collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Monster High returns again!  (Read 41812 times)

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Monster High returns again!
« Reply #360 on: November 26, 2023, 06:43:44 AM »
Forum ate my long post :cool:

Essentially, what I was saying was that some characters were turned into negative stereotypes that are accepted (Lagoona, the emotional Latina who has aggressive outbursts - I'm not Mexican so I won't tell others to feel offended by this but I picked up on it and thought it weird) while others got their characters minimized to be "less offensive" (Abbey's accent no longer being thick, her not talking a lot about her culture anymore and not being funny).

I was also clarifying that I didn't want the human vs monster thing in G1 to last forever. But that I had a feeling what they did with it was too risky and therefore they shifted the focus more on MH being not THE monster school monsters have to go for safety, but simply a good place for monsters to be accepted no matter what they are.

That's why I find it so tonedeaf to do another us vs them but with another type of monster, while tooting the "we are more obviously diverse than G1" horn.
I tried to formulate everything a little better than my previous post (and make less typos) but one click on the wrong button and my post was gone  :lol:

Post Merge: November 26, 2023, 07:49:54 AM

In other news, Howliday Edition Cleo got leaked. This is the doll I have to overpay for, I just adore her. She looks like the goddess Isis or Nephtys with the headpiece and wings. I hope she won't get changed too much until the final release because she is a perfect gold angel:

Spoiler
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
« Last Edit: November 26, 2023, 07:49:54 AM by Zapper »

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: November 27, 2023, 09:45:40 AM »
I have to admit, I don't watch the cartoons/movies.  Nor did I watch the g1 cartoons.  I would put them on for my niece while I worked but nothing I heard made them appealing.  Frankie in love again.  Or Cleo. It does sound like I missed a lot though. 

I love the dolls  and just insert my own characters for them. 

For G3, I really like Draculaura.  Venus and Abbey look good too.

I also love the G1 styled re-release dolls.  I've only bought one because of their prices but the  Howliday Edition Cleo looks incredible.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2023, 09:54:35 AM by brightberry »
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #362 on: November 27, 2023, 01:57:45 PM »
I have to admit that Cleo looks amazing. I always did have a soft spot for G1 Cleo dolls.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline shes-so-unusual

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Fakie!
  • Lifelong Pony Lover! G1 Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: November 27, 2023, 06:31:04 PM »
Just bought my first G3 MH doll yesterday, Monster Ball Draculaura. So excited for her to get here!

Offline shockponie

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: November 28, 2023, 08:42:21 AM »
Just bought my first G3 MH doll yesterday, Monster Ball Draculaura. So excited for her to get here!

Yay, she’s really cool! :biggrin: I haven’t unboxed mine yet, but I should soon.
Avatar by Shenanigans; Sig by Shaiyeh

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: December 11, 2023, 07:11:36 AM »
https://www.youloveit.com/dolls/3181-monster-high-howliday-love-edition-draculaura-and-clawd-2-pack-doll-set-2024.html

Better than the Deuce/Cleo one for sure, but these Valentines sets make me wonder... will they just release Frankie with like, 4 guys in the future? :lol: I think her crushes were: Jackson and Holt, Andy, unicorn boy nobody bought.

If they really want to sell these they should make a Scarah/Invisibilly one.

PS: Clawd is so Disco/Saturday Night Fever here but Lala is just her usual Gothic Lolita thing :lol:
« Last Edit: December 11, 2023, 07:14:16 AM by Zapper »

Online Lady Frostbite

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Absolutely Abbeylicious!
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: December 11, 2023, 11:44:00 AM »
It bothers me his jacket and pants are not a matching colour when I thought they were on first glance, argh!!

Hem-hem, his name is Neightan Rot and he was so sweet, I liked him best out of all Frankie's potential love interests. His 3D model was far cuter than his doll, the look didn't quite translate.

I would assume 'Goona and Gil would be next, or *shudder* Abbey and Heath. I swear, they keep trying to make them a pair when Heath is one of *the* most annoying male characters and my girl Abbey deserves SO much more!

If the rights were there, a Catty and Pharaoh would be amazing!

The odds of a Ghoulia and Slow-Mo one are slim, despite being an OG, consistant couple

Signature image artwork done by the talented Starscout!
MLP Gameloft game friend code : 29c831

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: December 12, 2023, 05:28:26 AM »

The odds of a Ghoulia and Slow-Mo one are slim, despite being an OG, consistant couple

I remember there used to be a Ghoulia/Slomo two-pack in which Ghoulia had a beehive. It never made it here, so I don't know how well it did but Ghoulia is a fan favorite so maybe we might even see them before Frankie gets a Valentines. Gil/Lagoona also ever got one two-pack (the roller rink date) so if Mattel is smart they'll get fun themes like those back for the sets should they continue the trend.
The Cleo/Deuce one is the big shelfsitter of the alumni releases, it seems. Honestly, I would have gotten it for the side-glancing Cleo alone but the price point is just nuts, 70€ for that mess of garish colors.

Offline freezestime

• Forever and Always the Prom Queen
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: December 14, 2023, 05:36:25 AM »
There's a two pack of Slo Mo and Ghoulia with a bouquet of brains sdo that might be what you're thinking about?
Freezestime's Masterlist! https://bit.ly/3x1te5n
Dedicated G2 thread! https://bit.ly/3vIIJhL
Dedicated G2 V2.0 thread! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,403447.msg1880080/topicseen.html#new
Forgotten Toy lines! [urlhttps://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=395090.150[/url]

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #369 on: December 15, 2023, 02:20:20 PM »
I think I actually have Neighthan, from a lot of dolls from a carboot or something *lol*. I liked Frankie best with Jackson because there was a bigger narrative there that I found more interesting.

But then I also like Jackson. So.

I do remember seeing a Ghoulia/Slomo set here way back in the Brent TRU, but that store used to have all kinds of old Monster High stuff it randomly put out on shelves when it had a sort out so I am not sure when in the line it came out. Store is long since defunct now unfortunately. It was a great TRU.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2023, 02:35:12 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: December 16, 2023, 04:42:21 AM »
I love Neighthan! He's so cute. Not sure why he had to be shipped with Frankie though - hasn't she got enough love interests? :p Neight himself is adorable though, I love that they did a boy doll with long hair.

Offline shockponie

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: December 20, 2023, 09:43:05 AM »
Have you guys seen the leaked dolls?
Spoiler
Lagoona actually looks really cool to me. :inlove: I wasn't really feeling her prior to this. They better keep her black lips!!!

Online Lady Frostbite

• Bay Breeze Pony
  • Absolutely Abbeylicious!
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: December 20, 2023, 02:55:23 PM »
Ooo 'Goona's colours are nice! I agree, I hope they keep the darker lips!

Cleo's really staying with the blue hair. While it looks good, part of my brain keeps thinking 'That's Nefera's hair' lol

I like the 70's/hippie vibe Clawdeen has going on. Frankie looks like alt/punk, Cleo is a 60's glam vibe as well

Signature image artwork done by the talented Starscout!
MLP Gameloft game friend code : 29c831

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: December 28, 2023, 04:13:34 AM »
That's a Coachella theme, right? I think the boho stuff looks good on all of them except Frankie.
There's a Target exclusive Frankie that looks kinda Avril Lavigne that I like:
https://www.youloveit.com/dolls/3247-monster-high-welcome-committee-frankie-stein-doll.html

I am a teensy bit saddened I won't be able to get this one but glad, too, because Germany is only now rolling out more lines and we are so far behind we skipped the first Skulltimate Secrets alltogether. I was able to get Abbey for a non-scalper price for Christmas, was able to pick her out in store and everything. So I now have two of the new MHs and both have horrendous plastic hair (my first was Skulltimate Cleo with the light blue hair).
Without excessive hair treatment beforehand, what kid is able to enjoy hairplay with these? It feels and sits like straw.

Belated happy holidays, everyone  ;)

Offline shockponie

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: January 17, 2024, 07:32:29 AM »
I got Venus from Target on Monday. I need to do something about her hair’s frayed ends.  :wonder:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal