collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Style Challenge Show Off Thread!  (Read 4729 times)

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
Style Challenge Show Off Thread!
« on: April 10, 2023, 02:13:40 AM »
Please post your pictures in this thread of your custom! Anyone who took part is welcome to post, even if you didn't finish on time! Please state in your post if you're custom is in accordence with the rules of the challenge, ie. finished. Try to highlight the components of the challenge so I can see that they're included! As a refresher, here was the list:

Body Colors: Blue, Purple, Orange
Hair Colors: Red, White, Purple
Eye Color: Green
Theme: Food, includes sweets, desserts and drinks
Symbols: Sparkles
Secondary Markings: Dark points
Accessory: Animal Companion
Required Material: Beads, including any small decorative item
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Online Minty_Magic

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: Style Challenge Show Off Thread!
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2023, 03:14:17 AM »
YAY! I am SO excited to see what everyone came up with! I have seriously been dying to see how everyone interpreted the prompt. :lol:

Here is my custom, Sushi Sparkle!
(I am not good at naming LOL)

More detail shots under the break:

I got done with her a while ago…..I took some time off work and used a fair bit of that time to just sit down and finish her off since I knew I wouldn’t have much time later on!

I really struggled to incorporate Orange into the body color at first. I knew we were able to use it in the cutie mark, but at first I could think of many foods with orange in them! I also for sure wanted to use it in the cutie mark because it felt easiest for me to use blue/purple to do the dark points on her body. Then I realized Sushi can look kind of orange! So that was the theme I ran with. I also gave her glittery orange and red eyeshadow to further draw that orange in. :) Her cutie mark has painted sparkle symbols, but also a layer of glitter varnish as well.

Her animal friend there is meant to be a Snow Fox. What does a fox have to do with Sushi? Well, the name brand of the Sushi I buy at the grocery store is actually Snow Fox, so voila! :P I thought of making a fish, but that seemed too morbid haha, so she has a little fish charm on her necklace instead!

I went with 3 simple blocks of color in her hair to show off the colors required for the challenge. I went with a shade of pink for the red, white, and then a deep purple for her hair. Then, to ensure she had plenty of sparkle I gave her some tinsel in her hair too!

It was definitely a challenge to hit on all the required points of the challenge, but overall I’m very happy with how my custom turned out! Coming up with general ideas is usually the hardest part of making customs for me, so a challenge like this was an awesome way to get my creative gears going!

Thank you to Squarepeg for my avatar!

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2023, 03:29:04 AM »
Minty Magic I LOVE Sushi Sparkle & Snow Fox!!!

Mine are here:

I had a Mum & Baby Pony bait in blue waiting, so I did them, & the animal friend is crocheted.

Mum is called Hotcake Griddle, & has Scottish pancakes on her rump, cooking on a griddle

The Baby is Crepe Flipper, & has a crepe being flipped from a frying pan as her symbol

And the animal friend is Perky the Pig
The three are my Mardi Gras set (food, plus sparkles, plus beads??? HAD to!!!)

Dip-dyeing is hard people, especially with a Crumpet pose phony whose tail-hole is weird...
They were a challenge to do, but I love them overall. All the shades of hair are festive in nature. The red is the same shade as Strawberry Fair's red, the purple is called Silk Gown, & the white is a sparkling shade called Diamond.
I also recalled the G3 Sparkle Ponies having sparkles not just on their symbols, but on the bridges of their noses.

The pancakes are a yellow-orange, with orange glitter to enhance them, making them look like they're cooking.
They're not perfect, but they're mine & I like them
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Offline starscout

• Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
    • Pony blog
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2023, 09:59:19 AM »
Minty Magic & PBW, your customs turned out wonderful! :happy: I'll upload mine once I've woken up a bit more lol

art commissions non-MLP sales post

Offline Heart Of Midnight

• The Happy Birthday pony!
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2023, 01:21:31 PM »
This is so exciting and fun!  :frolic:

Oh! Minty_Magic and Ponybookworm, your ponies and their friends are so incredibly gorgeous and cute!  :lovey:

-------------

Dear people of Arena, may I introduce my pony; Mustikka - Blueberry Soup and Choco the Hedgehog!

Spoiler

It's been several years since I last made a pony, at least 6 or 7 years. Despite its many faults, I am satisfied with this end result and especially with that hedgehog, because it was my very first time working with Fimo plasticine.

My pony has all the required colors, themes, decorations and a friend.

Body Colors: Blue, Purple, Orange
She has blue legs and the insides of her ears. They are straight from a blue acrylic color tube, although the color looks quite purple on the pony. The pony's body is light purple in color and dark purple can be found in the symbol. The orange color can be found in the symbol.

