collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Really bummed that my EQG Boutique Pinkie's face is noticably discoloring  (Read 1277 times)

Offline Neon Sparkle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
I was just looking at my collection and I just noticed that Pinkie's face has discolored to a noticeably different hue to the rest of her body. I'm really bummed since she was my favorite one. I dunno if I did anything to cause it or if Hasbro's quality control just sucks. I haven't found any other pieces in my collection that have discolored. There is a window facing it but the blinds are always closed and the light that does leak out of them never directly hits my collection. We also have the heat on right now since its very cold. I wish there was something I could do.

Offline Mirnyj

• Siamese PurrPony
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • A house is not a home without a siamese cat
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in finnish)
That's really a bummer.  :huh:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

instagram ~ facebook ~ online store

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
I don't think it's sunlight... many members have reported that their G4s are discoloring and fading.  Even if they kept them in dark drawers or in storage boxes. 

The QC on this era of children's toys is absolutely awful since they've had to remove all the "harmful" chemicals that act as stabilizers...  :( 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Princess Lala

A lot of my older G4s head colors are mismatching their bodies! xD My Daisy Dreams is starting to do that, as well as my Twilight Sparkle that came with my RC car! My Pinkie Pies boutique looks fine as of now, its only a matter of time! XD I think my Dewdrop Dazzle is also starting to not match anymore as well. I dont think it has anything to do with sunlight, since my ponies are in a big tote in the dark closet with no windows! I think its just aging or something funky to do with the plastic. I hope they don't look funny by the time I can make my pony room! I would be so sad....

Offline Neon Sparkle

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
Yeah, some of my G4 Ponies have always had weird discoloration but nothing I've ever noticed having gotten worse since I've had them. I'm not even sure Pinkie's head ever perfectly matched her body but it definitely has taken on a more yellowish color than it ever had before. I have most of my other Pinkie stuff in the same spot and none of them look discolored.

I do remember tho that a lot of the earlier EQG dolls I bought had particularly crummy quality control compared to later ones. The ones that have peg feet had really stringy thin hair that goes frizzy really easily.

Offline zombienixon

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Pink Pony Addict
    • View Profile
I've noticed something like it with mine, once I saw it in the light.  I think it's always had a bit of mismatch, but I can't say if it's gotten worse or not.

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
Mismatched plastic is nothing new with Hasbro.. I'm not surprised that even EQGs to some extent are affected by this issue. I only own 1 EQG and that is a Rockin' Hair Rarity, who is currently still in box till I can make space for her and my other dolls (MH Included)
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline Neon Sparkle

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile

This is a pic I took a couple of weeks ago, and I kinda see it now but it didn't stick out to me as obviously as it did when I noticed it today.

Guess I'll have to get used to Pinkie's weird looking new tan.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
Is her head made of a different type of plastic than her body?  That makes discoloration (or just being a different color in the first place) more likely.  For example, I have a pony Twilight Sparkle whose head was mismatched from Day One because her head is of a softer plastic than her body, and I guess Hasbro just didn't bother to match it up very well.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Neon Sparkle

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
Yeah, it is definitely a different type of plastic.

That bottom pic is the part of my collection that directly faces a window, but I've always had the blinds closed and there has never been sunlight directly hitting it.

The rest of my stuff is on the left side of those shelfs above my TV mostly.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 04:04:57 PM by Neon Sparkle »

Offline prancingstag

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Really bummed that my EQG Boutique Pinkie's face is noticably discoloring
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2016, 04:21:26 PM »
My EQG Pinkies, both basic and boutique, developed this "burnt" head look as well. :( I noticed it about 12 months after I bought them, and I was very picky about head/body mismatch when buying so I knew that it was deterioration. Unfortunately I think it is just a case of the hard/brittle body plastic keeping its colour better than the squishy/soft heads. My basic Rainbow Dash also got a discoloured head, hers went all light green. I've since packed away the collection but at the time I thought Twilight also had a very subtle colour change turning darker blue, and possibly Rarity going a bit creamy, but I'd have to dig them out to see if it's worsened since. The arms are bendy/squishy plastic and my version of Pep Rally Applejack came with mismatched arms out of the box, her body was bright orange and the arms were darker and browner, so I believe her head might be susceptible to change too.

Hopefully this deterioration only applies to the first year dolls, because everything Rainbow Rocks and later has hard/brittle heads, and arms matching the hard body plastic, so I think they would be fine.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2016, 04:15:34 PM »
Wow thats quite a difference! Unfortunately it is something that could happen and there is nothing you can really do to stop it. Different plastics age and react to their environments differently - that must be what is happening here.

I am so sorry!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Neon Sparkle

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2016, 07:13:04 PM »
Last night I also noticed 2 or 3 ebay auctions of that particular Pinkie MIB with the same discoloration, So it's probably something I'll have to just deal with since If I got another one it potentially would just happen again.

It's not as noticeable in certain lighting, which is probably why I hadn't noticed it before.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 07:14:39 PM by Neon Sparkle »

Offline Catlein

• Pony of Law
  • Trade Count: (+59)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Canadian law student obsessed with MLP and MH :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2016, 10:32:16 PM »
Yeah, that's normal for that doll. Mine looks the same!

Offline Tak

• Lost in the clouds Unicorn
  • No Transactions
  • Trade Count: (+72)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2016, 06:37:24 AM »
It happened to mine, too. The rainbow rocks dolls don't seem to have the same trouble.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal