dust, scratches, sticky, with odd smells, etc. that's not notated in the description or shown in the photos. I have to be so diligent about zooming in on every inch of the seller's photos to try to catch flaws. And several times when I've asked questions about things I get "I'm not a collector. Look at the photos." or vague "It's good used condition." as an answer.

Carrehz:
eBay really isn't the same as it used to be :( The days of detailed photos and descriptions are mostly gone, sadly. You do still get some sellers that put in the same amount of effort but a lot of them are moving to social media and such... it really sucks :(

cowboyopossum:
A seller I had bought from failed to mention pony cancer, highlighter marks, and multiple missing tails (only one listing photo!). I have seen so many awful condition ponies with descriptions like "Perfect for any collector" when the pony is overpriced and covered in marks. I hate it. How can people not have common decency? Our community is not just a quick cash grab. It grinds my gears.  :argh:

Taffeta:
The moment it became possible to just list something on ebay with an app on a phone, the need for actual proper sales practice went out of the window. I still buy from ebay, selectively (not really ponies), but I won't sell there now because the platform is so obnoxious to small collectors selling private doubles, rather than people who think they are toy dealers but who are actually just picking up stuff they know little about and trying to scalp collectors. (There are actual dealers who know stuff too, I'm just talking about the bad auction silly titles rubbish price types).

It's also expensive to list an item now though. If you aren't a business, it's very costly on fees.

Another symptom of the internet being invaded by the convenience crowd looking for maximum profit for minimum effort.

There are also few consequences now for buyers or sellers who flake or who don't disclose details. In the past, getting a negative feedback was a big deal. Now...it isn't a thing, and even if it is, the scores wipe after a while anyway.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version