Hair Colors: Red, White, Purple
All these colors can be found in hair.
I found a ball of yarn from my mother in which these colors alternated, so it was easy to start cutting shorter pieces for pony hair. The tail was very laborious to put in place! The tail opening on this fake pony is really tight, but fortunately stretchable. I even cut the iron wire twice, until I realized to use a plastic gift string with which I could pull the tail into place! I also had to have leather gloves and some kind of small pliers to help me. 
Putting the mane on the pony was easy, it went nicely with the help of the iron wire.

Eye Color: Green
I think this was the hardest thing of all! I don't have very steady hands and I don't like such precise work. My own eyes seemed to go crooked in this work! I might need glasses. Well, those green eyes are there.

Theme: Food, includes sweets, desserts and drinks
It's blueberry soup. A bowl of soup and blueberries are in the symbol of the pony.
( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bl%C3%A5b%C3%A4rssoppa )

Symbols: Sparkles
Glitter can be found in the symbol's bowl. I could have put glitter on her forehead too, but with pearls it would have been too much..

Secondary Markings: Dark points
These can be found in her ears and feet.

Accessory: Animal Companion
Choco is her best friend. He has just woken up from hibernation and luckily Mustika had some blueberries in her freezer from which the hedgehog gets plenty of energy!
Made from Fimo modeling wax and painted darker with acrylic paints.

Required Material: Beads, including any small decorative item
Beads representing blueberries can be found on her symbol and on her head. Gluing these was quite tricky, but it still worked out well!
:zzz:

Offline Ponybookworm

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2023, 02:15:34 PM »
FLUFFY!!!
And she & her hedgehog are gorgeous!!!
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Offline starscout

• View Profile
    • Pony blog
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2023, 02:18:41 PM »
 HoM, Blueberry Soup and Choco look amazing! I love that hair!

Alrighty, here's my girl, Moonmelon, and her bunny friend, Melune. I am terrible at taking photos, so please bear with me. ^^;

Back in 2012, there was this Internet hoax that I remember popping up on Tumblr often about a type of watermelon called a moonmelon. The rind is green like any run-of-the-meal watermelon, but cutting it open would reveal its gorgeous royal blue flesh (this bit sounds so weird out of context lol). I wanted my pony's food theme to go well with the colors. At first, I was going to base her off some sorta cocktail, but then I just happened to remember the old moonmelon hoax and went along with that instead.

Spoiler

Moonmelon uses Majesty as a base. Her pose was perfect; It has that regal look I was going for. I decided to dye her rather than painting on a base coat. I'm still getting used to dying ponies, so it is pretty uneven, especially around the face. I used dark blue for the points, which, on her legs and ears were painted to resemble the stripes on watermelon rinds (the ears are actually meant to look like "moonmelon" slices). Her green eyes are also supposed to resemble the rind. I didn't get too creative with incorporating the orange. Using chalk pastels, I just put it where I felt like it would fit. Alongside the sparkles painted on her body, I put glitter on the fleshy melon parts. Her hair uses a blend of Glory 2.0 (purple), Pink Satin ("red"), and Angel (white) from Shimmerlocks. I know it's really hard to see, but I swear there's pink in there. :unsure: I also incorporated the beads into her hairstyle.

Spoiler

In keeping with the moon theme, I decided to make the animal companion a bunny. I sculpted her with clay then flocked her with small bits of yarn. I used beads for her eyes and gave her another bead to hold, just because it looked moonmelony enough. :silly: She also has some glitter on the crescent moon on her forehead.

Thank you so much for hosting this challenge, BC! As I mentioned in the other thread, this project really helped to reinvigorate my love for making customs. I hope we can do this again someday.  :biggrin:

Offline Ponybookworm

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2023, 02:24:33 PM »
Starscout what a gorgeous Pony & bunny friend!!!

Online Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2023, 02:47:09 PM »
Aaahh I'm loving this thread already! Great interpretations!

Minty_Magic, she's so pretty! Sushi is such a wonderful theme. I can't believe how similar many of your choices are to mine, from the sparkles to the orange eyeshadow :lol: And what a cute fox friend, I love the sparkle and the story behind this choice!

Ponybookworm, Wow, you actually had time for TWO customs! They make a great set. I love the baby's symbol especially, the style is very much like official Hasbro MLP and I can just see the movement of the crepe being flipped! And the little pig is ADORABLE, I really wish I knew how to crochet!

H.O.M., yay for mustikka! What a clever use of beads, they really look like little berries. And I'm in love with that fluffy hair! Choco the Hedgehog is super cute, I'd love to see more of your Fimo sculptures. ^.^

Starscout, Ooh a unicorn pose! She looks dreamy, I absolutely love your original idea and all the details like the eyes resembling melon rind! And look at the fluffy bunny!!

Here's mine! I believe the pony meets all the challenge criteria, but was completed late and in any case as a Mod I prefer to skip the prize draw.

Meet Mango Bubble and her panda friend named Boba :mango: (Sorry for the dark photos...)

Like Minty_Magic, I thought the easiest way to incorporate orange would be to choose a food in that colour. Bubble tea is a recent-ish find for me and such a fun drink, so mango bubble tea is what I decided to go with. Then I had this idea of incorporating even more orange(-brown) in the form of a red panda. That was before the votes for animal companion were in - however the choice was easy since my symbol design already had an animal.  :P

Her hair has white (no label on the bag but I think it corresponds to DH Blizzard), pink (Old Bubblegum), and three different shades of purple (Hematite, Sour Grapes, Deadly Nightshade).

I used small black beads as tapioca bubbles in the tea, and in the pony's hair accessory. Boba the Panda was sculpted with Fimo polymer clay and painted in acrylics. (My first attempt with Apoxie Sculpt totally failed, and I almost scrapped this one, too!). Boba can hold the tea container in their paws but since the paint was still fresh, I didn't insert it for photos. I'll seal the paint later.

Thanks, BC, for coming up with this fun challenge! I really love everone's results and I'm very happy with my own, especially as I would never have thought of combining all these colours. :D I think in the future I'll have to be bold and go for contrasting colours more often.

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2023, 02:59:20 PM »
All these ponies are awesome so far! I love how everyone used the prompts, you guys are so creative! Everyone so far is entered into the prize drawing, except Griffin as per your request.

Just because I'm bummed I couldn't do mine in time, my theme was going to be carrot cake! With orange as the main color (obvs) and a bunny friend.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2023, 03:21:41 PM »
Wow!  Everyone has done such an amazing job!  Well done everyone!

Here's mine:

Plum Wild with her penguin friend Plum Adorable.

I was originally planning to do something in pale orange with purple tips and pastel colored hair and then the name happened and it changed up everything.  I was even going to use a bait Posey but decided that the bait Truly I had was a better pose for her name.

So instead she is light blue with dark blue tips (which don't show up very well in some of the pictures, but I promise they're there) and an orange splash behind a sparkly plum as her symbol.  She also got cute orange freckles because I thought they'd be cute.  The pastel pink I was going to use in her hair became the brighter shade but the other two were in my original plan.  And her little penguin friend is made of Perler beads.

More images under the spoiler:
Spoiler

And I couldn't resist creating a Bushwoolie to join them.

He's made of resin with blue and green glitter and turned out pretty cute.  :)

Offline Goanna

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2023, 05:18:16 PM »
Wow, you guys have all done amazing!!! These are so fun to look at and see how everyone interpreted the prompts :D

Offline Ponybookworm

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2023, 05:20:41 PM »
Griffin, WOW!!! She & her panda are stunning!!!

Pokey, love her, so cute, & love her freckles. And another unique craft for the mal friend!!!

Offline starscout

• View Profile
    • Pony blog
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2023, 06:13:33 PM »
 Griffin, they're stunning! I really love Mango Bubble's hair colors. The symbols look so well done, too!
 Very cute, Pokeyonekenobie! Love those names lol. Plum Adorable is great! I used to be obsessed with perler bead sprites. It's great to see people are still making them. :happy:

Online Minty_Magic

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2023, 01:11:14 AM »
Holy cow! The entries so far are so incredible! It’s fun to see what some of us had similar ideas on and where we really differed!

Ponybookworm, wow! You got two customs done, I am impressed! They both look fabulous, I love the G3 style glitter on their faces! It is a great touch. The crochet animal friend is absolutely darling too!

HoM, Mustikka is absolutely precious! The use of beads as the blueberries is brilliant, they work perfectly with your pony! Her little friend is darling too!

Starscout, I love the concept behind Moonmelon! I remember that post going around Tumblr. I forgot all about it but straight up Moonmelons totally sound like they should be a food that exists in the pony universe :lol: Your custom is so glittery and fun, I love her!

Griffin, Mango Bubble and Boba both look incredible! Your symbols are so crisp and detailed, they are stunning! The sculpt work on Boba is absolutely fantastic as well!

Pokeyonekenobie, Plum wild looks fantastic! Her lil freckles are so cute, and the rearing pose is perfect for her! Crafting her animal friend out of beads was also a brilliant way to use a coup,e of the prompts in one!

Thank you to Squarepeg for my avatar!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal